• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Intermittent Fasting register

JJ234

Hey guys,

Who's tried Intermittent Fasting and had great results?
I'll go first, me.
I'll go into the why for me first so you have some context. I had my gallbladder removed 2yrs ago & i needed to improve my gut health, reduce stress on my liver. And also, i have diabetes in my family so i need to keep the belly fat off & reduce my insulin. But thirdly, i wanted to increase my GH, yes Growth Hormone. GH needs no introduction here so increasing it naturally makes sense right?

IF may seem controversial to some, as the bodybuilding world says you have to eat every 2-3hrs or 6-8x a day and cant consume more than 30g protein in 1 serve, but honestly i personally think as much as you can get gains from this eating pattern, it generally tends to lead to overeating or over fueling & there are more researched benefits from an IF style diet from a health point of view. But there also huge gains for those who stick to it, think Terry Crews here, that man is a machine @ 6'2 & 111kg & he's in his 50's!!!

So what is IF? Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern where you cycle between periods of eating and fasting. It does not say anything about which foods to eat, but rather when you should eat them. There are several different intermittent fasting methods, all of which split the day or week into eating periods and fasting periods.

Many studies show that this can cause weight loss, improve metabolic health, protect against disease and perhaps help you live longer and increase that all important GH.

This video goes into detail about how to do it if your really interested and wanted to give it a try. Now you don't have to just go to a full blown IF style pattern everyday, you will still get benefits from doing IF every other day or even a few days in a row through the week and then eating often on weekends. So many ways to get into this.

But if you are generally interested in improving your health, losing the belly fat while maintaining your current macros then i don't believe there is a better way to do things naturally.

So what do i do?
I'm 5'7 & 85kg sitting in the 10-12% BF range.
I do a 16/8. I eat my last meal by 7pm & first meal to break my fast at 11am.
I'm currently having around 2200cals.

I train in the mornings and i generally lift heavy, powerlifting style training.
So the question i get asked is how can i lift with no fuel in my body & no protein to recover?
My first drink when i wake is glass of water followed by black coffee and MCT oil. See here to know more about MCT oil & health benefits. To put simply this is my fat source and i use this for energy.
My intra drink has BCAA's in it. Yes this technically breaks a fast due to having calories but does not trigger an insulin response and it is an accepted supplement.
BCAA's is basically pure protein. So there you have it.

Then i wait til 11am where i break my fast with yoghurt, green drink, banana & apple.
12pm is my first main meal & this has about 800cals, 60g prot, 70g carbs, 20g fat.
3pm is next meal & this has about 700cals 60g prot, 60g carbs, 15g fat.
6pm dinner 5-600cals & more of the same.

So high in protein, high in fats & high in fiber. I get bloods checked regularly so i know my liver is 100% ok.
Carbs fluctuate, the days i train heavy can have more and less on days i rest. Just think of it this way, your body only needs fuel when it really needs it, don't fuel it when your not using a lot of energy as this is what leads to overeating and that dreaded belly fat us blokes find so difficult to remove.

Feel free to post up any questions or post up what you are doing in your IF style eating plan.
Cheers

Not for me.

I just eat 3-4 times per day.

Small meal at breakfast because I don’t feel hungry at 6.00am.
Some food around 9.00 or 10.00.
Bigger meal around lunch and a bigger dinner.
I count all my calories.