• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New gym stuff??

Bazza20

Ok at the moment I have a real urge to buy something new for my home gym.

At the moment I have
Commercial power rack
A few bars
Plates
Adjustable dumbbells
SSB
Flat bench
Old incline bench
Glute ham raise

What new toy would anyone suggest? The guys on here running there own gyms what pieces of equipment would you recommend?

Depends on your training i guess?

How about a box to do box squats on that could also double as providing plyometric exercises?

Or a prowler?

How bout some KB's?

Thanks for the ideas. I already have a box for box squats. I am probably leaning towards something to assist squats / deadlifts.

Depending on your goals and what/why you are training.
I honestly think a lat pulldown/low row (plate loaded high/low pulley) is a worthwhile piece of equipment to have after a power rack.
Can do almost all available cable exercises on it.

Edit - maybe not what you are looking for, just noticed you posted in strength/power lifting....

How about a solid free standing dip station with tapered bars?

Last edited:
Knee wraps
Dip bars
Trap bar
64kg or 80kg KB for UDLs.

Thanks sticky

Already have knee wraps. Don't really like them, for the only reason it's a pain in the arse wrapping my knees before a set.

Got dip handles and have a home made T handle that i use for UDLs. Have used up to 150kgs on it. Honestly not the biggest fan of UDLs.

Don't have a trap bar yet . Could be a option. How useful do you find it? Any carry over to squats and deads.

Bazza, there is carry over.
The resistance is in direct line with the torso which means that the emphasis is placed o th hip and leg and less on the lower back.
A standing leg press so to speak.

Thanks sticky

Already have knee wraps. Don't really like them, for the only reason it's a pain in the arse wrapping my knees before a set.

Got dip handles and have a home made T handle that i use for UDLs. Have used up to 150kgs on it. Honestly not the biggest fan of UDLs.

Don't have a trap bar yet . Could be a option. How useful do you find it? Any carry over to squats and deads.

Wraps are an awesome tool for overload if you learn the to wrap correctly.
UDLs reign supreme for lower back work.
As for trap bar, we only have been using it for a month, but pop makes some good points about it.
I also LOVE it for rows.

Wraps are an awesome tool for overload if you learn the to wrap correctly.
UDLs reign supreme for lower back work.
As for trap bar, we only have been using it for a month, but pop makes some good points about it.
I also LOVE it for rows.

With knee wraps I totally agree but I just hate putting knee wraps on myself and can never be bothered. I end up fucked before I even squat and my squat sessions take twice as long.

UDLs I agree are good but 80kg just isn't enough weight. I loaded up my handle with 110kg first time and cranked out 20 reps easily. Then put on 150kg and did 10 but it was too bulky with that much weight and too much stuffing around. I liked the movement but ended up thinking it was probably just easier to do deficit deads. Thinking about it deficit trap bar deads would probably work well as a replacement for UDLs and be much easier to chuck some weight on.

Trap bar I have been thinking about for a while now. Only thing that stopped me getting one was the general view when you read stuff on eleitfts and other PL sites there is minimal carryover and Dave Tate said westside gave them a very decent crack then scrapped them. Although I am sure it's a good movement in its own right.

Ok I am thinking trap bar might be worth giving a go. Surely it can only help with leg drive on conventional deadlift despite what a lot of people say.

Also have been browsing on the net and wondering what are people's opinions on a reverse hyper?

ghr is worth every penny.

I've got the reverse hyper is diff to the ghr. Not worth the money. Just do good mornings

Last edited:
So....... Make them do it properly lol.

Lots of people don't squat properly, you wouldn't (I hope) put them in a smith machine.