• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Running] Nutrition

PowerBuilder

Here's the scene, you've just finished with a tough session. You got everything done & your feeling good...no wait, your feeling great!! Now the big question is, in terms of post workout nutrition, what do you do ?

Do you still stick with PRO & CHO at the same amount that ya'd have if you had done a weight session, or would it be different ?

It's pretty normal for me to have 35g of protein with 50g of waxy maize...would that be suffice after a cardio session ?

I do not have a PWO shake after cardio, I have some aminos pre and post and then eat as normal.

Here's the scene, you've just finished with a tough session. You got everything done & your feeling good...no wait, your feeling great!! Now the big question is, in terms of post workout nutrition, what do you do ?

Do you still stick with PRO & CHO at the same amount that ya'd have if you had done a weight session, or would it be different ?

It's pretty normal for me to have 35g of protein with 50g of waxy maize...would that be suffice after a cardio session ?

PB, obviously you're doing what you're doing for a reason. And everyone's reason is good for them. Now if your reason to having the 50g of WMS and WPI (I'm assuming here) is to spike/stimulate your insulin blood levels so as to minimise muscle loss due to the overproduction of the stress hormone cortisol at this crucial time, then I would change the carb to protein ratio from what you have now (1:0.7) to 4:1 or 3:1 in favour of carbs. Therefore for your 50gms of WMS, you'd only need between 12.5gms to 16.5gms of WPI to reach the balance I'm talking about.

Why?

Insulin stabilisation. Whey protein is a great insulin stabiliser, not something you'd want straight after training where a spike is more preferable to kick the muscle machinery into high gear. This is only relevant within that 45 minutes time frame we call the window of opportunity.

Again why?

Because at this time your cells are very much insulin sensitive instead of insulin resistant, meaning the chance of you becoming fat at this time is very slim (pun intended)!

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks fadi. I was under the impression that WPI turns into glucose quite quickly due to it being very quickly absorbed into the blood stream. Is that right?!

I've been doing a lot of stair sprints lately, I'll use the above advice you've put together as a PWO strategy!!

I thought it was very ahrd for your body to use amminos as energy unless there were no other carb sources present? And that this state is very catabolic.

Ketosis isnt it?

Weights, cardio, same demands on system. You just need more carbs postworkout for cardio if it was really long. But 30 minutes heavy weights, 30 minutes cardio, same-same for nutrition.

i'm under the impression that ketosis is when fat is used as the primary source of fuel. the fat get turned into ketos. and a ketogenic diet is when there are little to no carbs and therefor fat is used as fuel in the form of ketos. i may be wrong.

Thanks fadi. I was under the impression that WPI turns into glucose quite quickly due to it being very quickly absorbed into the blood stream. Is that right?!

I've been doing a lot of stair sprints lately, I'll use the above advice you've put together as a PWO strategy!!

PB, Whey protein does the following:
· reduces insulin concentration in the blood by up to 40%
· Lower insulin concentrations are associated with improved blood sugar control and reduced fat storage.

The above sounds great as I've siad before, but right after training I don't want all the insulin reducing effect WPI can cause, hence the changing of the ratios from 1:0.7 to 4:1

PS: WPI is not going to turn into glucose just because it's quickly digested and absorbed. It's going to break down into amino acids and from there get shuttled by insulin into your muscles to help with muscle synthesis as its primary function.

Fadi.

thread hijack.

What do you reccomend before bed in place of dairy because fo cassein.

I am in the routine of ahving 250-500g cottage cheese. what should i replace this with?

Last edited by a moderator:
thread hijack.

What do you reccomend before bed in place of dairy because fo cassein.

I am in the routine of ahving 250-500g cottage cheese. what should i replace this with?

Hummus on a slice of bread plus a couple of eggs. That should really relax you due to the high trptohpan which will have an easy access in bypassing the blood-brain barrier due to all the other amino acids competing together for entry into the blood stream...and enter they will. By doing so they will leave the Serotonin King alone without competition to do its thing.

If you're wondering why or how; it's because insulin does not have an effect on trptohpan, hence the other aminos would be shuttled into the blood on insulin's "back" with (like I said) trptohpan being left alone to enter the brain and raise serotonin.

Cottage cheese does the same thing, but I'd rather get all my calcium and other goodies from the chick peas and sesame seed paste (tahini).

Have I answered your question n00bs?

Here's some copy and paste info you may be interested in re tryptophan, serotonin and HGH.

Tryptophan is an amino acid that is converted to serotonin, which increases HGH during sleep. The nutrient is also found in milk, which may explain why drinking milk at night is a common remedy for insomnia. Five studies reported small increases in HGH with doses of more than five grams. It appears to be a mind-body regulator, decreasing anxiety and depression, and with the addition of vitamin B6, tryptophan may help reduce the severity of panic attacks. The usual dosage is one to two grams at bedtime. For best results, it should be taken with B6 (30 mg) and vitamin C (250 mg), which the brain uses to convert tryptophan to serotonin.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Isnt that what happens when you have next to no carbs for 3 days straight except maybe from some lean red meat + vegies. So it turns to burning fat?