• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jon Pail Sigmarrsson

PowerBuilder

I discovered this guy tonight after a bit of surfing around looking up strength training stuff....

Source - Wikipedia

Jón Páll Sigmarsson (April 28, 1960 – January 16, 1993) was a strongman, a powerlifter , and a bodybuilder from Iceland who won the World's Strongest Man Competition four times (1984, 1986, 1988, 1990) In 1984 Jón won the Icelandic bodybuilding title in the +90 kg. class. His achievements in powerlifting also include Icelandic records in the bench press and the squat, but his best performances were usually in the deadlift event, in which he set the European record many times and multiple world records in strongman competition deadlift variations, such as the rectangular handled wheel and one handed deadlift.

In 1986, Jón first wrestled English Author and Guinness World Record Holder Sir Brian Sterling-Vete in a demonstration match for the TV news and print media held at Finnur Karlsson’s gymnasium in Reykjavik, Iceland. Halfway through the match Jón and Sterling had plotted to surprise the audience with a supposed angry outburst leading to the two of them demonstrating their skills as martial artists. This very typical ‘showmanship’ became synonymous with both Jón and Sterling.

In 1987, a contest called Pure Strength '87 was held on the grounds of Huntly Castle in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.In this event, Sigmarsson, Bill Kazmaier and Geoff Capes competed to define the strongest man of all time, where Jón Páll won 8 out of 10 events. A famous quote, "there is no point being alive if you can't do deadlift" was shouted by Jon Pall when he won the deadlift event at this contest.

Once in a Strongman competition, someone in the audience called him an eskimo, then he shouted back: "I am not an Eskimo, I am a Viking!" Two other famous quotes are, "I am in seventh heaven" which was his translation of an Icelandic saying, and "Ekkert mál fyrir Jón Pál" which roughly translates as "No problem for Jon Paul".

Jón Páll was namechecked in Iceland's entry to the Eurovision Song Contest 1988, "Sókrates" by Sverrir Stormsker."

jonpall.jpg

jon-pall-sigmarsson-deadlift.jpg

Jon-Pall-Sigmarsson---1986.jpg

[YOUTUBE]Fm7g571UIZM[/YOUTUBE]​

Last edited:
An important bit...............he's dead.

There is a great documentary out on him

He was also Kaz's bitch on the static strongman events.

They kept adding mobile events because it made better viewing.

Truth is, Kaz would have simply kept winning if he wasnt booted out after 3 in a row

Jon Pall was awesome, Kaz is the greatest

Oh, Kaz is still alive

Last edited:
An important bit...............he's dead.

There is a great documentary out on him

He was also Kaz's bitch on the static strongman events.

They kept adding mobile events because it made better viewing.

Truth is, Kaz would have simply kept winning if he wasnt booted out after 3 in a row

Jon Pall was awesome, Kaz is the greatest

Oh, Kaz is still alive

Heart condition, I know of two strongmen who have died due to cardiac conditions. Any others I am missing?