• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

If I were 16-18 and starting training...

Oli

This goes out to buncey and a few other new guys on here.

Philosophy:
- I'd stay away from muscle mags, gym bros, supplement stores and anyone else that had something to sell me
- I'd know that a stronger muscle is a bigger muscle, and I'd fight everyday to get an extra 2.5kg on my squat, bench and deadlift

Training:
- I'd pick a basic program (Starting Strength or Markos' beginner program) and plug at it x3 a week.
- I'd not use anything but a barbell. Not because dumbbells and machines are useless but because regardless of gym crowds I can always rely on them to be there and put on the muscle I'm after.

Nutrition/recovery/supplements:
- I'd be broke so apart from a generic protein powder I wouldn't blow my money on any stupid supplements
- I'd eat 4 square meals a day, and drink 2L of milk everyday if I wanted to gain weight
- I'd stay active outside the gym - whether it be football on a friday afternoon, sprint backs or a sparring session a week, I'd keep it simple.

Purchases:
- I WOULD NOT BUY ANY DUMB SUPPLEMENTS
- I would ask santa for a copy of Starting Strength and a pair of weightlifting shoes for christmas
- I would get used to shopping at cotton on because im going to outgrow some clothes

If I had done this I would have been a lean 80-90kg with a 140/100/200 total by the time I'd finished school.

That's basically it oli but can I add. Don't take it too seriously, you don't want to burn out. Slowly build your passion and make it a lifetime thing.

The sexy personal trainers at the gym are not the best people to get a weight lifting program from... :p

Running on a treadmill endlessly is the most mind numbing way to burn calories.

Lifting the same weight every week will get you no where.

Doing kickbacks not only make you look like a dick but are a waste of time.

I did plenty wrong, but it was all part of the learning proccess. the problem was I was ill directed for years.
Being told to eat cream donuts and pizza to bulk up. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Too busy playing total annihilation/quake 2 and 3, CS, unreal tournament and that chick with the big knockers at school at age 16-18 to even know strength training existed

I did plenty wrong, but it was all part of the learning proccess. the problem was I was ill directed for years.
Being told to eat cream donuts and pizza to bulk up. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
But at least it tasted good right?

Just like everything else in life, we learn from our mistakes. That way we can do it properly in the future.

Did it taste good? It was fucking fantastic...
Pizza, ribs and garlic bread combo at Arnolds was sensational.. hahahaha

If you can squat do it.

Given a choice, do overhead pressing rather than bench pressing

For overhead pressing, use dumbbells more often than barbells.

Try all forms of pulling from the floor...ie, dead lifts, SLDL and trap bar work.

Farmers walks will do more for you than most trainees realize.

Pullups and dips work for most people.

Dumbbell rows and shrugs are good.

A little arm work does the body good.

Machines are not the enemy.

Experiment and have fun.

Sets, reps and how many days a week you train is up to you and your ability to recover from one workout to another.

Eat more protein than carbs, more carbs than fats.
Eat more fruits and vegetables than grains.

Drink plenty of water.

Pick an activity that allows you to improve your conditioning.

Make lifting apart of your life, a means to improve it.

Don't let it be a focus on your life.

Maintain a tranquil mind and outlook on life.

Conduct yourself in a way that reflects well on lifting.

Encourage others to take up lifting.