• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pendlay seminar

High Road

So I attended the Pendlay seminar on the weekend in Brisbane at Cougars Weightlifting Club and I thought I'd post up some interesting points that Glenn raised for discussion.

Regarding programming:

Glenn discussed the history of weightlifting, how it has change, what the lifts use to be (there use to be 5 lifts) and how changing the rules changed the lifts into what they are today. He discussed the Russian method, Bulgarian method (and how at the time this would have been like the high school footy team (Bulgaria) thrashing the Melbourne Storm (Russia)) and more recently the Chinese method. He then went on to talk about how these method are not effective for the USA and Australia, simply because of our culture and wealth. Interested in hearing others thoughts on this without opening up a can of shitworms...

I'll probably butcher a lot of what he said but:

On the lifts, it started out as strongman type stuff at the circus, a guy would lift something on stage and challenge people in the crowd to do the same thing. The Olympic lifting use to be a one arm clean and jerk and snatch type (left and right handed) movement and the main movement being a strict press with the weight being taken from the ground. Basically they would Deadlift it and rest it on their thighs, roll it up to the waist, on to the belt and then lean back and roll it up to the shoulders, from there they would lean back and do a standing bench press with legs locked out, knee bend was cheating, then with the weight locked out with the arms stand it up right. This then developed into the "clean" where the bar would go from the ground to the shoulders without touching the body. This then changed into the clean we know today to stop the arguments over if the bar brushed the body/shorts or not.

As for the methods, taking a 10-12yo child and putting them in a weightlifting camp with a 10y program. With the amount of poverty in these place it give the kids a chance to get 3 meals a day plus clothing. Some countries reward the families for the child's achievements with cash, car, house etc, so when the kids ring up asking to come home the families encourage them to stay.

Kids in our countries (USA/AUS) don't have that level of commitment due to our wealth and culture, we aren't poor countries and kids would rather go on the Australian BodyBuilding and research the best training templates to use to get better rather than training twice a day to get better. The take away message seemed to be more about getting the kids into the gym to train (which isn't an issue for these countries, Glenn said currently in China he has heard that there is anywhere from 100,000 to 700,000 Weight Lifters currently training, would we have that many kids in any sport in Australia?)

I'd agree with what you write
High road.

There is a good series of books called; "muscle, smoke and mirrors"which also explains this in great detail.

These methods don't work because we can't train full time and don't have the same genetic pool. All our best athletes go into track & field- not weightlifting

Doesn't mean that it won't work for you though. I have great success with Chinese style training. Hit some maxes each day, do a variation that hits a specific weakpoint, "get strong" and finish with some bodybuilding type shit

I don't think it's about being able to train full time Oni, Chinese kids still go to school, and I don't think it's gene pool related either, more about culture.

Our best athletes go into swimming, track and field etc because there is better funding and more exposure at a school level, there aren't to many schools out there that expose kids to Olympic lifting (IMO they should, even if the kids don't stick with it it would help their track and field, football, basketball etc athletes.) Add to that you don't have talent scouts going around looking for kids to lift.

I'm sure you can see results from the Russian/Bulgarian/Chinese programming, but that is different to the method.

Something else he also mentioned was that the Russians are very protective of their kids. They won't let a kid do something that could cause potential harm. He use ice hockey as an example, kids in Russia aren't allowed to "check" other kids (into the wall, glass etc) they find it quite barbaric that kids in USA are allowed to do this and think its pretty disgusting stuff. As a result their kids only prepare for weightlifting without actually performing the lifts until they are 15-16yrs.

I'll probably butcher a lot of what he said but:

On the lifts, it started out as strongman type stuff at the circus, a guy would lift something on stage and challenge people in the crowd to do the same thing. The Olympic lifting use to be a one arm clean and jerk and snatch type (left and right handed) movement and the main movement being a strict press with the weight being taken from the ground. Basically they would Deadlift it and rest it on their thighs, roll it up to the waist, on to the belt and then lean back and roll it up to the shoulders, from there they would lean back and do a standing bench press with legs locked out, knee bend was cheating, then with the weight locked out with the arms stand it up right. This then developed into the "clean" where the bar would go from the ground to the shoulders without touching the body. This then changed into the clean we know today to stop the arguments over if the bar brushed the body/shorts or not.

