• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

L-Glutamine for muscle recovery

Oilucy

I have read a few mixed reviews about L-Glutamine - some saying its fabulous stuff and others saying its a waste of money.
I am looking at it for muscle recovery as often I find my body aches quite a bit at night following a decent weights workout.
I take WPI (No Bull brand) but there is no mention of Glutamine being added to it on the pack, as per some other WPI's.
I'm wary of spending money on useless supplements (3 months ago I purchased L-Carnitine after being told it would burn fat) but I honestly don't think its doing a thing!
So, before I buy L-Glutamine can anyone honestly recommend it?
Or is there something else I should be taking to assist muscle recovery?
I do weights sessions every second day but due to work commitments and having a little one who is not yet at school it can often be hard to get there 3-4 times a week and sometimes my only option is to go to the gym on consecutive days.

I'd recommend taking magnesium if you are getting muscle cramps etc.
I find it helps me.

REgarding supps in general (and l-glutamine in there as one of them), I'd recommend checking out Alan Aragon's summary of overrated supps.

He's really good and has taken the time to dispassionately review all the claims, research and data about each one with a recommendation on whether or not it has any benefit.

The 20 Most Overrated Supplements Slideshow | LIVESTRONG.COM

Claims for glutamine generally relate to performance rather than recovery though so I'm not sure you're barking up the right tree to start with.

I take BCAAs for big workouts ... mostly just to get some extra protein in on those days but i actually find I don't get the killer doms and recover pretty well after i started taking them. Might be just my imagination but hey.

I thought it was Glucosamine which was suppose to be good for your joints not glutamine?

And with L-Carnintine I find it is preety good for aiding with fat loss but won't burn fat for you, I find when on it I tend to sweet more during workouts and my heart rate is elevated as xompared to when not taking it ore workout, I guess this is where the added fat loss would be coming from, I also like combining it with caffine for a nice pre workout "stack"

yeh neddy i have now started putting l-carnitine in my pre-workout drink too. Im happy with it.

yeh neddy i have now started putting l-carnitine in my pre-workout drink too. Im happy with it.

Gotta cut dude who trains in the mornings when I go... Was talking with the gym owner one morning who was quizzing me about 'If i'd smelt something fishey lately' ... Come to think of it I had I said. Turns out taking too much (or not cycling perhaps) carnitine can lead to some people emitting a fish like smell... And here's me blaming the 6am soccer mum brigade that come in later ;)

Gym owner had spent $'000 getting the a/c taken apart as he thought it was something in there haha... :eek:

I take creatine and l-carnitine will definitely be telling people about that fishy smell because that my friend is gross. Glutamine with magnesium and zinc I find keeps the DOMS away :)

No supplements for me, except for the occasional pea protein shake when i run out of time to eat.

It baffles me how much people spend on their "stacks" each month!

No supplements for me, except for the occasional pea protein shake when i run out of time to eat.

It baffles me how much people spend on their "stacks" each month!

Yeah supp stacks.Lol. Great way to waste money. Aside from creatine and protein power save your cash and if you want a stack that does something use the proper stuff.