• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

L-Theanine who is interested?

WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN L-THENANINE SUPPLEMENTATION

• Total voters

Christian

Active Member, June10MOTM
Looking to see how many people would be interested in L-theanine amino acid supplementaiton.

This is the good stuff found in Tea. Now imagine if we could increase that consumption without any of the caffeine!

Please answer the poll to as to if you would be interested in this sort of supplementation . Thanks

[edit] Effects on the brain

Able to cross the blood-brain barrier, theanine has psychoactive properties.[5] Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress[6], and improves cognition and mood in a synergistic manner with caffeine.[7]
While structurally related to the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, theanine only has weak affinity for the glutamate receptor on post-synaptic cells.[8] Rather, its primary effect seems to increase the overall level of the brain inhibitory transmitter GABA. Theanine also increases brain dopamine levels and has micromolar affinities for AMPA, kainate and NMDA receptors.[9] Its effect on serotonin is still a matter of debate in the scientific community, with studies showing increases and decreases in brain serotonin levels using similar experimental protocols.[10][11] It has also been found that injecting spontaneously hypertensive mice with theanine significantly lowered levels of 5-hydroxyindoles in the brain.[12] Researchers also speculate that it may inhibit glutamic acid excitotoxicity.[9] Theanine also promotes alpha wave production in the brain.[5]
Studies on test rats have shown that even repeated, extremely high doses of theanine cause little to no harmful psychological or physical effects.[13] Theanine showed neuroprotective effects in one rat study.[14]
Several beverage manufacturers are selling drinks containing theanine and are marketing them as drinks that help people focus and concentrate.[15]
[edit] Immune system benefits

L-Theanine may help the body's immune response to infection by boosting the disease-fighting capacity of gamma delta T cells. The study, published in 2003 by the Brigham and Women's Hospital, included a four-week trial with 11 coffee drinkers and 10 tea drinkers, who consumed 600 milliliters of coffee or black tea daily. Blood sample analysis found that the production of anti-bacterial proteins was up to five times higher in the tea-drinkers, an indicator of a stronger immune response.[16]
According to a study conducted by researchers at Johns Hopkins University, when gophers were given 25 milligrams of theanine twice daily for three weeks there were increased levels of theta waves within the hypothalamus, indicating improved cognition and memory versus placebo.[17]

L-theanine may help relieve stress by inducing a relaxing effect without drowsiness. L-theanine as been shown to promote the generation of alpha-brain waves, an index of relaxation. It may also boost natural resistance to microbial infections and perhaps even tumors. Researchers suggest further isolating and refining L-theanine from tea to use it as a drug to boost the infection defense of the body. Although limited, there is clinical evidence to support these claims.

Ben form bulk nutrients may be interested in getting this in as an amino acid on their list if there is enough warrent for it...

That would be awsome because he is the best priced in regards to supplements and i know i could do with L-thenanine :p

L-thenanine = more dopalmine = Relaxation = less cortisol = less catabolic activity in the body= bigger stronger!

I've researched this L-Theanine a few years back. I am not sold on it, but I'de like you to try it and give us an opinion.

Documentation exists..

Wish i had it now, maybe i would be asleep...

Last edited:
But what if you wanted its theraputic benefits with 0 caffeine..

Suffering panic/anxiety disorder my goal is to eliminate caffeine from my diet.

I had 2 white teas yesterday and i couldnt sleep last night until I took a vlaium at 2am.. Now its 12 i just got up and i have missed class.

Possibly a coinsidence yes but nothing else has changed this week/.

But what if you wanted its theraputic benefits with 0 caffeine..

Suffering panic/anxiety disorder my goal is to eliminate caffeine from my diet.

I had 2 white teas yesterday and i couldnt sleep last night until I took a vlaium at 2am.. Now its 12 i just got up and i have missed class.

Possibly a coinsidence yes but nothing else has changed this week/.

n00bs, if I was in your shoes then I would do exactly what you're doing; I'm not in your shoes and would therefore be affected differently from white tea's isolation of L-Theanine.

Fadi.

Have you tried things like valerian? I didn't have time to workout until 10.30 at night a year back and when I finished I was pumped and didn't want to sleep. So I started taking valerian and noticed that not only I was falling asleep quicker but I was sleeping through the night. Only problem I ran into was when my routine stabilized I started laying awake again.

If bulk nutrients get it I will give it a go as I'm just about ready to order a batch of protein and aminos. Maybe you should speak to them about selling pure forms of calmatives you can add to you night time protein? Max's night time protein contains skullcap and chamomile to help drift off to sleep. Has to be healthier then Valium.
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you tried things like valerian?.... Has to be healthier then Valium.
Posted via Mobile Device

WARNING!

Hi Gauche,

Too much (as in an overdose of) Valerian, and all you'll get is a headache; overdose on Valium and you can be met with either coma or God forbid: death! It doesn't take an Einstein to see which one I'd choose if I'm a known pill popper. But that's not all we're dealing with here so let us go fo some more in depth info re this seemingly harmless herb we call Valerian...​

Valerian as everyone knows is safe and nontoxic as long as it is followed as prescribed and repsected.

So how should it be taken then to avoid problems?

It should be taken on a short term basis, say for two weeks before getting off and going onto something else or just simply off altogether. You may want to try Hops for a change in the intrim if you like.

Why?

Because prolonged or excessive use of Valerian can cause mental depression.

http://www.raysahelian.com/valerian.html
http://www.minddisorders.com/Py-Z/Valerian.html
http://www.springboard4health.com/no..._valerian.html
http://www.nativeremedies.com/more-on-insomnia.html

Fadi.

Last edited: