• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Meniscus tear

shiftyex

Hey has anyone had any experience with a meniscus tear and getting back into doing deadlifts/squats? I've been able to start doing raised platform deadlifts and box squats.

At the moment it has been able 10 weeks post surgery and there's still a bit of stiffness around the medial bit of the knee after doing leg exercises (was a lateral meniscus tear). No pain during the exercises though.

Anyone had similar problems with knee stiffness and if so how'd you get over it? Thanks!

I had a tear in the left knee about 5 years ago.

I dont know what caused it, but I totally layed off on squatting and such.

The only exercise for the leg i did in that time, (3 Months i think) was extensions and curls and lots and lots and lots of walking, I started walking on a soft surface like the footy oval, once the movement became easier and pain subsided i graduated to the footpath.

I have had a scope on a meniscus tear & a full reco on the other knee.
You need to get your VMO firing again (teardrop) muscle. It will help immensely. That muscle holds the knee in. Plenty of VMO stuff on YouTube.

You need to get your VMO firing again (teardrop) muscle. It will help immensely. That muscle holds the knee in. Plenty of VMO stuff on YouTube.

Can this be a preventative measure as well?

I started full squatting everyday after I was comfortable that there was no pain or "catching", my tear was on the outside so I think the healing process was quick, compared to a tear deeper in the joint, I actually think it was cause by a mountain bike accident I had.

anyway, I used a 20kg dumbbell and, every second day I would do three sets of ten as part of my routine (full body 3 x week)

If i started getting a little inflammation from it I'd take a day or two off squatting.

overtime, this progressively got better, over time I added barbell squatting and reduced the time spent doing goblet's.

The walking kept me sane

the goblet squats where the key to getting back to bar bell squatting.

i don't recall how long it took to get back squatting, that wasn't the goal.

but I'm still squatting now, and that happened about ten years ago.
im squatting better than ever.

Yeah absolutely, all the muscles around the knee need to be strong, I think the squat done right is the best exercise for this.