• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Media Marketing "Healthy Foods" - The Myths Behind the Ads

littlebro05

First off, I'd like to say that I'm no body builder, and just a guy who wants to stay healthy.

However, it has come to my attention that in the past few years there have been various media marketing schemes that you may have seen on television or on the web. Health is now, more than ever becoming more important, thus the businesses and advertisers use this to their advantage to sell their product. I could name a big list of them, this includes subway (high carbs, high fat [if you order the fatty meats]), frozen yoghurt (high sugar), etc, etc. I'm sure you know someone who think they're on a diet, but the food they put in their mouths are actually foods that the media has advertised as healthy. You try to tell them otherwise, but they don't believe you. This is a bit off topic, but this is a video I made of how I feel about this current situation.

[YOUTUBE]People On The "Diet" - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

I was wondering what your opinions are on this? There are many sites and researched journal articles by nutritionists which will go against the media, however, we can't win against the big wigs since they just would over power you with their money. Look, I don't have a problem with what you eat, but if you're gonna change your lifestyle, you have to do it right!

Last edited:
No food is unhealthy, what is umhealthy is eating excess of your calorific requirements.

I suggest you stop trying to be healthy and become a lifter, no point been alive if you don't lift. So hurry up clean out that vagina and get under a barbell.

I put my energy into sports like Muay Thai and Rock Climbing. We got different goals =).

Yes, it is true that you eating more than your calorie requirements is how you can be unhealthy. However, isn't one of the things you have to do in 'bulking' is to take in more calories on top of the training you do in one day?

If what you say is true, wouldn't that be unhealthy? However, it isn't!

Say you eat deep fried foods and kept under your 'calorie' requirements, sure you won't gain weight, but it comes with other complications such as high cholesterol and heart disease.

You are what you eat as they say.

First off, I'd like to say that I'm no body builder, and just a guy who wants to stay healthy.

However, it has come to my attention that in the past few years there have been various media marketing schemes that you may have seen on television or on the web. Health is now, more than ever becoming more important, thus the businesses and advertisers use this to their advantage to sell their product. I could name a big list of them, this includes subway (high carbs, high fat [if you order the fatty meats]), frozen yoghurt (high sugar), etc, etc. I'm sure you know someone who think they're on a diet, but the food they put in their mouths are actually foods that the media has advertised as healthy. You try to tell them otherwise, but they don't believe you. This is a bit off topic, but this is a video I made of how I feel about this current situation.

[YOUTUBE]People On The "Diet" - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Hey mate, first off - Big kudos on the film making skills! :) Seriously, I've been playing with shit like this and I can tell you boys have some ability... Will be looking out for the next squinty studios release :p

As for your observations about the way food is marketed these days, this is something I've been whinging about for ages... 'sugar free' or 'low carb' when in fact the old saying stands - If its too good (or tasty) to be true ; it probably is! If its low carb, its most likely loaded with sugars, and if its low sugar the reverse is normally true.

I think people are becoming more wise to the fact (about phuckin' time!) and the Sara Lee's of this world are having to resort to trickier or more subtle approaches... Hence why you're now seeing potato chips that more closely resemble freeze dried cardboard in an effort to tick all the boxes.

Moral is, nothing beats sensible eating and a healthy appreciation of a sustained exercise routine (whatever your goals) Its been like this from day 1 and will not change. There is no 'short-cut' or easy way out...

No food is unhealthy, what is umhealthy is eating excess of your calorific requirements.

I suggest you stop trying to be healthy and become a lifter, no point been alive if you don't lift. So hurry up clean out that vagina and get under a barbell.

LOL what he said^

Sounds like you need to grasp the concept of macronutrients.. and then perhaps IIFYM.

If people are silly enough to think because it says 'diet' on it that it wont make them fat or it will help loose weight then more fool them.

I put my energy into sports like Muay Thai and Rock Climbing. We got different goals =).

Yes, it is true that you eating more than your calorie requirements is how you can be unhealthy. However, isn't one of the things you have to do in 'bulking' is to take in more calories on top of the training you do in one day?

Say you eat deep fried foods and kept under your 'calorie' requirements, sure you won't gain weight, but it comes with other complications such as high cholesterol and heart disease.

How many fights have you done?

You are what you eat is what fucking retards say. I've never seen anyone who looks like a steak, chicken breast or a sweet potato.

Not carrying excess body fat is much more important than what you eat in regards to health.

Any food can be considered unhealthy if you eat enough of it. Even chicken breast.

Last edited:

I eat plenty of shit food within my macro requirements and I am leaner then I have ever been and my cholesterol is lower then it was when I had a 'clean' diet.

There is more then one way to skin a cat.

In my opinion I'd rather deep fried meat then empty carbs and sugar from 'healthy' fruit.

