• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I'm 58 years old

J

jackc

Hi everyone John is my name I'm 58 years old and haven't exercised for years. Used to be right into surfing, jogging, martial arts and was very fit although "not built".
Then I went into business for myself and that's when I started to stop all my activities. These days I am of average build I guess. height 5' 3" tall and weigh around 65kgs. When I was fit I weighed around 53kgs.
I have a bit of a gut and don't sleep well and my blood pressure is high.

In terms of food, I eat well, mainly veges, chicken and fish.
Don't eat red meat as my wife had breast cancer and her oncologist suggested she not eat red meat so we have stuck to that for the last 7 years, I rarely any junk food.

l have always wanted to get into bodybuilding however other issues kept putting this on the back burner.

I'd say I have left my run too late at my age however I thought I would still try.
Have no Idea where to start except some years ago (around 10) I bought the book "body for life" and I did use some of the exercises in that for some 3 months. The meal regime of 6 meals a day was indeed hard for me to stick to and I soon stopped.

In any case I would appreciate some comments and advice from those who might suggest where to start.

Are there any members who know of any men who have had success starting at an older age.
Kind Regards to all

Hi John, It's never too late to start. I have not read the 'Body For life' book but have heard it's a decent read.
If sticking to 6 meals a day is a little difficult fo you maybe you could supplement a meal or 2 with a protein shake. As for training 2-3 weight sessions per week training you full body per workout will be a good way to start.

Good on ya John.

Ive seen quite a few in there 60+ years come into the gym looking had and used by life and after just a very short while looking great, ripped, happy and full of positive energy.
I know you'll enjoy it and Shrek who posted you above is a great source of good usable info.
Welcome to the crew:):):)

thats so awesome! weight training is just the best- you'll love it! and be careful- its addictive! :-D

6 males a day isn`t for everyone.A sports nutritionalist who worked for an AFL club used to tailor meals for each player based on their individual constitution.
Some had the standard 3 while others had 4,5 or 6.
3 standard meals a day plus a few protein shakes and healthy snacks can be effective, especially if you are just starting out.
Congrats on starting anyway.As has been said already,you are never too old and you will knock years of your age.In a few months you will be feeling like a teenager again.
Go for it!

Wow thanks everyone for your positive words they have really enthused me to get into it cheers to all
and yeh six females per day is something I could handle! (at least my brain thinks it can LOL)

Last edited:
Lower your sex drive Jacky boy.
From your head down to your loins!

文法的にちょっと変な文章ジャックさん!
しかし意味わかる。。。。