• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Long-Term Persistence of Hormonal Adaptations to Weight Loss

Christian

Active Member, June10MOTM
Long-Term Persistence of Hormonal Adaptations to Weight Loss
Priya Sumithran, M.B., B.S., Luke A. Prendergast, Ph.D., Elizabeth Delbridge, Ph.D., Katrina Purcell, B.Sc., Arthur Shulkes, Sc.D., Adamandia Kriketos, Ph.D., and Joseph Proietto, M.B., B.S., Ph.D.
N Engl J Med 2011; 365:1597-1604October 27, 2011

RESULTS
Weight loss (mean [±SE], 13.5±0.5 kg) led to significant reductions in levels of leptin, peptide YY, cholecystokinin, insulin (P<0.001 for all comparisons), and amylin (P=0.002) and to increases in levels of ghrelin (P<0.001), gastric inhibitory polypeptide (P=0.004), and pancreatic polypeptide (P=0.008). There was also a significant increase in subjective appetite (P<0.001). One year after the initial weight loss, there were still significant differences from baseline in the mean levels of leptin (P<0.001), peptide YY (P<0.001), cholecystokinin (P=0.04), insulin (P=0.01), ghrelin (P<0.001), gastric inhibitory polypeptide (P<0.001), and pancreatic polypeptide (P=0.002), as well as hunger (P<0.001).

CONCLUSIONS
One year after initial weight reduction, levels of the circulating mediators of appetite that encourage weight regain after diet-induced weight loss do not revert to the levels recorded before weight loss. Long-term strategies to counteract this change may be needed to prevent obesity relapse. (Funded by the National Health and Medical Research Council and others; ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00870259.)

Just in case some can not understand this, long term calorie restriction leads to hormonal downgrade.

Diet 'breaks' and re-feeds, should be used to limit the downgrade to some extent.

Just in case some can not understand this, long term calorie restriction leads to hormonal downgrade.

Diet 'breaks' and re-feeds, should be used to limit the downgrade to some extent.

So how long would you go on a cut for before you had a break.

Bazza it really depends on how the individuals progressing. A good indicator is when progress stops :D

I normally suggest a 1 day a week or 2 days a fortnight diet break. Meaning eating at maintenance calories for the 1 day in the week or 2 days in the fortnight.

Prolong dieting, I'd say do a 7-10 day diet break after 3 to 4 months in calorie restriction (on top of the re-feeding protocol used during the dieting period).

Up to the individual and depends on how severe. Severe caloric restriction should really go on for NO longer than 4 weeks. (Even that's far too much). You could probably diet for a few months if it wasn't very harsh, but the regular refeed would help (note: refeed, not maccas/cakes/oreo's and shit I see people eat when they binge).

Again it depends on your situation, i've had an obese guy who was in caloric deficit for most of 6 months. We'd had the occasional week off (which was just more calories from nutritious foods, and a little more leniency) coupled with refeeds. I honestly don't get this on-off dieting some people do. 2 weeks clean, then 1 week of eating absolute crap. It is not a precedent you want to set. Allow yourself vices throughout the week, they won't break you.

A cheat meal wont break the bank... Every one is different though and as you all know there are drugs that can counter act some of the nasty sides that go with down regulation of metabolic function. Though everyone will tell you the fatter you are the easier and longer you can diet.

Your hardly fat quit lanky last time I saw you.

Speaking of refeeds ate a meat lovers pizza for dinner. Then another one at 3 am... Was it optimal from a micronutrient perspective? No... But I make up or that with supplementation. Also it was better for my sanity them a bag of rice.

Eh I'll take lean any day. I still eat out once or twice a week. Can't go without a Souv or some decent Thai/Italian.

If I eat pizza it's quality stuff (s'all good when you're Italian!). I can't believe anyone would put Domino's into their body. Seriously.

Each to their own. Diet is king when it comes to body composition, and I never forget it.

/Sits here saying that while i'm about to jump out for a parmigiana.

I reckon Dominos is diet food. I shit out an exaxt replica the next morning of what went in the previous night. P.H.,E.B., P.C, et al don't do that to me. Only Dominos.

my sister owns a domino's store. I should probably eat more of it :p I don't know why exactly but I just prefer to make my own pizzas. More appreciation for a good meal when you do it yourself!

Re the actual topic: refeed with whatever you want IMO. Pop tarts and ice cream for me :) So much easier to down that than 1kg of sweet potatoes and brown rice!