• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Leg Press

Bazza20

Been using the leg press rather than squatting because I can actually do it without fucking my knees at the moment.

Feel it working my quads a lot more than squats which seem to work my arse and back mostly as well as killing my knees.

What rep and set ranges do the bodybuilding focused guys favor for the leg press?

Would be keen to know this also.

I read somewhere a while ago that the leg press was no good for you (can't remember the exact reason), then I read here that Silverback reckons they're a good exercise. So I've been doing them again for the past few weeks. Quads are trashed for 3 days afterwards.

How far back should you go? I can feel my left groin tendon or something get's a but tight, just want to make sure I'm not going too deep. It's fine the next day.

45 degree max with heavier weight esp. don't push right out and lock the knees. Keep them slightly bent even at the top of the movement.

Great exercise. This and hacks as well.

Baz how are you sqautting?

Wide? Narrow? High? Low?
I find I get knee pain from certain stance/bar placement combos...and nothing from others.

Tim.

I put about 200 kilos of plates on the leg press at my gym, since i have been squatting about 80-90 kilos (and my 130 kilo body weight).. I like the 3 x 8 sets on it and one for max reps at the end

Baz how are you sqautting?

Wide? Narrow? High? Low?
I find I get knee pain from certain stance/bar placement combos...and nothing from others.

Tim.

Tried them all. High bar, narrow stance is the best of them but still fucks my knees pretty quick.

Thats interesting...

Man that sucks balls. Plenty of ways to build ones legs withput squats. :)

I like the leg press for the quad activation. Feel it like nothing else on that thing.

What about front squats?

Tim.

Thats interesting...

Man that sucks balls. Plenty of ways to build ones legs withput squats. :)

I like the leg press for the quad activation. Feel it like nothing else on that thing.

What about front squats?

Tim.

Front squats about the same as high bar.

Yep the pain the quads from a hard set of leg press is a lot different to squats.

Been using the leg press rather than squatting because I can actually do it without fucking my knees at the moment.

Feel it working my quads a lot more than squats which seem to work my arse and back mostly as well as killing my knees.

What rep and set ranges do the bodybuilding focused guys favor for the leg press?

good stuff...

I use the leg press once a week

I like the 12, 8, 6 rep course, using maximum weight going to fatigue, like; 12 x 160, 8 x 200, 6 x 220, i use the Hammer uni-lateral, one leg at a time, then 20 x 80 i like the twenty reps.
Followed by stiffies, no rest 60kg x 12, then 100 x 12, then the rest of the workout. full-body.

When i get down to PTC on a saturday morning, I'll do my 3x3; the leg press component is; trap bar 50kg x 30... LP180 x 30, 180 x 20 and 180 x 20 of more if i can.

I set my self up like this;

my bum is not on the seat or bearly touching, making sure my lower back doesnt leave the backrest.
My feet are positioned on the foot plate in a way that eliminates any movement of the ankle, so most of the force is on the bum and quads and eliminates any shearing force at the kne joint.
my feet are aligned with my knees which are aligned with my shoulders.

Last edited:
I Like it too Bazza
Normally do 4 sets, 2 at a weight where I get 10 and 2 heavy at 6 reps.
Go down as far as you can and stop just before locking out at the top, keep feel flat on the platoform, and puuuuuuush fuken.
Does well for upper legs, just under the hip.

Can you target a different part of the leg with a different stance? Like legs forward more on the plate? Or is that a no no? Haven't really tried but I also find they hit quads more than anything do I'll usually do hammy curls after leg press, same with front squats
What about vertical leg press, are they the same?

Can you target a different part of the leg with a different stance? Like legs forward more on the plate? Or is that a no no? Haven't really tried but I also find they hit quads more than anything do I'll usually do hammy curls after leg press, same with front squats
What about vertical leg press, are they the same?

My thoughts are you find the optimal position and stick with it.

moving the feet around to hit parts of the leg is bro science mumbo jumbo.

moving the feet around to hit parts of the leg is bro science mumbo jumbo.

I don't think that's accurate. Having your feet higher up on the plate will work your hamstrings more. Having a narrow stance will work the inner quads more. You'll work your butt more with a wider stance as well.

i agree with both. for beginners its best to get the mechanics right for the body. great thread.

i like to incorporate toes press before racking too, it helps stretch the hammies and seems to help my pelvis angle or stretch, otherwise i get stiff afterwards.

goat-two-legs_2023636i.jpg