• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Individual muscle groups vs half/full body splits.

Do you train a couple of muscle groups per session or employ a full/half body split?

• Total voters

Repacked

Punxsutawney resident
For those of you training for hypertrophy do you train one or two muscle groups at a time or do you use a half or whole body split e.g. upper/lower etc? Have you found this effective?

Individual, but have started grouping 2-3 in one session as I can only get to gym 2-3 times a week now due to our new born baby girl.

How many tines per week and what sort of volume per muscle groujp?

Every three days now, this seems to give me enough time to recover.

one set of each exercise to fatigue, roughly 120 seconds under load
leg ext
leg press
leg curl
lower back
pullover
pulldown
fly
chest press
reverse fly
chest supported row
forearm curl
4 way neck

How do you measure progress? Do you log # reps to failure.

90~120 seconds jungnort, when I reach 120 I add weight [5%] that usually brings me back down to around 100-115 seconds.

its not for everyone, I thought I wouldn't like it either, but doing this helps me focus on the repitition each rep is around the 6 second mark.

i measure full reps, I don't count the partial or negative reps I do.

My weekly cycle:

Legs (squats);
Chest (bench);
Back (chin-ups);
Shoulders (press);
Arms (sometimes biceps and triceps on subsequent days, sometimes the same day);

A couple of days rest (not necessarily consecutive).
Parts are not always in this order (although legs are always first, they tire me out the most).

Upper/Lower 4 days per week.

Upper: press 5x5, chins reverse pyramid, isolation stuff high reps
press 3x12, rest the same
Lower: deadlift variation mod volume, assistance stuff targeted to back
deadlift variation, assistance stuff targeted at quads, hams.

5 day split (quads, back/abs, chest/shoulders, hamstrings/calves, arms). Quite a lot of volume. About 5 exercises per muscle group in the range of 3x10. I find that a lot of variety keeps it interesting so I stick to it.

When I am focusing on Strength - more fullbody style workouts - when working on getting dem guns bigger I'll split everything up 1-2 muscle groups each workout.

Upper/Lower 4 days per week.

Upper: press 5x5, chins reverse pyramid, isolation stuff high reps
press 3x12, rest the same
Lower: deadlift variation mod volume, assistance stuff targeted to back
deadlift variation, assistance stuff targeted at quads, hams.

No squat?