• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

chocchillimango

Hey, if anyone is looking for a low carb bread that helps to meet their daily calorie intake (like me) but with a good dose of protein and great healthy fats ... have I got the protein bread for you :)

Really easy to make and much nicer than just popping raw almonds to get the kCals up. No grains either, so it's gluten free, dairy free, ok for low FODMAP diets, paleo, vegan, whatever your religion :)
OK if you're allergic to nuts, substitute sunflower seeds/butter.

I've posted the recipe here:
Lemony Almond Protein Bread | Chocolate Chilli Mango

Here's a couple of pics and the macros:

Attachments

• Almond Bread_4678_wm_1x1.jpg
    Almond Bread_4678_wm_1x1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Almond Bread_4666_wm_5x7.jpg
    Almond Bread_4666_wm_5x7.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Lemony Almond Bread-macros.jpg
    Lemony Almond Bread-macros.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 23
Looks the goods!

Hey Joel,

this one seriously is! I have to hide it in the fridge to stop it getting eaten by everyone else. Great change from just stuffing my face with almonds etc to get the cals...

another one on the site is an omega-3 bread...different recipe but similar great flavour and texture. Both great. Hope you like it!

Have you got any tips for making Almond milk? I've tried a few times and it's just ended up really watery and bitter

Have you got any tips for making Almond milk? I've tried a few times and it's just ended up really watery and bitter

Yep...I'm making almond milk today in fact...just put the almonds to soak. I make my own cos it's so freaking expensive to buy and it's all sweetened with other rubbish added. This is much better.

Main tip: buy good fresh almonds. The bitterness you are tasting might be due to the quality of almonds you are buying. Even if you splurge on really good fresh almonds, it will still be so so much cheaper than paying $11 - $12 for a 1 litre carton of crappy almond milk in a tetra pack!

Almond Milk

Makes: 1 litre (scale up or down as you please)

Ingredients:
250g raw almonds (FRESH & GOOD QUALITY)
1 litre filtered/spring water

You will also need some fine muslin or very fine cotton and a strainer/sieve.

Directions:
Place almonds in a container and cover with tap water so that the water comes a little over the top of the almonds. Cover and leave to soak for 8 to 12 hours. In hot weather, place the container in the fridge. I usually do this overnight but today, I put them to soak early this morning so I can make it tonight.

Drain the almonds well. Place in a blender with the filtered water and process until the almonds are fine meal. At this point you can strain it, but i like to leave it for 10 minutes or so to really let the almond flavours get into the milk.
I don't have a sturdy blender so I use a food processor. If using a processor, make sure it's a large capacity one (at least 6 cups). Process the almonds first and then add the water gradually as you process. If you add all the water at once in a food processor, it will just spill out the sides. That would be BAD.

To strain, line the strainer with the muslin. You want a piece of cloth that will come well over the sides. Place the strainer over a bowl or container. Pour in the almond mixture. Make sure you press and extract as much of the milk as possible. At the end, gather up the cloth around the almond meal left in the strainer and really squeeze out all the excess.

That's it. You can now pour the milk into a glass bottle or jug. It will keep, airtight, in the fridge for a few days.

Variations: Add some sweetener or vanilla, cinnamon, cacao, whatever to flavour it. I prefer to make it plain and flavour it, as needed, if I want to.
It's really good chilled on a hot day :))

Tip: Don't waste the leftover almond meal. Use it in almond bread (like above) or in cookies, cakes etc.

Hope that helps. :-D

Hi chocchillimango,
Yummy looking lemony almond protein bread recipe and except psyllium husks found all the ingredients in stock so will try lemony almond protein bread later and will share my reviews later with you.

Hi chocchillimango,
Yummy looking lemony almond protein bread recipe and except psyllium husks found all the ingredients in stock so will try lemony almond protein bread later and will share my reviews later with you.

thanks...you don't need the psyllium in there. I add it for extra fibre.

you can, though, find psyllium easily at any supermarket. Look in the cereals section and/or the health food section.

hope you like it, it's very popular!