• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Muay Thai Fight/Program

SWH

So i've been training and competing beginner PL competitions at PTC for around 2 years now. I've been training Muay Thai since the start of this year and i'm training towards my first fight early next year. To fight, I need to cut down from 85kg to at least 75-70kg. At the moment i'm training using Bill Starr and although i've made a lot of progression in the last few months i'm definitely not going to be able to progress on a caloric deficit. I've been thinking about using some different methods which might help towards my kickboxing performance while i'm unable to make increase on strength.

I was thinking about training 3x a week still, 1 day squat, 1 day bench, 1 day deadlift @ low volume/ high intensity in order to try and maintain the numbers on my lifts, as assistance I was thinking of incorperating some plyo work/ kettlebells, more bodyweight volume and some oly work to work towards creating more explosive power and speed for my fight. I was thinking something like this;

MON

Squat (Heavy) 3x3 *or whatever rep/set range*
Box Jump
Cleans (Full front squat)

WED

Bench (Heavy) 3x3 or 5x5
Military press/Jerk/Kb Press
Dips
Plyo Pushup

FRI

Deadlift (Heavy) 1x5 or 3x3
Powerclean
Pullups/Chinups
KB Swing

I was just wondering if anybody has had similar experience or if anybody has any opinion on this sort of training, i really have no experience on this kind of training so i'd be interested to see if anybody knows much about this and if it could be beneficial towards my thai boxing. Thanks for any feedback much appreciated :)

Looks okay. Just be careful when you're lifting, and when you're training. They can conflict, I find.

Adding in some explosive lifts is a good idea, yep.

Another thing you could try for legs is lunge or walking lunge. Or stepups.

If you were doing grappling at all, I might suggest floor press and turkish getup, but they probably wouldn't apply so much to pure standup fighting.

Looks okay. Just be careful when you're lifting, and when you're training. They can conflict, I find.

Adding in some explosive lifts is a good idea, yep.

Another thing you could try for legs is lunge or walking lunge. Or stepups.

If you were doing grappling at all, I might suggest floor press and turkish getup, but they probably wouldn't apply so much to pure standup fighting.

I've been doing both for about 6 months now but being on a program with such high progression is getting hard and it will be pretty much impossible to progress on a caloric deficit.

Yeah i did do some grappling but i'm focusing on standup only at the moment, but just looking for ideas i'll take it into account

I used to lift with a couple guys who were pretty shit hot fighters, one even made it over to japan to fight in the pride feeder comp and then I think had a pride bout, the other was doing ALOT of local kick boxing fights and training over in thai alot.

They used to just run 5/3/1 and leading into a fight drop the assistance completely.

You gotta run though bud, roadwork gives you the lungs to go the distance, you see sooo many fighters who gas early cause they have no lungs.

So put some eye of the tiger on the ipod and hit the fucking road.

I reckon training for explosiveness is not something you should concern youreslf with, at fight nights you will see heaps of fighters win bouts against guys who are technically better purely cause they are stronger & have better staying power. Strong = explosive

I used to lift with a couple guys who were pretty shit hot fighters, one even made it over to japan to fight in the pride feeder comp and then I think had a pride bout, the other was doing ALOT of local kick boxing fights and training over in thai alot.

They used to just run 5/3/1 and leading into a fight drop the assistance completely.

You gotta run though bud, roadwork gives you the lungs to go the distance, you see sooo many fighters who gas early cause they have no lungs.

So put some eye of the tiger on the ipod and hit the fucking road.

I reckon training for explosiveness is not something you should concern youreslf with, at fight nights you will see heaps of fighters win bouts against guys who are technically better purely cause they are stronger & have better staying power. Strong = explosive

Makes sense. Yeah i'm focusing on my fitness at the moment, usually start my training with a run but i've been meaning to see a doctor about 'plantar faciitis' some condition that makes it really hard to run for long distances because my feet start to ache the further i go.

I might look into that, do you have any idea what kind of exercises used for assistance?

Instead of distance running I'd use high intensity interval training, prowler pushes, burpees, short sprints, rowing, etc. Use a fight style format, 3 X 5min rounds with a different exercise each minute or something to that effect. Make it intense like a fight will be.

Instead of distance running I'd use high intensity interval training, prowler pushes, burpees, short sprints, rowing, etc. Use a fight style format, 3 X 5min rounds with a different exercise each minute or something to that effect. Make it intense like a fight will be.

Long road runs is the hands down best way to build your lungs to go the distance. He'd already getting heaps of interval work sparring for rounds.

A traditional training day for my gym and a lot of thai gyms over there would be a long run to start followed by skipping, bag work, pad work, thai clinching and then pushups/situps at the end with select days of sparring rounds. The HIIT does seem like a good idea, although i wont be able to work it into my training time considering we pretty much have a set routing and the combination of all of that work is plenty of activity to give me fight fitness as long as i put in the work

DeFranco's Training ..:: The Ultimate Way To Become A Better Athlete ::..

Defranco had some advice for an MMA guy ages ago. Your post made me look it up.

Thanks for that i'll have a read of it now

Good shit Sam.

Keep us posted on the fight progress, id probably come watch you kick some blokes ass.

Haha thanks i'll let you know what happens, won't be until next year but hopefully i'll be ready soon