• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Military press form

taku

Hey guys,

yesterday on the last couple reps of military press of a 2x8 @ 50kg, i may have been considerably leaning back, almost like an incline press. afterwards my back was a little strained from it, though it recovered no problem in a few minutes. is this bad form? should i keep the bar a little more in front of me at the start to clear my head without leaning back? Thanks guys

this is what works for me....

you want to do the opposite of what you suggest - you want the bar over your centre of gravity at all times to avoid excessive layback. If you have the bar forward, you will want to incline bench press it, or otherwise you end up putting a lot of strain on your shoulders.

Take the grip just outside shoulder width. Get the bar on your front delts with your shoulder and chest up high. This will get the bar right up against your throat. Should be the same rack position as used for a front squat or jerk.

You need to get it back into this spot with every rep. The more forward the bar creeps, the further back you'll want to lean.

When you initiate the press, get your chin up high to give yourself room to drive the bar straight away without leaning back. Then when bar is past your forehead, drive your head forward and get under the bar, driving your traps up to lockout.

This will feel completely different - you will feel it more in your upper back and less in your shoulders.

same layback will happen if the weight is heavy, but if it's too much this puts a lot of strain on your facet joints, which if you hurt them is really painful.

thanks for the reply, my second bits fine, just the first bit. ill try and compose myself on the start of each rep from now, thanks.