• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is my diet "good enough" or just terrible?

megaphoenix

My diet is pretty much the following every day:
Breakfast = 4 Weet Bix, Two pieces of white bread toast (with peanut butter) and coffee
Lunch = 100g of Pasta
Dinner = various vegetables and meats
Snack = 50g of Peanuts
After Workout Drink = 2 Eggs, 250ml of Milk, 25g of Powdered Milk and a serving of AST Sports Science VP2 (all mixed in one drink). The rest is water.

I rarely eat any "actual" junk food (like chocolate or biscuits) and if i eat anything not listed here, its usually a few rolls with either peanut butter or sliced meat.

Considering im at the point where im now lifting 8kg free weights, is there anything seriously wrong with my diet? my protein intake is just over 100g and i also take creatine before my workout.

Probably a lot better than most of the population who have a extremely high sugar content diet.

Yes and no..

I see alot of people i know cut out all bad food and are left with nothing then train. So they have what 800calories or something spastic a day and wonder why nothing happens.

then they take steroids and they gain weight as they can be anabolic in a catabolic state.

Basicalyl try to eat 5 times a day protein with every meal 30% of your calories form good fats and work out the rest. 2.5 gram of protien per kg bodyweight.

What are your goals? Current weight? Height?
More protein is required at breakfast and lunch.

Considering you do not know the original posters daily activities or body weight; there is no way you can suggest the "need" for more protein. 100 grams might be sufficient. More information is required before anyone can make definitive statements.

2.5 gram of protien per kg bodyweight.

That is an extremely high recommendation. It's completely unnecessary. Dieticians, who are highly educated in this field, recommend a maximum of 1.7 grams/kg of bodyweight, and that is for high performance, elite athletes, who strength train. Olympic weightlifters, who have rigorous and frequent training sessions seldom achieve your proposed target of protein in their diets.

Far too many people over-emphasise protein in the diet. It's absolutely a necessary component of our diets, though consuming excess amounts of protein does not correlate with greater gains. You only need certain amounts, whereby excess amounts are chemically modified, usually as a fuel; though I can assure you, most people achieve their daily requirements without even knowing it; so consuming excessive amounts is unnecessary; particularly when you can divert your attention to carbohydrates instead - a far better, more efficient energy source.

That is an extremely high recommendation. It's completely unnecessary. Dieticians, who are highly educated in this field, recommend a maximum of 1.7 grams/kg of bodyweight, and that is for high performance, elite athletes, who strength train. Olympic weightlifters, who have rigorous and frequent training sessions seldom achieve your proposed target of protein in their diets.

Far too many people over-emphasise protein in the diet. It's absolutely a necessary component of our diets, though consuming excess amounts of protein does not correlate with greater gains. You only need certain amounts, whereby excess amounts are chemically modified, usually as a fuel; though I can assure you, most people achieve their daily requirements without even knowing it; so consuming excessive amounts is unnecessary; particularly when you can divert your attention to carbohydrates instead - a far better, more efficient energy source.

9 out of 10 nutritionists also recommend your kids eat Weet-Bix

The more protein thre the more individual amino acids your body ingests the more glutimine bcaa's ect ect but from your vast knowledge i wouldnt have to tell you that. Regardless of his activies the more protien we ingest the better for our bodies.

As far as AIS ect is concerned i think they reccomend eating muslie bars and rubbish They also promote soy based protein bars and the likes.

Is it not better to have an excess of somehting good for us in our system.
Apparently 100g would be enough for him if he weighs 60kg. So what a shake can have 40-60g. Oh i only need to ingest another 40 grams today. That is basically 2 shakes Without even getting started on real food. If u are ingesting 40g of protein at every meal 5 meals a day that is 200g done and dusted.

How can you reccomend carbohydrates when you do not know his specific goals?

The more protein thre the more individual amino acids your body ingests the more glutimine bcaa's ect ect but from your vast knowledge i wouldnt have to tell you that. Regardless of his activies the more protien we ingest the better for our bodies.

That is not true at all. We only need a certain amount of protein in order to meet our structural, and functional requirements. Naturally, particular training methods / intensities / frequencies will yield greater protein requirements in the diet - however - as I mentioned in my post above, 1.7 grams per kilogram of bodyweight is the 'ceiling' amount recommended.

As far as AIS ect is concerned i think they reccomend eating muslie bars and rubbish They also promote soy based protein bars and the likes.

I don't get your point here? - There is nothing wrong with achieving protein from the sources you've just mentioned - Though, no one has suggested that to be a problem?. It's the total daily intake of protein that you're recommending that I'm taking issue with.

Is it not better to have an excess of somehting good for us in our system.

Not always. Much of what we derive from food and beverages have limits of toxicity. That is, limits whereby pathological responses occur if we ingest too much. While protein is ideally "safe", long-term excessive ingestion can lead to health concerns. Granted, this is a very long-term response.

Apparently 100g would be enough for him if he weighs 60kg.

