• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Headley

BigRed Kunce
Hi guys, i now live in a combined martial arts/weights gym, i have access to:

- squat/smith machine cage
- cable rower
- cable cross over
- flat and incline benches
- leg press
- heaps of dumbells
- lots of barbells and stacks of weights

I want to focus on my arms especially but all over my body would be great.

Anyone got some ideas for a routine?

Looks like there is a choice there between density and strength? wtf does density mean
Within the context of the written article, the writer is using it to make a distinction between bodybuilding/muscle hypertrophy, and higher intensity low rep training for strength gains. I would not have used that ("density") term, it confuses people.

Ok lets see if i can sort this out:

Week 1

• Wednesday = Chest Day (Density)
  • Thursday = Back Day (Strength)
  • Saturday = Shoulder Day (Density)
  • Sunday = Leg Day (Strength)
Week 2

• Wednesday = Chest Day (Strength)
  • Thursday = Back Day (Density)
  • Saturday = Shoulder Day (Strength)
  • Sunday = Leg Day (Density)

On every set of every workout, you must be trying for more reps.

For Density Sets:

1. Total Sets. Perform 7 sets per exercise.
  2. Rest Between Sets. Rest between each set is...30, 30, 60, 60, 90 and 120 seconds. The rest periods get longer as you go deeper into total sets. This allows for your strength to come back.
  3. Failure. Don't train to failure. Only do as many reps as you can.
  4. Progression. When you can do 30 reps in 7 sets, add weight to the bar. For some exercises, you may increase this number up to 35. I also prefer to do higher reps for certain leg exercises - such as leg extensions. You could aim as high as 40 to 50 reps for exercises such as this.

For Strength Sets:

1. Total Sets. You will start by doing 8 sets of 2 reps, and will be pushing to get 8 sets of 3 reps.
  2. Rest Between Sets. Rest exactly 2 minutes between sets.
  3. Progression. When you can perform 8 sets of 3 reps, add weight to the bar.

Wednesday - Chest and Triceps
Density Workout
Exercise Sets Reps
Barbell Bench Press 7 30 Total
Chest Dips or DB Bench Press or Incline Bench Press 7 30 Total
Close Grip Bench Press 7 30 Total
Strength Workout
Barbell Bench Press 8 2 to 3
2 Chest Exercises of Choice 3 6 to 10
1 to 2 Tricep Exercises of Choice 3 6 to 10

Thursday - Back
Density Workout
Exercise Sets Reps
Deadlift * Singles 10 minutes
Barbell Row or Yates Row or Seated Cable Row 7 30 Total
Pull Ups or Lat Pull Down or T Bar Row 7 30 Total
Strength Workout
Deadlift 8 2 to 3
2 to 3 Back Exercises of Choice 3 6 to 10
Optional: 1 Traps Exercise 3 6 to 12
Notes
* Do as many deadlift singles reps as you can in 10 minutes. When you hit 15 total reps for 10 minutes, add weight.

Saturday - Shoulders and Biceps
Density Workout
Exercise Sets Reps
Seated Press Behind The Neck or Military Press 7 30 Total
Seated Arnold Press or Upright Rows 7 30 Total
Barbell Curl or Standing Dumbbell Curl 7 30 Total
Strength Workout
Seated Press Behind The Neck 8 2 to 3
2 to 3 Shoulder Exercises of Choice 3 6 to 10
1 to 3 Biceps Exercises of Choice 3 6 to 10

Sunday - Legs
Density Workout
Exercise Sets Reps
Squat 3 to 4 6 to 10
Leg Extension 7 40 Total
Romanian Deadlifts 7 35 Total
Strength Workout
Squat 8 2 to 3
1 to 2 Quads Exercises of Choice 3 6 to 15
1 to 2 Hamstring Exercises of Choice 3 6 to 12
Notes
Note regarding ab training: Add in abs or calves once or twice per week if you wish - on any training day.

Hey Shorty, is there a reason why you prescribed that Routine for Head?

Head hasn't trained a lot recently by the sounds of it. He's also not super strong of anything. That means he is going to make 'noob gains', so a higher frequency at the start is prolly better, then progress to the Brosef stuff ie Week 1: 5/3/1 BBB Upper/Lower, Upper Lower. Week 2-3: P.P.L.(whatever frequency), Week 4 onwards: Brosef josef.

Secondly, this routine has 7 or 8 set main exercise. Anything above 4-5 should be kept for times when you want a change or progress has stalled or sumtin IMO.

Actually, if Head is doing physical work throughout the Day, perhaps a Brosef split might be appropriate.

Head hasn't trained a lot recently by the sounds of it. He's also not super strong of anything. That means he is going to make 'noob gains', so a higher frequency at the start is prolly better, then progress to the Brosef stuff ie Week 1: 5/3/1 BBB Upper/Lower, Upper Lower. Week 2-3: P.P.L.(whatever frequency), Week 4 onwards: Brosef josef.

Secondly, this routine has 7 or 8 set main exercise. Anything above 4-5 should be kept for times when you want a change or progress has stalled or sumtin IMO.
He's not really a noob, just hasn't trained much lately.

He'll do just fine.

I think because Headley said he prefers the bro splits. I agree though that maybe it's a little too complex for someone getting back into training. Especially the strength days; 2RM seems risky for someone getting back into the groove.

It should be fine, i am not in a rush or anything so i will take it easy for the first 4 weeks to get familiar with it and go from there