• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Poll on Chicken Farming

Are chickens better off in a Cage or living Free Range in a Paddock??

• Total voters

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
Make it simple here.

Are chickens better off roaming around in a paddock like chickens were meant to do even though that would expose them to hot/cold/rain/disease/predators, and where they have to walk to find food?

OR

Are chickens better off in a battery hen cage where it is climate controlled, they get all the food they need put in front of them and they don't have to (can't they are in a cage) walk any where.

Honestly not sure - is this purely from a production point of view? I.e which do we believe to be the best for the consumer - or the best for the chicken to live an overall ok life?

Of course it is better for animals to live free (sound like a hippy) - like they should be doing BUT as a consumer should we be paying more for something that has a lower overhead for the person/s producing the product - no - the price of eggs should be the same/or same'ish even if they are free range or caged - and make it simply a matter of personal preference/if you believe in one of the other - and not force people into simply another marketing campaign.

I guess where do you draw the line though? Should we not keep dogs locked in the backyard, should we not keep fish in a bowl, should we not keep horses in a paddock - I guess sometimes you have to see something for what it is - really a chicken is there to feed us, and keep us alive - of course I would never want to see chickens piled on top of eachother - but if they can be kept caged in a manner that is not overly cruel or hurtful to the animal but also able to produce mass amounts of eggs that feed people then I don't have a problem with that.

Free Range for me.
I watched a video posted by Sydney Hen rescue, of a Hen who was freed from a cage and able to scratch the earth for the first time ever. It was up there with those vids of kids getting their hearing aids turned on for the first time.

Free Range for me.
I watched a video posted by Sydney Hen rescue, of a Hen who was freed from a cage and able to scratch the earth for the first time ever. It was up there with those vids of kids getting their hearing aids turned on for the first time.

Don't believe youtube videos by animals rights groups. I've seen some on dairy farming and its nothing like how dairy actually is.

Turns out some of the videos of people treating cows badly were performed and videoed by animals rights people themselves then posted on youtube to try and further their agenda.

cages: Its for the good of humanity because in the wild they might devolve back to the nasty kind of Theropods and start eating kunce and knocking houses down and generally upsetting the delicate balance we strive to maintain as custodians of the food chain.

Last edited:
Ahh, ooky dooky.

I would select that option, but if that is not available then FR obviously, presuming the caged option infers PETA style third world mini squat rack sized torture chambers.

So let's get this straight, you care about the chickens well being & suitability of its environment but see no issue with devouring its unborn foetus.

Am I the only one seeing the hypocrisy here?

Are we taking into account the increase in greenhouse emissions from the less economical methods used for free range eggs? Need more food using more fossil fuels to produce etc etc.

When I had chickens they were so free range I thought one had been take. By a cat until it came back with chicks.

I can't stand do gooders only giving half the information to push their ideas though.

Similar to the ethanol increases the cost of food deal where removing the sugar from grains makes it better as livestock feed instead of just using it up and stopping it being used elsewhere.

You wont eat unborn fetus because the eggs havent been fertilised. Eggs need to pass through QA plus there aren't roosters in the mix.

Free range all da way.

Srsly, how much damage are we doing to the environment by letting some animals run around in paddocks?

Most kunce cruising around in big arse suv's or v8's are doing more harm to the environment everyday sitting in traffic than worrying about some birds running around in a paddock.