• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I can press heavier than I can get to the starting position what to do?

kindred

can do standing press heavier than i can get to the starting position. I do standing press outside cause im too tall for it in my shed... o my shed is to small what ever :p I dont know how to power clean properly yet and even if i did have better form i cant power clean that weight :S

any advice?

Get these:
BD-3%20_Squat_Stands.jpg

You could get them for $150.
Can use for squats and other pressing movements too.

This sounds odd. What kind of weight are you doing on your overhead presses? I generally like to get weight in position manually, and the weight that I can get up usually corresponds to the weight that I can press (overhead dumbbell's).

I could Have got 60kg but couldnt get it to the starting position. Im talking about standing military press.

55kkg - 60kg

I have to agree there is a huge difference, which is why I struggle wif it so much. but from an already standing position it shouldnt take long for me to break through.
How ever if your picking it up from the ground then its a shit load more then just a Military press, in fact its not at all. Its a Clean and jerk until you get it in the air and then your asking your shoulders to press it after yourve spent a considerable amount of energy just getting it in the air.
If you are not trying to perfect the movement of Clean and Jerk then I would probably not bother at all, cos your just gonna do yourself a mischief.
Stick to a DB style standing press until you can get some type of stands to preform proper Military's, you'll get just as much out of that if not more.
Or
You could try going up in smaller increments if thats possible for you, like 1.1/4kg plates.

Those thing Hulk posted looked cool but I dont really want to spend any money at the moment... damn you financial crisis :p

Seriously tho If i had the cash thats exactly what id get. I guess my only other option is to learn the power clean.

Kindred, you doing these outside you say?
You got a tree?
Does it have branches?
Tie a couple of loops of rope from a branch and slide your bar into the loops.
Then load your plates on.

Now you can do overhead press from starting position.

Your full of really goods suggestions lately Hulk, thanks.

Unfortunately I dont have any trees at my house :( Im sure Ill be ok with cleaning it up there.

Bolt a couple of angle brackets onto the wall of your house at shoulder height.
You can then do squats and overhead press.

Or just do the easy thing and clean the weight to your shoulders !!!!!!!!