• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need some direction,

trofius

ok need to actually start caring about what i eat, so will post up a few things and look for some guidence

I am currently sitting around 73-75kg, @ ~15% bf

I need to get stronger, which means more lean mass, currently when i try to eat more I tend to get u[to around 76kg, and a little more sqishy. Now until MAY?? I want to remain under 75kg as this is my competition weight, I dont really want to have to cut prior to a comp, a few kg is ok, but no more than say 2kg over.

Until now I have just worked out, done my thing ate what i wanted, the only real diet modifications i have is a shake on full cream milk , as a meal replacement, when at work, and a pre and post shake. i try to avoid cakes etc.

pre is the Bulk nutriets pre workout NT i add more creatine and dextrose (currently not taking this and its killing me at gym, but need some time away from stims)

post is a scoop of wpi on water +dextrose

My Diet is crap, I have no idea what i am getting at this stage, I do know that i feel sluggish at gym, no staying power, and feel generally deflated, Having enough energy to get through work, home and gym has got to improve. i work shift work, so anytime from 6am to 10pm, and then also on call at all hours some weekends.

The current day is typically
* = either

Breakfast
cup of tea, white 2 sugers
*cerial (4 weetbix, whole milk and suger)
*porridge with added mixed dry fruit, and honey in winter
* 2 bits of toast, jam, peanut butter, promite
*spaghetti or tin stew on toast

For a snack at work
*small tin of creamed rice
*what ever biscuits the wife has cooked
*fruit, apple banana etc
shake i scoop+250ml whole milk

Lunch
usually left overs from the night before
or meat and sald roll wrap
popper

arvo snack
same as morning, usually just a shake
might have toast and peanut butter if at home
and a cup of coffee

preworkout drink >2 hours from last feed, <10min to workout

post workout
shake on water
or just water, and then dinner within an hour

Dinners , wife cooks I eat, usually
*steak and vegies
*Steak stirfries +rice or noodles
*chicken and noodles ( chicken tonight kinda stuff) or stirfries
*slowcooker stews
*spag bol
*snags and vegies and eggs

Might have icecream covered in milo after, maybe once a week
in winter I love a hot milo before bed, ~400ml cup

We occasionally have Pizza , maybe once a fortnight, with a glass or two of red.

Weekends or when I have more time I tend to make eggs benedict, scambled eggs, omlettes, eggs beans cheese, etc

Rarely drink, but its usually a wine or two, and maybe a beer or two on the weekend after the yard work.

During the day I will drinkl about 1L of water, juice, or cordial.

So basically I want to cut, get more energy, and add lean mass and strenght, But really need to get more energy.

Last edited:
if your really keen on making serious diet changes, then i'd suggest moving towards preparing food ahead of time.

eggs every day would be nice, instead of cereal...

now that your consciously thinking about nutrition, it will evolve over time. good luck!

Any reason for eating so frequently?

The key is understanding and knowing what your nutritional needs are i.e Calorie & Macronutrients, to support your goal. Without knowing that, you are simple winging it on your dietary intake by eating 'healthy' and could well be not eating sufficient nutrients/calories etc.

Your nutritional intake needs to be flexible, you need not worrya bout clean or dirty food as it all has it's place and is required to provide variety, flexibly and full micornutirent support. Our body sees nutrients not food names.

Eating 100% of your calories from micronutirent foods (which is not always necessary unless on an extremely calorie restricted diet) is of our personal preference, but once sufficient in your micro's, any more does not offer any extra benefit to body composition or exercise performance for that matter. Again it does come back to whatever allows for you to adhere to your caloric intake the best and not be OCD about things :)

FYI, you don't need to take Dextrose and WPI post workout.

Max

Soo many meals?? i have three meals a day, and maybe some snacks, mid morning/arfternoon, I have the shakes at work because they are quick and easy, i only get a 30min lunch, and 2 10min breaks if time allows. I have the shakes because if i dont I get hunger pains..

I was pretty much just eating what i wanted when i felt hungry, and wasnt really fussed on macros etc, but even though i figure I have a resonably low calory intake, if i try to eat more to get more energy, or feel solid at gym, I usually just get fat..

My guess is the macros or the combination of macros during the day are crap, which is leading to fat deposits, rather than energy., maybe I am paranoid about weight gain, but the energy is definetely lacking.

The only other factor for low energy could be crap sleep, (2 small kids, and shift work.) But even if I can get a massive 6-7 hours i still feel slack.

I have cut the pre workout, and usually its just one or two teas /coffees a day, so seeing if its just a relience on stims.

I have noted the post wpi & dextrose from your other thread, I am currently reading all i can on here.. By starting this thread it will keep me focused on changing my diet, and better understanding my bodies nutrient requirements, and when it needs them.

Does anyone know if the too much white processed carbs / gluten thing really makes you feel slack, no energy???

I should also add I add creatine to my daily shakes, and I take vitamin C 1000mg/day, and a mutivit. Any thing else i should be supplimenting.

T, All good mate :)

The meals things was to purely see if you where eating them for the right reasons. Meal frequency has no metabolic effect, it will however effect appetite level. The more frequently you eat the more frequently you will be hungry. Hungry has nothing to do with your metabolic rate being high or low. ;)

Lacking in energy, well chances are your calories and macro's are not in sufficient amounts and possibly even your micro's maybe lacking. You mentioned sleep, that all goes hand in hand. Good nutrition, good exercise, good hormone balance = good sleep.

You are only getting fat because your calories are too high and you then go from being in a calorie deficit to a surplus. With that said, you may still be in a deficit but if you say dropped your fat and or your protein and added more carbohydrates, initially you will have an increase in water retention. Sodium intake also effects water retention so if you have differing sodium intakes on a day to day basis you weight will fluctuation.

You work on energy balance, not when certain marconutrients are taken in during the day. Basic - calories in VS calories out. Calorie surplus = weight gain. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You can manipulate your macro's to support the quality of the body composition but the surplus and deficit still applies.

Carbs and Gluten, they will only make you feel sick if you are either intolerant or sensitive to them. With that said it is hard to make a direct link if the rest of your nutritional intake is out of balance etc.

Supplements - creatine and beta alanine for sports performance. Protein powder to supplement overall protein requirements. Fish oil for EPA & DHA EFA's. If you can find a good multi-vitamin, take that just to have your bases covered. Nothing else matters IMO.

Cheers max,
Salt, we don't add it to anything, I do notice I puff up a bit things like the wedding band doesn't fit, go up a notch on the belt some days, I figured it was just water retention.

Only salt would be from foods that already have it, like cured meats, and tined Jared stuff.