If its too good (or tasty) to be true ; it probably is! If its low carb, its most likely loaded with sugars, and if its low sugar the reverse is normally true.

Glad I don't have to eat at your place then.

Food should taste bloody good, if not what the fuck are you doing to it.

How the hell can low carb be loaded with sugar. Sugar is a carb.

Steak is low carb and tastes awesome. According to your theory its no good for you.

@Test E - Thanks man! I thought I'd post this video on these forums because you guys are body builders, thus it would spark a lot conversations. And it sure has! I love the different opinions that have come out of this discussion.

@Brick - I value your opinion, and if that's what you live by. Fair enough =). One thing I dislike is people who live by other opinions to fit in, but not their own.

@Bazza - I haven't been in any fights :(. However, I've come home bruised and battered on days when we do sparring. They put 'overs' and padding on you, but let's just say, it's pretty much like getting hit with a metal baseball bat with foam padding around it.

@Bazza - I haven't been in any fights :(. However, I've come home bruised and battered on days when we do sparring. They put 'overs' and padding on you, but let's just say, it's pretty much like getting hit with a metal baseball bat with foam padding around it.

So you're not actually a fighter then.

@Bazza - Nope. I'm not a fighter. I'd like to compete just once, to see what it is like. When I say I put my energy into Muay Thai, it's one of the two things I do besides rock climbing. =)

Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif

Companies like KFC ( as much as the food tastes like crap and is pretty much the worst thing calorie wise available in fast food ) have got the right idea, they dont pretend to be healthy, they just advertise their good old high calorie foods and dont pretend and yet go into a food court at any supermarket and have a look at the people lined up at KFC and then at the people at the "healthier" fast food outlets, KFC will always have a big line despite the other options available. Doesnt really matter how it is marketed, fat kunce will be fat kunce.

And Why all the hate on this forum lately... people are entitled to an opinion, everytime i browse through the latest threads i see the same few people taking the piss or having a go at everyone else, are you all that unhappy in your "real lives" you have to come onto the internet and rag on people? If you got nothing constructive to add to a thread piss off and do something more useful.

I'd rep that.

No food is unhealthy, LOL. Got any proof for this please.

What about degenerative diseases as you get older. I'd love to eat red meat every meal and KFC for dessert but something tells me I wouldn't be lifting in 10 years, wouldn't even be getting out of the hospital bed.

I'd rep that.

No food is unhealthy, LOL. Got any proof for this please.

What about degenerative diseases as you get older. I'd love to eat red meat every meal and KFC for dessert but something tells me I wouldn't be lifting in 10 years, wouldn't even be getting out of the hospital bed.

Why wouldn't you be lifting. Lol. Got any proof for this please.

Why wouldn't you be lifting. Lol. Got any proof for this please.
I'll just ring 0ni for some studies, vids and citations but I suspect my cardiovascular system might be so stuffed I wouldn't be able to stress my heart without risking a heart attack or stroke and aren't a lot of degenerative diseases related to bad diet. I know numerous studies have shown the less calories people eat the longer they tend to live (and it'll feel that way to lol.)

I'll just ring 0ni for some studies, vids and citations but I suspect my cardiovascular system might be so stuffed I wouldn't be able to stress my heart without risking a heart attack or stroke and aren't a lot of degenerative diseases related to bad diet. I know numerous studies have shown the less calories people eat the longer they tend to live (and it'll feel that way to lol.)

You haven't read any of this have you. It's been said numerous times getting fat is unhealthy. That means you can't just eat unlimited calories.

Your cardiovascular system won't be fucked just from eating KFC and beef but like I said eating too much of anything is unhealthy. Eat only broccoli for 10 years and nothing else and see how healthy you are. Does that mean broccoli is unhealthy now.

Don't class foods as healthy or unhealthy they can all be benificial given the right circumstances. Eat a range of foods and don't get fat.

@Test E - Thanks man! I thought I'd post this video on these forums because you guys are body builders, thus it would spark a lot conversations. And it sure has! I love the different opinions that have come out of this discussion.

@Brick - I value your opinion, and if that's what you live by. Fair enough =). One thing I dislike is people who live by other opinions to fit in, but not their own.

No worries bud and don't you worry about Bazza - He's just a little hypoglycaemic right now :cool: You don't need to tell us kunce how many fights you have or have not been in. If you're doing a sport and it makes you happy, then more power to you :)

As for low carb vs. high sugar debate - I was simply showing how this crap is marketed these days. Of course I know that sugar is carbs, but the fact is, and the point our young friend here is trying to make, is that these foods are marketed to the general masses as something they aren't (i.e. eat all the ice-cream you want because it's 'fat free' for example... forget the fact it has 60gms of sugar per serve :eek:)

[MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; point taken with regard to eating excessive amounts of anything but I think saying "no foods are unhealthy" is abit too much.