• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Low Bar Squat

leachy

I have been high bar squatting for a while now. I am getting some irritation in my right hip/groin area, which seems to be getting better from bringing my stance in a bit.

After some research, low bar squatting seems to easier on the back and allow for more weight to be pushed. Some may argue this, but this isn't the aim of the thread.

So I tried it out today, it was a much easier lift to perform, and I got no pain in my groin or hip from having a wide stance like I am used to, back felt good, in general it was great.

The only problem I have is the positioning of the bar on the traps. Having the bar high is great, it sits nice on top of the traps along the shoulders. However I am having trouble finding that sweet spot for a low bar position. I am keeping my traps and shoulders pushed together, but it is just raping my traps, because all the weight is just digging in. Wrists are also getting raped from constantly pushing the weight against my traps.

Any pointers would be great! :)

The weight doesnt sit on your traps, it sits on your rear delts. Use a thumbless grip, straight arms and get your hands in as close as possible to help create a shelf.

Also its going to feel weird - switching to an area of muscle that isnt used to carrying weight when youre squatting 140kg is very different to when youre beginning and learning with 40kg.

close stance = high bar
wide stance = low bar

if you can pull off a low bar on a close stance you have some crazy mobility!

close stance = high bar
wide stance = low bar

if you can pull off a low bar on a close stance you have some crazy mobility!

what drugs are you on son?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s3Rv-7XETQ]YouTube - 200kg raw squat[/ame]

Cheers Oliver, I did all my sets working up to my top with low bar, so I suppose If I slowly work up with it and get my body used to it, it should work out ok.

Its just fucked because I have a winged scapula so the rotation of my shoulder is off, one side of my back is bigger and smaller in different places, and is no where close to resembling symmetry. So its killing one side of my back more than the other. grrrrr

Ghostrun, its wider than what I see most doing. I have pretty wide shoulders so by the time I get my feet inline with my shoulders its pretty wide.

Last edited:
^ Yep. As you could imagine, me weighing 50something kg's in this pic there is not much for the bar to rest on and my arms felt like they were breaking, there is NO WAY I can hold the bar this low on a close stance squat. NO WAY. The wide stance allowed me to lean forward a tad more while still being stable. Also this pic isn't me at the bottom of the lift for those who're gonna cry high squat.

5731_126982188944_588173944_2198409_4107052_n.jpg

*For the record, I don't squat like that ^, I was just experimenting with different stance widths and bar positions back when I first started training.

Plenty of ppl squat low bar narrow stance at my club, even some of the very tall ones (6'3"). I have a slightly wider than shoulder stance though.

If you have a problem with the wrists, get some wrist wraps. That fixed it for me.

I don't get how you can hold it in low bar spot unless you're forward, it must be cos I have no shelf for it to sit on lol.

I don't get how you can hold it in low bar spot unless you're forward, it must be cos I have no shelf for it to sit on lol.

I have plenty of shelf for it to sit on. It just fucking digs in like a muthafucker, leaving the indent of the bar on my traps and delts.

Someone mentioned in another thread that plenty of European lifters squat low bar, narrow stance

This, its pretty common.

I say stick to what feels good.

Ideally I'd foam roll the problem area and try to get it fixed if you have been high bar squatting for a while. I squat medium-low bar with a shoulder width stance with a more olympic style descent and I find that you really need to foam roll the inside of your thighs

I have plenty of shelf for it to sit on. It just fucking digs in like a muthafucker, leaving the indent of the bar on my traps and delts.

Mine weeps puss but we cope with these things :D

^ Yep. As you could imagine, me weighing 50something kg's in this pic there is not much for the bar to rest on and my arms felt like they were breaking, there is NO WAY I can hold the bar this low on a close stance squat. NO WAY. The wide stance allowed me to lean forward a tad more while still being stable. Also this pic isn't me at the bottom of the lift for those who're gonna cry high squat.

Ghosty see how your wrists aren't straight? that means your arms are intercepting the bar which is something they generally dont like to do. You need to get into that position with your wrists straight and the bar a tad lower to stop that.

Last edited:
This, its pretty common.

I say stick to what feels good.

Ideally I'd foam roll the problem area and try to get it fixed if you have been high bar squatting for a while. I squat medium-low bar with a shoulder width stance with a more olympic style descent and I find that you really need to foam roll the inside of your thighs

My whole body needs foam rolling atm lol
I tend to be in-between high and low bar as well

Pretty average Leachy - as per the 'back squat form' thread I made a while back:
Best case scenario I've got major impingement and can't squat til my PC is a lot stronger, and I've gained flexibility to stop my lower back rounding at the bottom
Worse case is nerve impingement/nerves inhibiting me from stretching properly and recruiting hamstrings
Worst case scenario is 3 separate hernias lol though I think at least one has been cleared as just the nerve popping out of it's groove

Pretty average Leachy - as per the 'back squat form' thread I made a while back:
Best case scenario I've got major impingement and can't squat til my PC is a lot stronger, and I've gained flexibility to stop my lower back rounding at the bottom
Worse case is nerve impingement/nerves inhibiting me from stretching properly and recruiting hamstrings
Worst case scenario is 3 separate hernias lol though I think at least one has been cleared as just the nerve popping out of it's groove

Have you played with hi/lo bar and changing up your stance and footwear? As you can tell from the thread, this is what I am currently doing. :d

I found box squats to be pain free, but the weight was significantly less because you lose all momentum.

Sadly enough they do and they bitch. Anything to provoke you to get out of the gym :S

Girls that don't like guys who gym? Do they exist?