As for the methods, taking a 10-12yo child and putting them in a weightlifting camp with a 10y program. With the amount of poverty in these place it give the kids a chance to get 3 meals a day plus clothing. Some countries reward the families for the child's achievements with cash, car, house etc, so when the kids ring up asking to come home the families encourage them to stay.

Kids in our countries (USA/AUS) don't have that level of commitment due to our wealth and culture, we aren't poor countries and kids would rather go on the Australian BodyBuilding and research the best training templates to use to get better rather than training twice a day to get better. The take away message seemed to be more about getting the kids into the gym to train (which isn't an issue for these countries, Glenn said currently in China he has heard that there is anywhere from 100,000 to 700,000 Weight Lifters currently training, would we have that many kids in any sport in Australia?)

Sounds like alot of shitty excuses from a national team coach who can't produce a champion.

A great athlete can come from any country, usain bolt is jamaican would have had fuck all resources at his diaposal. Mike tyson was in an out of youth detention went on to be the greatest heavyweight of all time.

The problem is their national team coach is more concerned with travelling around milking money out of crossfit fad then he is with producing a champion.

edit: is pendlay still their national team coach??

Sounds like alot of shitty excuses from a national team coach who can't produce a champion.

A great athlete can come from any country, usain bolt is jamaican would have had fuck all resources at his diaposal. Mike tyson was in an out of youth detention went on to be the greatest heavyweight of all time.

The problem is their national team coach is more concerned with travelling around milking money out of crossfit fad then he is with producing a champion.

I just don't where to begin on this Brick, only to say you are a tool.

I just don't where to begin on this Brick, only to say you are a tool.

Its true mate he is or was supposed to be their greatest proponent and he is getting around in paid public speaking engagements running the team down against their opposition. With that attitude of course tgey'll never win a medal or take a worlds.

Its true mate he is or was supposed to be their greatest proponent and he is getting around in paid public speaking engagements running the team down against their opposition. With that attitude of course tgey'll never win a medal or take a worlds.
[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; i quoted the wrong post i meant to quote tge post where he was talking about not beating the commo system of bringing them in young and hungry etc.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Fuck tgis tapatalk shit now I fucking quoted myself.

What sort of resources do you think the Bulgarians had?

Are you sure about Bolt, or just making assumptions? And Tyson as your second example...come on mate...

Mike Burgener, you know, the Crossfit go to guy, he's the national coach :D

Caleb Ward?

What sort of resources do you think the Bulgarians had?

Are you sure about Bolt, or just making assumptions? And Tyson as your second example...come on mate...

Mike Burgener, you know, the Crossfit go to guy, he's the national coach :D

Caleb Ward?

Maybe shit examples but do you not agree that the ex national coach who is still involved in the team should be talking their chances up not running them down

Pendlays sour cause he never had any success as a coach.

Something else that was mentioned regrading the Chinese was that they are no longer encouraging the pushing of the knees out during the squat. Thoughts on this?

I've always been taugh and teach pushing the knees out on the upward motion of the squat (when I say knees out, I mean keeping them over the feet, not letting them collapse in)

Something else that was mentioned regrading the Chinese was that they are no longer encouraging the pushing of the knees out during the squat. Thoughts on this?

I've always been taugh and teach pushing the knees out on the upward motion of the squat (when I say knees out, I mean keeping them over the feet, not letting them collapse in)

;ONI posted a video recently about this.

Maybe shit examples but do you not agree that the ex national coach who is still involved in the team should be talking their chances up not running them down

Pendlays sour cause he never had any success as a coach.

Dude, he has had great success as a coach, Caleb Ward broke 19 records and trained under Pendlay since he was 12. You then have Donny Shankel, Jon North, and most recently Travis Cooper. He holds try out days for team MDUSA because he has so many inquires to be on the team, he use to have to go and recruit people. Are we talking about the same guy here??

Edit: Team MDUSA's Performance at the 2013 US Weightlifting Nationals. Team MDUSA's Mens Team won team title. Travis Cooper won best lifter with a 6 for 6 day!

Last edited: