• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

BrisVegasGhost

Elite Member
For the people that keep a close eye on your calorie intake do you write things down daily or use a spread sheet?

I have a list of all the calories and proteins of the food I consume but it is just scribbled down in a note book. And I never get around to working out and adding up all my meals. So I just get a round about figure at the end of the day. A guess really....

A spread sheet would be easier. How do you do it?

Cheers

I have a rough idea of calories - have not "counted" for prob 10 years - no real point unless your on something like iifym and your needing to know to the calorie so you can fit shit in.

Anyone who is into training should have a rough idea of how many calories their eating - I dont count them but I could work out roughly in my head how much I am eating per day.

I log everything in My Fitness Pal. I have to track mine as I very easily suffer calorie amnesia.

I log everything in My Fitness Pal. I have to track mine as I very easily suffer calorie amnesia.

Exactly this. Counting calories keeps you honest.

Sure if you eat the same boring old shit every day you can have an accurate idea of the calories each day.

It literally takes a couple minutes a day to count calories and don't make you any less hardcore for those worried about that.

Something I have never done for more than a couple of days, but maybe it should be something I should start doing to get a better idea of calorie intake, I usually create a diet and then stick to it for weeks so have a rough idea of what I am eating anyway.

I just downloaded the app.
Can you change it from kj to calories.
I'm just used to working with calories...Do many people use kj?

I think its a good idea to count calories when you 1st start lifting as it gives you a good idea of how many calories are in different things - good learning tool...after that not sure how much it helps - if you have a good understanding of calories then you really should have a issue with sticking within X calories if you have a good idea - I dont understand people who say I cant stick with my cals if I dont count them....that doesnt make any sense.

Yes It will be interesting to see what calories I am eating over a week.
I have always eaten reasonably well but really had no idea of my calorie intake.

I have a rough idea of calories - have not "counted" for prob 10 years - no real point unless your on something like iifym and your needing to know to the calorie so you can fit shit in.

Anyone who is into training should have a rough idea of how many calories their eating - I dont count them but I could work out roughly in my head how much I am eating per day.

I feel this way as well
I know how many grams of fat I need to eat a day and how many of each food I need to eat to get this

I use my fitbit to monitor my activity. I see a huge difference in calories on training and non training days.

It's a pretty good app.
I like that you can add meal plans and add nutrional value according to the food packet and not rely on there food inputs.

I have also seen another mod around from someone who made it so you could adjust the macro percentages to the 1% not 5 etc

I use a spreadsheet

Columns are:

Number of servings / Description of 1 serving / Protein / Carbs / Fats / Sat fats / Sugars / calories || All dietry amounts again multiplied by servings

e.g.
2 / egg, large, 50g / 5.5 / 0.3 / 4.2 / 1.1 / 0.1 / 63 || 10.0 /0.6 / 8.4 / 2.2 / 0.2 / 126

If I eat 6 eggs I put a 6 instead of the 2. I total the columns on the right to get my total calories, protein, carbs and fats for the day.

Myfitnesspal is probably easier by my phone is from the stone age so I just use a SSheet.

I think its a good idea to count calories when you 1st start lifting as it gives you a good idea of how many calories are in different things - good learning tool...after that not sure how much it helps - if you have a good understanding of calories then you really should have a issue with sticking within X calories if you have a good idea - I dont understand people who say I cant stick with my cals if I dont count them....that doesnt make any sense.

I think the trouble is that most people underestimate the amount that they eat and by counting them it keeps them honest

I count macros rather then calories but its basically the same. I have a fair idea of what makes up the majority of my food.

I count macros rather then calories but its basically the same. I have a fair idea of what makes up the majority of my food.

macros will = calories

from what I understand basically it's the calorie totals that will determine losing/gaining/maintaining but it's most effective to do it with your macros