• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg Extension suggestions.....

Gettingbigger

I`m after a leg ext for the next item in my studio.

I have a pop-in attachment for my bench which I can do leg ext and leg curls with, but when it gets heavy it`s not smooth and I would rather have a standalone machine.

I have figured out my options are -

Pin loaded leg-exg/leg curl machines. I reckon these will be pricey and unless I fluke one second hand will cost around 2k plus?

If I were to purchase a GHR machine then I guess that will fix up hamstring duties (coupled with still leg D/L etc) so then I can just get a leg-ext.

Cyber market have a reasonable pin loaded one at around 1200 bucks which seems reasonable for a stand alone machine.

I have seen a few plate loaded ones and was wondering what peoples thoughts on them were VS pin loaded cable ones?

Just a couple of things to look for.

A good machine is one that fits *you*

1. The knee must line up with the axis of the moment arm

2. The seat and the back rest must be angled back

2yjyda6a.jpg
e2e3eny3.jpg

Sitting back completely isolates the quad's.

Sitting straight or forward means the leg biceps are limiting the involvement of the quads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Just a couple of things to look for.

A good machine is one that fits *you*

1. The knee must line up with the axis of the moment arm

2. The seat and the back rest must be angled back

Cheers for your thoughts bud.

All pin loaded ones I have seen are adjustable at the back rest position and also the height of the foot pad.

The plate loaded ones appear to only be adjustable at the back rest, so I guess based on that argument, a pin loaded one allows for a more individual fit, so could possibly be a deciding factor.

How heavy duty does it have to be?
This one is good for moderate weights, leg extension and seated leg curl combined:
Plate Loaded Leg Curl Leg Extension
For a touch over 300 dollars with the AUSBB discount, it's fine for a studio gym.

Of course you can get better though with a bigger budget, but this would be a good benchmark for a starting point.

How heavy duty does it have to be?
This one is good for moderate weights, leg extension and seated leg curl combined:
Plate Loaded Leg Curl Leg Extension
For a touch over 300 dollars with the AUSBB discount, it's fine for a studio gym.

Of course you can get better though with a bigger budget, but this would be a good benchmark for a starting point.

Cheers for the input. I`m looking at something more heavy duty though. I have seen a few plate loaded ones for around 2000-2500 but nothing much in-between.

Happy to spend the money though on the right item.

Cheers for the input. I`m looking at something more heavy duty though. I have seen a few plate loaded ones for around 2000-2500 but nothing much in-between.

Happy to spend the money though on the right item.

Would you be interested in either of these models:
LVLE - Leverage Leg Extension - Body-Solid Fitness
GCEC-STK - PRO-Select Leg Ext. & Leg Curl Machine - Body-Solid Fitness
SLE200G-2 - ProClub Line Leg Extension - Body-Solid Fitness

Can get you pricing, or are you after even heavier duty?

Or spend less than $100 and get some thick resistance bands and a wall anchor for TKE's and put your money on some decent barbell equipment.

1200 for a leg extension. Hardly a good investment.

If it`s not too much of an issue I would be interested on a price on the first and last ones. If you want to shoot me a pm that will be great. Thanks bud.

Or spend less than $100 and get some thick resistance bands and a wall anchor for TKE's and put your money on some decent barbell equipment.

Because my gym doubles up as a studio which in turn pulls in an income to fund more nice gear :) Just have to have it approved by she who must be obeyed first lol!

Last edited:

Why not
Some spend more that on just a bar

I could mean the difference between ever using that bar in the future or not.

Just sayin.

Is with everything, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I've had first hand experience getting a man back squatting with the use of the leg extension

I know it might be unlikely, but if you can find an old Nautilus leg extension, like this one, get it. It's the best I've ever used. The newer machines these days just don't feel the same.

$T2eC16J,!zoE9s5ndzcFBQ(nUSVs2Q~~60_35.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!icE5gGCvvWGBOhbB1bQTg~~60_35.JPG

My gym is actually upgrading their machines soon and they have a leg extension on the list. Hopefully they don't get rid of this one in favour of the new one, because it's great.

I know it might be unlikely, but if you can find an old Nautilus leg extension, like this one, get it. It's the best I've ever used. The newer machines these days just don't feel the same.

$T2eC16J,!zoE9s5ndzcFBQ(nUSVs2Q~~60_35.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!icE5gGCvvWGBOhbB1bQTg~~60_35.JPG

My gym is actually upgrading their machines soon and they have a leg extension on the list. Hopefully they don't get rid of this one in favour of the new one, because it's great.

You got me interested !
Where is this?
I have one, it's the second best I've used.
The 1st gen nautilus is one tough machine, the strength curve on it is jut perfect.

The gym is Fitness Plus, Tamworth. They might be getting rid of old equipment when the new stuff arrives, but I'm not sure.. so they could have one up for sale soon.

The gym is Fitness Plus, Tamworth. They might be getting rid of old equipment when the new stuff arrives, but I'm not sure.. so they could have one up for sale soon.

Any other nautilus pieces?

Put your name on it!
Offer $200