Correct. 100g of Protein is sufficient. Exceeding this, within reason, is fine. I'm not stating that he must strictly reach this level only. However, your suggestion of "2.5" is highly excessive. Not to mention, when considering the total caloric (or kilojoule) requirement of a 60kg individual who's training for hypertrophy; '150g+' of protein would make-up far too much of their total energy source derivation. I can explain this further if necessary.

How can you reccomend carbohydrates when you do not know his specific goals?

The very fact you are asking this question highlights how little you know about nutrition for health, or for exercise. Carbohydrates (CHO) is our primary fuel source. It is the most efficient source of fuel we use. It not only yields more energy (ATP) per gram; though can be broken down or modified for storage in the liver and muscle. While excess protein can be chemically modified into glucose as well; it is more taxing on the body and yields less energy (ATP).

That is not true at all. We only need a certain amount of protein in order to meet our structural, and functional requirements. Naturally, particular training methods / intensities / frequencies will yield greater protein requirements in the diet - however - as I mentioned in my post above, 1.7 grams per kilogram of bodyweight is the 'ceiling' amount recommended.

I don't get your point here? - There is nothing wrong with achieving protein from the sources you've just mentioned - Though, no one has suggested that to be a problem?. It's the total daily intake of protein that you're recommending that I'm taking issue with.

Not always. Much of what we derive from food and beverages have limits of toxicity. That is, limits whereby pathological responses occur if we ingest too much. While protein is ideally "safe", long-term excessive ingestion can lead to health concerns. Granted, this is a very long-term response.

Correct. 100g of Protein is sufficient. Exceeding this, within reason, is fine. I'm not stating that he must strictly reach this level only. However, your suggestion of "2.5" is highly excessive. Not to mention, when considering the total caloric (or kilojoule) requirement of a 60kg individual who's training for hypertrophy; '150g+' of protein would make-up far too much of their total energy source derivation. I can explain this further if necessary.

The very fact you are asking this question highlights how little you know about nutrition for health, or for exercise. Carbohydrates (CHO) is our primary fuel source. It is the most efficient source of fuel we use. It not only yields more energy (ATP) per gram; though can be broken down or modified for storage in the liver and muscle. While excess protein can be chemically modified into glucose as well; it is more taxing on the body and yields less energy (ATP).

Im too tired to argue, But if you think unfemrented soy belongs in any diet. Then the discussion ends here.

What are your goals? Current weight? Height?
More protein is required at breakfast and lunch.

goals are to gain more muscle mass (so you can see the muslces without flexing), im currently about 60-65kg and im 6 foot.

From everything i've read, approx just over 100g seems "good" (maybe not perfect,good) for protein intake. my goals are nowhere near being a athlete or a massive weight lifter too.

Im not too sure about my carb needs though. i rarely feel tired (or hungry for that matter) and i dont find it hard to "have the energy" to work out. I dont know if that has anything to do with what im eating though.

I know i should be eating more fruits and vegetables too (eg: stuff not protein related), but i was just curious in a strictly protein for building up muscles sense, is that something to be "ashamed" of for the average person who wants to look and feel stronger?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/04/0401_zac_efron_splash.jpg

thats a good example of what my goal would be. dont laugh at who it is, i just found it on google, hah. but something like that (maybe a bit more) is my goal.

If that is your goal that should be attainable in a matter of a few weeks. Aim higher.

Im not too sure about my carb needs though. i rarely feel tired (or hungry for that matter) and i dont find it hard to "have the energy" to work out. I dont know if that has anything to do with what im eating though.

if you rarely feel hungry that makes me think that you're not working out very hard. whenever i am working out hard my appetite spikes through the roof - I almost cannot get enough food. work mates and my family all notice the difference in how much more i'm eating before i do.

Definatly aim higher that the pic you posted, the shadows are making his man boobs look bigger than they are

hunger = metabolism or high cortisol level , low blood sugars..

So if you arnt getting this very often then you arnt pushing your body enough to grow.

Eat more

trian harder
sleep alot..

repeat

ahh. it might be cos im finding it harder to train. im sure what im about to say is stupid, but it might be cos im lifting weights for about 40 minutes (more or less straight) every day. ive had only about 2-3 days of no working out in the last two months. I've done a bit of research and apparently this is very very silly.

If i alternate between lifting weights every two days and then doing leg based cardio workouts on the days in between (like running) as im starting to get a bit of a belly and do want to get fitter also, then id be a lot smarter?

I still should have my intake of protein each day though, not just on my "work out" days, correct? i feel stupid for asking that, but i guess it shows im not the wisest yet :p

and yeah i do want to aim higher than the pic, its just that would be the least im happy with. If i could have of the "visible vein" arms and upper arms that constantly look tensed, then id be even happier. It'd just do wonders for my self esteem and id never have to whine about moving TV's around at work again :D

not bad compared to the average man depends what your trying to do cut the breads out