• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Non-Perishable Protein Alternatives (for out field)

Gunner

Just wanted to get some ideas for when I go out field to keep up my protein. The issued ration pack (ratpacks) are very calorie dense but are mostly from sugars and not alot of protein in them.

Whey is an option but can be a hassle because it takes up room in your pack. I've been looking into Jerky and Biltong. Thinking also about getting some of those cheap protein bars from Coles or Woolies.

Any other ideas?

Aussie bodies HPLC bars are probably your best bang for buck protein bar wise, 44g of protein and around $5. Havent found anything myself that can really compare to the size, amount of protein and ease of them for what your going to use them for. When we do any field stuff ( very rarely ) i just use the rat packs, depending on how long your out there its not going to really lose you to much muscle if you can still keep the calories up to the right level for the workload your doing.

Got some Jerky & Biltong on the way. Just ordered some of those protein bars as well just for a bit of variety. Better than nothing

Where did you get the jerky from mate? How much did it cost you?

On eBay. Seller is Biltong2Go. $25 per 500g. Pretty good stuff. You can chose the dryness of it. Had the average dryness last order. Going to try the driest this time to see how it handles out of the fridge and in my pack

Aussie bodies HPLC bars are probably your best bang for buck protein bar wise, 44g of protein and around $5. Havent found anything myself that can really compare to the size, amount of protein and ease of them for what your going to use them for. When we do any field stuff ( very rarely ) i just use the rat packs, depending on how long your out there its not going to really lose you to much muscle if you can still keep the calories up to the right level for the workload your doing.

Tried one of these last night. Not bad as far as protein bars go.

Am i missing something as far as protein and storage size goes. Just measure out "serving scoops" of whey and place them in ziplock bags for each serving. Won't take up much room and just add one to your water bottle when ur ready to go?

it would take less room then the protein bars + jerky I reckon

Depends on where your going mate, your kit can be left out in the sun and exposed to some pretty shitty weather. Protein powder isnt ideal, not to mention needs a shaker cup and mixing. Something ready to eat is far more convenient and easier to square away into your pack.

Gunner: Yea the HPLC bars go alright mate, i buy a few a week and just break em half and keep em in my pockets in zip lock bags to snack on in the hangar etc. for smoko. Nice and simple, not the cheapest option but they go alright if you wanna fork the coin out.

Depends on where your going mate, your kit can be left out in the sun and exposed to some pretty shitty weather. Protein powder isnt ideal, not to mention needs a shaker cup and mixing. Something ready to eat is far more convenient and easier to square away into your pack.

Gunner: Yea the HPLC bars go alright mate, i buy a few a week and just break em half and keep em in my pockets in zip lock bags to snack on in the hangar etc. for smoko. Nice and simple, not the cheapest option but they go alright if you wanna fork the coin out.

I never eat protein bars. My first option is Jerky/biltong and then the protein bars. I have both now so all set.

I got the HLPC bars from AminoZ. Cheapest I could find them without having to goto coles or woolies. Bought a box of 12. Works out to approx $4.30 each. Coles and woolies are $5.

Spot on

I never eat protein bars. My first option is Jerky/biltong and then the protein bars. I have both now so all set.

I got the HLPC bars from AminoZ. Cheapest I could find them without having to goto coles or woolies. Bought a box of 12. Works out to approx $4.30 each. Coles and woolies are $5.
If you want the best tasting protein bars get the "Oh Yeah" bars from ISS .

Best Iv'e tasted and high in protein. Shit all over the HPLC bars.

If you want the best tasting protein bars get the "Oh Yeah" bars from ISS .

Best Iv'e tasted and high in protein. Shit all over the HPLC bars.

Just had a look at those Shrek.

I wasn't really looking for the taste factor as long as it tastes good enough to eat.

HPLC bars still look the best bang for your buck bars I could find on from a google search. 45g of protein per 100g bar. Can buy them for approx $4.30 per bar.

The "Oh Yeah" bars are only 26g protein per 85g bar and $4.90 per bar before freight.

The HPLC bars also have twice the amount of fibre & three times less carbs than the "Oh Yeah" bars.

Taste wise, IMO, it is hard to beat either Titan Brownie Nut or Titan Peanut Butter. So good it's bad :D

Mate your probabley right but I'm not buying these for taste, just convience and compactness while out field.

Just did a quick google search on those titans bars. Almost same stats as the ISS ones.

Yeah mate for sure, they are certainly don't fit the bill for what you are after :) The HPLC bars are not bad by any means, I used to love the cheery ripe flav they back in the day.

Yes similar breakdown to the ol ISS Oh Yeah bars, but much tastier IMO.

Oh good luck and enjoy your exercise trip away.