• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Money or life?

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
I seem to have come to abit of a cross roads in regards to what Iam doing in my life and what direction I want to take....a year ago if you would of asked me what I wanted to do it would pretty much be focused on big business and trying to make alot of money....alot has changed for me over the last year and I think my views on alot of things have changed aswell...I may have the chance to live and work down in the south coast next year...working in a pub/bar...atm I feel that this would be a great lifestyle, would give me time to enjoy family/friends, meet alot of new ppl etc etc....but of course the money will be less and seeing as though I will be turning 24 in Jan is it the right move career wise at this time in my life....

I guess what Iam saying is....if you had to pick would it be money or lifestyle? I think I have come to realize that maybe the office/city enviroment isnt for me...and maybe thats just the sort of person Iam...anyone else ever thought about this....

You're only 24 that isn't the end of the world , plenty of time to make a move and learn from your mistakes . As much as society would like you to believe life isn't all about how many zero's are on the end of your bank balance you also need to enjoy your life

As i said you are 24 do what you feel is best and strike it down to a learning experience

like admin said, this one job change wont determine the rest of your working career,
however.. it isnt as easy as choosing life or money, often when you get into jobs where you earn more money, you have the opportunity to invest in shares/property whatever and if youre successfull enough with that in time you wont even need to work as much and will have all the time to spend with family and friends as well as having some security for your future. If you choose the path of working enough to JUST cover everything you might not have as much disposable income to do other things you fancy/ hobbies/holiday/invest.. and it means in the overall scheme of things you will be working more and harder for the rest of your working life

I think sacrificing your life for a short period of time (up to a year) to earn some decent $$$ which will carry over down the track is fine.
It really comes down to what type of person you are as well. I can go for months (or years even) without seeing people I was really good friends with and it doesn't really phase me at all whereas others don't see someone for 2 days and they start flipping out.

From a personal perspective I'll be sacrificing any social life I do have next year as I want to work in the mines so I can get $$$ for a backpackers journey

life.... money wont make you happy. i work 3.5 - 4 days a week now and love it!! you stay happier unless u really love your job

EveryOne has a different outlook on life. I chose quality of life over money. I don't earn big but I'm happy. I'm choosing the path to happiness/englightment.

I have mate who works hard. Has his own cleaning business which he employs people. A convience store in the valley, a house and a investment property. I'm happy for him and his wife. Now he is working in Perth. He misses his family. Working short term in the mines is great if ur single. But for me, I would rather earn less and be with my family

life.... money wont make you happy. i work 3.5 - 4 days a week now and love it!! you stay happier unless u really love your job

Same, Im a self employed telstra contractor working probably 25 hours a week. While the potential is there, Im only earning an average income but I love having the time to do whatever I want basically. One big advantage I have is we are already paying off our own home and was lucky enough to get in the market 5-6 years ago where pricer were in our favour.

For me life > money but it would be nice to win lotto and have both :)

something that was drilled into me , was work to live not live to work

Both.

No matter how much you earn, there is no reason at all you can't put away 10% of your earnings towards savings and investing.

The sooner you get into this habit, the better off you'll be in the long run.
when compounding works it's magic, you'll be amazed at the exponential results that come in the longer term.
The only criteria is that you have to start now!!!

Don't be one of those who says they will start later when they start earning more money.
It's getting into the habit which is the main principle.

Best book to get the point across is: The Richest man in Babylon.

10% is not too much to ask....you'll never miss it once you start.

like admin said, this one job change wont determine the rest of your working career,
however.. it isnt as easy as choosing life or money, often when you get into jobs where you earn more money, you have the opportunity to invest in shares/property whatever and if youre successfull enough with that in time you wont even need to work as much and will have all the time to spend with family and friends as well as having some security for your future. If you choose the path of working enough to JUST cover everything you might not have as much disposable income to do other things you fancy/ hobbies/holiday/invest.. and it means in the overall scheme of things you will be working more and harder for the rest of your working life
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

Mate at 24 you need to concentrate on setting yourself up before it's too late. I used to work 6-7 days a week busting my balls when I was 24 paying triple mortgage repayments on the house I just bought......owned it by the time I was in my 30's, now at 40 I only work 4 days per week, spend time with my kids, take them to school concentrate on hobbies and love life.

I have mates who lived when they were in their 20's enjoying life, or so they thought, but are now struggling to pay a mortgage, some are on anti depressants as they are realising that they will have to now bust their hump just to survive till well into their 60's or 70's if they live that long, while I consider myself semi retired at 40, I am not rich but I do not have problems paying my daily expenses, drive very nice late model cars (a FPV GT Falcon and a luxury 4x4 for trips away and camping). I have never earned big money, but have used it wisely IMO.

Work hard first enjoy life later, if you enjoy life too much now, you will pay for it later while your friends are driving nice cars spending time with family and going on holidays, while you are there trying to make ends meet in your 40's 50'sand beyond.

I see it like weight training, set your foundations early, and the rest will follow, if you do not set your foundations you will be struggling for ever......

Last edited:
agree with admin. life > money.

I work hard to enough to earn and enjoy my life. I know people who chase money like a dog chasing its tail, while their life flashes by their eyes.

All those 00000's in the bank account mean shit when you return to the dirt and decompose. Fill your life with as MANY experiences as you can.

Be a yes man. I see too man "no" men around.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

I see it like weight training, set your foundations early, and the rest will follow, if you do not set your foundations you will be struggling for ever......

This....

Do the hard yards early and you will be rewarded handsomely.

We all go through stages in life, of course we want to enjoy ourselves in our early adult years.
There does come a time when you need to think about the future and financial security, unless you really do enjoy working and lack of freedom.
I'd say this would be in the mid to late 20's for most, some start sooner, some never start....

Having money definitely gives you alot more choices than not having money.
Getting money does not mean having no life, it just takes getting into good habits and becoming financially literate.

Do you have money saved now? I hope so, I always save money no matter how little i'm earning, but thats just a habbit of mine. If you don't have money saved, maybe keep working the job your doing now even if you don;t really enjoy it, put money away, then next year work a bit easier and enjoy it a bit more. Your still young, you can do whatever you want, just always plan for the future.

You always need money in life, so save what you can. No amount of moneys any good if your sad and depressed though.

my grandfather who is 94 now, he told me some great stories of him and his mates.. his whole life he worked only what he needed plus a little extra, money was never a huge priority, his life and time with his family was what he wanted.. a lot of his friends made millions and retired early, my grandad has a fair bit of money tied up in shares and stuff so he has done well but all his friends have been divorced and married multiple times, dont talk to there kids much, have minimal friends and were grumpy people and even though thaey had money there were all scrooges.. my grandad has been married now 56years 4 kids and a 9 grandchildren and now 6 great grand children, the time he spent with his family he never regrets, he has great relationships with all of us and he is probably the happiest man in sydney.

so i learn by him and i will do the same, work when needed but know when to put the fmily first.

Joel, a good thing to keep in mind with any decision of reasonable importance is to imagine applying a hindsight test. You feel ATM that heading down the coast to work in the pub will be good. Ask yourself, how will I likely view that decision in 2-3 years time? Will I regret it? Are there too many potential negatives that could easily result in it being a bad decision?

Basically u just weigh up the pros and cons, but don't do it with narrow tunnel vision....apply some foresight in your thinking.

In a nutshell - think ahead bro.

As long as you make time for your 10 meals/day everything is negligable. muahahahahaha