• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

increasing vertical jump

TrentZor

Alex Sutton came to PTC sydney 9 weeks ago with a goal of increasing his vertical jump and conditioning to finally one day dunk the ring with ease.

His first jump attempt was 282cm and now it is 290.5cm..
His original squat was 100x1 its now 112x3.
Keep up the good work alex your hard work is paying off

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTFAYZrp5Ro]PTC Sydney - Alex Sutton testing his vertical jump - YouTube[/ame]

AlexJumpWeek9.jpg

That's good analysis of training Trent, Well done :)

I would also be very interested in sprint & agility sprint times as well.

ben - ill be measuring him in a beep test and short sprint soon. I didnt have a chance to do this when he started. I reckon he could pull some decent numbers.

edit.. He plays competitive basketball and would like to get into the NBL one day.. With his work ethic i dont see why not.

Talk about commitment he travels 40min one way 3 times a week to train here. Some people complain about travelling 15min to get to their gym.

Now with the cage packed up Ill buy it next on the list..

Cert 4? Hahahah.. Nah I gotta to do it soon.. "might" learn something..

Did his sprint time increase as well over the same period?

I play basketball and am interested in increasing vert / speed - any tips to share?

wingman - I didnt get a chance to test his sprint times. I will during the next phase of his training. Currently i am deloading him for a week as he isn't recovering as well between matches. (work stress and family commitments add up).. He has mentioned his agility increasing as he outruns maneuver (im not a basketball coach so don't quote me :)) opponents who have marked him before last season. Only advice is get stronger on legs. Do lots of explosive type training and do plyometrics 15min after each session and most importantly WATCH your recovery if your in season. I made the mistake of pushing him on week 6 of the program and saw his lifts stall.

oldcorrolas - I managed to write down on a scrap paper what all his measurements before the training started. I fail sometimes at remembering where i put shit. So i just take pics now. :D

DetailsAle1x.jpg

So his reach was 228cm
And i was wrong his initial jump was 280cm not 282cm.. So basically his increased 11cm on his vertical.
Ive set his goal to be 3.2m to easily dunk the ring. This means another 29cm to go.

Last edited:
You can incorporate plyo's as a dynamic warm up before squats as well (this is probably how I would go about it unless you do a squat-jump complex).

Check out DeFranco's site, he's like the vert master lol

Do a sport science degree and aquire skills in cynicism.....

funny story..
Theres a girl bess who i train casually on saturdays. Shes got one of those Sport Science degrees. Shes never done a deadlift before. I pushed her to 90kg deadlift and she now loves it and is bringing her BF sometime soon.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZOmWIGOO7g]PTC Sydney - Bess 80kg Deadlift - YouTube[/ame]

You can incorporate plyo's as a dynamic warm up before squats as well (this is probably how I would go about it unless you do a squat-jump complex).

Check out DeFranco's site, he's like the vert master lol

LOl believe it or not his warmup book costs $150 contains everything for sports and i have incorporated bits and pieces of it into the warmups..

funny story..
Theres a girl bess who i train casually on saturdays. Shes got one of those Sport Science degrees. Shes never done a deadlift before. I pushed her to 90kg deadlift and she now loves it and is bringing her BF sometime soon.

PTC Sydney - Bess 80kg Deadlift - YouTube

I have had an extended conversation with my ESSA rep about Sport Science and its S&C skills.

The running theme is S&C is a specialization and this requires a Masters or ASCA qualification.

I 'sort of' agree.....

When training people for vert be very careful of there knees. I wanted to increase vert for footy. Did lots of jumps, as well as other training. Knees got sore but pushed through it. Ended up with patella tendinitis bad enough that I couldn't do a 1/4 bw squat and 2 years out of footy.

Good luck with it though, seems to be working well so far.

There should be streams available for those who arent into research or straight ex phys testing. Sadly all you have is a master degree or ASCA accreditation.

True Dave I did the asca Cert and mini exam as it was in my opinion a better avenue then sports science (no offence) to the guys who have done it.. not many streams available