• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Making weight

I train about 5kg higher than I compete..

Those who drop weight, what have you found to be the best way in terms of maintaining performance? Drop a couple then some sort of manipulation? Slow and steady the whole way? Tell me you secrets...

Inb4 cut off a limb, I'm not going down that path

First thing to do is work out how much weight you can feasibly cut.
2kg can be cut in water easily irrespective of body weight. I'd pick no more than this.
The next thing is finding out how much glycogen you hold. You'll hold 64g for every kilo of LBM.
So if you have 80kg of LBM, you hold 5120g of glycgogen (5kg). I'd err on the low side with this calculation, because completely depleting glycogen is very hard.

You want to be as lean as possible going into the meet, this makes water shed easier and makes for a better cut- an you're more competitive.
7 days out from the meet, cut all carbs. You want to keep calories the same. Keep sodium to a minimum, there is no need to sodium load btw. You'll also want to keep creatine to a minimum
If you haven't realised yet- this means you'll be eating fatty, white cuts of meat like pork, fish, chicken, nuts, seeds and oil.
I'd also start drinking 10L of water a day

Day before the weigh in, cut water out at 5pm
After the weigh in, you'll need to replace the missing glycogen. Divide your glycogen by 4 and that's the number of grams of carbs you need to eat. Go for low GI carbs but obviously this is a lot and you may need to drink much of this. Save the liquid calories for as close to comp as possible when you're not as hungry.
So our 80kg individual will need to eat 1280g of carbs the day of weigh in

Get in the 10L of water as well. It's important to balance drinking and eating so you're not too full to eat.
The morning of the weigh in, weigh yourself. If you're 2kg over or more- forget it. Less than that can be sweated out. So wake up EARLY. Do not do this the night before. You want to lose and gain this weight as fast as possible. I recommend a HOT bath or making a steam room in the bathroom by running the hot tap on full and blocking the door with a towel

Enjoy! This is for 24h weigh ins only.

Slow and steady for the 2 hr weigh in.not allowed to eat anything nice. for long periods of time. and be rdy to shed it in the sauna if you are too phat and to be stapled by weights you were repping easily when you were fatter. hurts my feelings and makes me question the purpose of life itself.

or you could just compete at the weight you train at and get beaten by more but at least your a happy chappy.

really depends how professional you are and how good your mind is.you might not even have the decrease in strength that i tend to have.im still learning.

i remember talking to another lifter and he reckons hes dropped 18 kgs in 6 weeks.thats crazy stuff.but if you are a tough customer and dont cry like i do,then its achievable.

Last edited:
wheres ur lifts at swerv? are you better off filling out the weight class you walk around in.i think from my own experience its only if you have a shot at taking out records or have bad dietary habits that cutting is feasible.
i was shocked how much power i lost from training around 98-100 kgs to 93.ive dropped to 83 and will probably have to suck it up and visit mr sauna on the day.
however theres more talented people who make it look easy.you could be one of them.i think if you are lean its better just to stay where you are and fill out.
ive done the water manipulation thing and i hated it.i felt like i was pissing a lot of vitamins and minerals out and its better to cut slowly eating smaller portions.i dont even reckon changing what you eat drastically is the answer.
ive trained with better guys who constantly stay at the upper limit of their class.to me thats the ideal situation.you know exactly where ur strength is at.

Last edited:
I cut 4kg for a wrestling comp with 1hr between weighin and competing, felt a bit flat in the first one but after that I was good, just water load, aprox 50g of carb a day, have a sweat out the night before and one again in the morning try and go to bed about 2kg off weight and you should only have a kg to cut on the day,

im sitting at 82-83kg, im trying to get up to 85 now so I can lift in the 84 division, im not really keen to cut much for a weightlifting comp, maybe after a few comps ill drop down, but I just want to gain confidence on the platform

would be an interesting scientific study i reckon.some guys have cut mega weight and still rule.i wonder if a lot of it is mental application.

wheres ur lifts at swerv? are you better off filling out the weight class you walk around in.i think from my own experience its only if you have a shot at taking out records or have bad dietary habits that cutting is feasible.
i was shocked how much power i lost from training around 98-100 kgs to 93.ive dropped to 83 and will probably have to suck it up and visit mr sauna on the day.
however theres more talented people who make it look easy.you could be one of them.i think if you are lean its better just to stay where you are and fill out.
ive done the water manipulation thing and i hated it.i felt like i was pissing a lot of vitamins and minerals out and its better to cut slowly eating smaller portions.i dont even reckon changing what you eat drastically is the answer.
ive trained with better guys who constantly stay at the upper limit of their class.to me thats the ideal situation.you know exactly where ur strength is at.
90/108

I am about 72-75 usually, I haven't found cutting in the past difficult, but I have really done it for a comp.. I'd need to get below 69, that said when I had time off for my shoulder I got down to 70, and hit my squat lb. .

Rider- it's 85 anyway, so your all good or can go to 86-88

It's 2 hour

Do not cut more than 3kg
This is irrespective of your body weight.

I've done big cuts for same day weigh ins plenty of times and spoken to many IPF lifters, 3kg is the cut off.
So start dieting now. I am a big fan of ketogenic dieting for cutting weight and maintaining weight.

Can you get keto adapted and perform well? Yes, Absolutely. That is one option. Another is to weigh in keto adapted then slam back 2L of fruit juice and 2L of water.
However glycogen takes 24-36h to replenish really. You won't be using glycogen but for some reason the body performs better and produces more ATP.

You need to be 69kg. So this means you need to be a FULL 72kg. If you keto diet, which I highly recommend you start now you need to take note of what your carb depleted and carbed up weights are. Carb up once a week. Avoid salty foods- this will bloat you. Your aim is to be as full as possible with minimal bloat. Diet down until your carbed up weight is 72kg. The week of the meet, slam back the 10L of water a day and carb up the day before, again cutting out food and water at 5pm. Take a milk of magnesia laxative the day before as well. This will clear you out and you will lose a good kilo of literal "useless shit".

You should wake up an incredibly full and ripped 69kg. If you have enough time, practice this a few times.

Yeah I have been told that I probably spend to long above 72.. guys go above +3 for strength cycles, but usually drop back down
No do respect or anything, but if I need to keto to go from 72-69 I'll eat another competitors underwear..
I agree your right though, I should probably drop to no more than 72... I'm lean there though, but if I can make gains at that weight I guess it's fine