• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

On extreme protein intake

Oli

A collection of good sources:

IA said:
I know and work with a lot of talented BB’ers and PL’ers and every SUCCESSFUL one will tell you the body needs EXTREME protein intake levels if you are to ever do well lifting and adding mass. Of course there are plenty of buck-sixty pound guys out there that will quote studies telling you that it is not needed.

I am constantly bombarded with posts from under 200 lb guys saying things like “I heard that the body can only assimilate 30-35 grams at a time” or the super MORONIC statement that is even more frequently heard “I don’t want to “waste” protein”. Oh really? It’s OK to drive to the gym, workout 2-6 days a week, spend countless hours lifting and prepping meals and spending God knows how much a month on mostly USELESS supplements (there are great ones, most guys buy the flashy crap ones though because of the marketing hype), and then after all that time, money and effort, they “are worried about “wasting” a bit of protein? Please, get real.

You need to understand that before a single gram of protein will be used for growth, first overall metabolic needs must be attended to. Then you need to take in to account all the micro-trauma that heavy training creates. Your body must use the ingested protein to first just synthesize protein just to heal what was damaged and get you back to square one before any additional mass will be accrued.

Now comes the big kicker that almost everyone here reading this is CLUELESS about—how little actual protein content is in the food you eat. When many see a recommendation that a 200 lb guy trying to add mass should get 375-400 grams of protein a day many flip-out. That is nuts! No one could use or possibly have a need for that much protein---WRONG! Just because 8 ounces of steak with fat has about 60 grams of protein, the average guy assumes that 400 grams of actual protein is a HUGE amount. IT IS NOT! 8 ounces of steak is mostly water and other constituents that do NOT count as the protein count.

But instead of taking my word for it, you do the math and find out how much ACTUAL PROTEIN is in an amount you would consider HUGE, and then think about what your overall bodyweight is and how tore-up a hard workout makes you feel.

Weight Converter : Weight / Mass Measurement Conversion Calculator

Did you do the math? What do you think now?

Iron Addict

IA said:
That (3.52 ounces) is the actual protein weight of 100 grams of protein. Do the math yourself of use any of the online calculators. Here one is:

Weight Conversion Calculator

People freak out about eating a HUGE 350 gram of protein a day diet not understanding the reality that all you are doing is adding 12.34 ounces of amino acids to your 150-250 lb body that all lean tissue is built of amino acids. So many guys that eat a gram or less per lb of bodyweight and are convinced that is all they need, knowing nothing about protein turnover will forever remain stranded in no gain land.

IA

Dante Trudel said:
DC::Think for a second--If you fill your hunger with protein first what are you most likely not going to eat a huge amount of? It takes roughly 24.6-26 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of protein yet it only takes roughly 3.8 to 4.2 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of fats/carbs so are you figureing out yet why my trainees are always hot like a furnace and stay reasonably lean eating gross amounts of food?

Yes it's obvious to see that successful PLers and BBers eat an insane amount of protein everyday but you always get skinny dudes and fat dieticians quoting some government study that suggests eating a tiny amount of protein is enough.

Keith Wassung.

When I was younger ( 14-24) and wanted to gain muscular bodyweight, I did the following eating plan.

First, I would stock up the fridge on quality proten items such as soft boiled eggs, chicken breasts, swiss cheese, sirloin burgers, and would put all of this in a large tupperware container in the fridge and during the day would snack out of it, at least every hour would eat 2 eggs, or one of the meat items and then at night, would get up and eat as well.

In addition, would eat regular meals, usually big salads and tons of fresh vegetables and maybe some brown rice.

I would also take a high fiber supplement as well.

This worked especially well when I had been training real hard for the previous 4-6 weeks and had hit a plateau.

this worked especially way over three day weekends, such as Labor Day ( approaching soon)

The results, I always achieved incredible solid muscle and strength gains in the weeks following this eating plan.

Keith W.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes it's obvious to see that successful PLers and BBers eat an insane amount of protein everyday but you always get skinny dudes and fat dieticians quoting some government study that suggests eating a tiny amount of protein is enough.

I can see where you're coming from but I can also see where the "skinny dudes and fat dieticians" are coming from. I say it's all a knee jerk reaction on both sides. And yes, I'm saying both sides are guilty of going to extremes. The nutritionists and/or dieticians you're talking about are not looking at the big picture but are towing the line of their peers instead. I see no difference in the sporting community where just because certain individuals eat a huge amount of a particular macro nutrient, all now have to get on the band wagon and do likewise. I mean if someone is growing fine on (say) 2g of protein/kg, why increase it to 3 or 4 grams just because someone else is doing it! Steroid dosages are no different here either since paranoia reigns supreme in the sport of bodybuilding (and possibly other sports).

The formula is, the less your calorie consumption, the more protein (and more quality protein in that) you have to consume, and the higher your calories are, the less protein (and less attention to quality is the norm).

What taught me the above? Experience.

Fadi.