• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Occasionaly Drug Use

Morgan

I don't want to get into an argument regarding legalities or ethics or anything like that, but... I am a huge fan of rave parties and getting mighty loose on small occasions and get to a few per year, What affect do these 3-4 nights per year have on my training? I'm assuming not much if I stick to my plan for the other 361 days of the year?

Cheers guys.

Edit: How bad does this look, I misspell Occasionally lol... Never mind.

That's a personal choice only Morgan can make. I can get into the psychological aspect of it and what ramification it may have, but I won't for now.

Fadi.

It's a hard question to answer.

We're talking about risk, here.

Every time you lose control of your perception of the world and your actions, there is a risk of physical or mental injury to you or someone else. And a risk of legal hassles, too.

I play roleplaying games, and if I tell a player, "okay you can do that, but roll 3 dice, if all three dice come up 6 then your character is dead," the player will usually hesitate and try to think of some other way to do things. With only a 1 in 216 chance of death, they hesitate.

And that's with a fictional character. Why would you take more care of a fictional character than yourself? Wacky.

Every time we do anything there is some risk. We drive too fast, drink a bit too much, go hang-gliding, push or reps to failure, and so on. We just have to judge for ourselves whether the risk is worth it.

Me? I think the risk of illegal drugs is too high for what they do for you.

Last edited:
Was once a party animal myself until I realized that the ups were less, but it was taking longer to recover from the downs. Personally, will never be as skinny as I was during that time. Sometimes I miss the fun aspect and still can't listen to dance music straight.

But I know that there was no way I could train for a few days later- killer headache, sore teeth and jaw, eat nothing for two days and then stuff myself with crap.

I know people go crazy about substances because of the legality issue, but I would look at it more like alcohol. Do you drink regularly or do you choose not to because it effects how you train? It's a big part of the reason why I stopped and don't really drink much any more. Thought it was a contradiction to work my butt off in search of a healthy body, but I was filling it with crap all the time.

I find the answers on here odd.

Morgan taking a party drug is exactly the same as drinking alcohol, legalities aside, as Morgan is only discussing the affects.

I find it odd how many dont consider alcohol or tobacco a drug, which they are, and alcohol, for most young people, is a mind altering one.

If 2 young guys are going out, one to get pissed and one to get stoned, the one that gets stoned is ahead if altering body composition is a consideration.

For the record, I've never smoked, drunk or taken a party drug, but I classify alcohol as equally bad.

I dont allow the government to be my morale conscious, all mind altering drugs are the same, whether its legal or not is besides the point, except the government collects a healthy income from the ones they call legal.

Do what you like big fella, just dont do it to often.

I remember being stunned watching Naim smoking at a World Championships in Melbourne in the 90's, didnt seem to stop him being the best.

I find the answers on here odd.

Morgan taking a party drug is exactly the same as drinking alcohol, legalities aside, as Morgan is only discussing the affects.
By "legal hassles" I didn't mean so much whether the thing itself was legal or not, but that while your perceptions are altered you are more likely to do things which bring into contact with the legal system, like get into brawls, car crashes and so on.

I just know that if I'm lifting iron, then me and my training partner had better be 100%, or things can get messy.

raves just aint what they used to be, take me back to the late 90's early '00's. i hardly ever have any nights out like i used to, still love my techno although i havent been to any parties or played my decks for a long time. i dont think you can put that sort of strain on your body week in week out without consequences, but only a few times a year? well i dont think thats so bad.

Last edited:
i agree with kyle here.

i dont drink or smoke either, so IMHO smoking, drinking, drugs, one is no better than the other.

um, most of you people have lost sight of the question asked... i dont think he cares what and if you take anything... he wants to know the physical effects of it with regards to workout routines.

well i think only he can really know how it will affect him, it is different from person to person. i seen people at uni who used that stuff, some were ok, some went right off and lost it.

well i think only he can really know how it will affect him, it is different from person to person. i seen people at uni who used that stuff, some were ok, some went right off and lost it.

they wouldve been taking it a lot more than just 3-4 times per year but you are right in saying everyones different. i think age plays a big part in your recovery from these things. when your in your 20's you can bounce back the next day or the day after much quicker than you can when you get older. theres no way i could be ****ed lifting weights the monday back from a big weekend these days, try maybe thursday or friday :D

i also think that we all know that the effects of things such as drugs, alcohol and tobacco are bad for our health, we live in the 21st century with a wealth of knowledge in these topics, it is almost common sense to know any of those things are not good for you. sometimes not even in moderation.

I don't want to get into an argument regarding legalities or ethics or anything like that, but... I am a huge fan of rave parties and getting mighty loose on small occasions and get to a few per year, What affect do these 3-4 nights per year have on my training? I'm assuming not much if I stick to my plan for the other 361 days of the year?

Cheers guys.

Edit: How bad does this look, I misspell Occasionally lol... Never mind.

I'm not gonna promote illegal drug usage, but I don't think standard MDMA doses at 3 to 4 times a year will have an impact on 361 remainder days. Alcohol for that matter is a substance or drug that severely affects the brain and liver . It's just legal, so people overlook it and say "ahhh mate, it's fine!!!"

I find it hard now to recover from three glasses of wine! Age definitely comes into play. I used to work all day Friday, get smashed Friday night and get home at 7am, start work Saturday at 9am and not get home until Sunday afternoon.

Like the other guys have said, you know your body. Will a couple of extra days off over the course of the year cause massive problems? Unlikely unless you are an absolute slacker who will use it as an excuse to not train for weeks.

Modo: your right none of them are good for you in moderation but if people want to take them they will and for many people that do take them in "moderation" its quite likely that they may never see or feel the effects of any of them in the short term or the long term. Just depends on the person, the type of drugs they are taking, how often and the amounts.

If your out on the gear a few times a year its no worse for your training than using alcohol to the same extent.

Ben cousins won a Brownlow with a meth problem.

The effects would be more than four days,no?
I am a drug novice but I understand that a lot of those party
drugs dehydrate you and the after effects can last for days.
Plus the munchies (do these drugs give you the munchies?).
Can you guarantee yourself that it will be four times a year and
no more?Could you get hooked?And how about the chance of
a bad trip?Two of my old school mates are hopeless skitzos
beacause of drugs.Not to mention the possibilty of death.These
drugs aren`t made in sterile labs with pure ingredients and
being illegal there are no standards to follow.You could be taking
anything.
For me,legalities and morals aside,the risks are way too many to
justify taking drugs even once.

3-4 times a year. Who cares! Just enjoy those times, especially given how hard you work in the gym the rest of the year.

My party days are over, but I really enjoy having a few pints. Why? Cause I know I've been working out hard and I deserve it, and I enjoy it.

As for risks, as long as you're not mixing substances and you keep hydrated, you'll be a lot safer than walking about the CBD on a Friday night.

Thanks for the honest replies guys. I guess considering I'm off the smokes now, and my drinking is massively in check, I have earned these few nights a year :) :)