• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Post Your Injury Stories!

Morgan

Seems a lot of people on here are getting injured lately, I thought it might be a good idea for everyone to post their stories in the one place, include how it happened, what you did wrong, and what you are doing about it, how far back it's put your training etc etc,

Cheers, Morgan
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure if this counts...But

Inguinal Hernia Surgery -
Occured because - A genetic weakness in the muscular lining of my stomach.
What I did wrong - Born genetically with it :p blame the parents
What I'm doing about it - Had it repaired 3 months ago.
Put my training back - 2 months atleast if not more.

Moral - Be careful, hernia are f u cking horrible. The surgery is horrific considering I went from being able to run a 14 for a beep test to being unable to walk to the end of my street.

Prevention - Don't create a huge amount of intracostal pressure (stomach pressure) it'll push something out.

- Dropped a 20kg on my toe because i wasnt paying attention and bumped into a plate leaning against the wall. My toe got all purple and i had to wait for it to drop off. Took 5 months to heal.

- Snapped by back while doing squats. Sounded like a twig breaking when it snapped. Some HOT skanky ASS blonde walked past as i was on the way down portion of the lift. I looked and next thing i was on floor staring at the ceiling. Couldnt walk for 4 days.

- Didnt warm up properly before doing military presses. Heard a crack on the left traps. Next thing i couldnt turn the head left for over a whole day. I had to turn to the right to speak to somebody on the left of me. :D

- Wanked too much (over 5 times) in a day. The balls hurt as if they had been kicked every hour on the hour. Couldnt pee without hurting. (this is still an injury!!)

I've had that last one ceffo :p but it was from doing it not wanking lol. Hurt to get a boner! Most painful thing ever.

Good post everyone, (except Oliver)

Off the top of my head though... Sticky, Alvin, NPR & Paullie all had some serious physical problems!
Posted via Mobile Device

My lower back muscle are to strong for my core and they are pulling the back part of my spine (the unsupported) together which is causeong nerve pinching. Soloution is I need to activate my core and do regular core work to make sure the discs are recieving the impact not my spine.

Dislocated finger which broke the finger socket out as well. Did it 8 months ago and it's still recovering.

Hip flexor, injurred it in MMA when I was 17 and to thus day it can give me troubles.

Knee... Doesn't agree with heavy squats some days which I've found is due to my hip injurry. My right leg when it healed the muscle were prone to turning inwards more which puts stress on my right knee. I'm currently doing streches which will fix this and I have come back on my squats weight to fix the minor form error.

Broken heart... Ceffo has a new avatar which I wish I could throughly enjoy but I have low test atm. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
tore bicep tendon clean off the bone
deadlifted 295 without doing proper conditioing work for bicep
had to get surgery and was in a sling for 12weeks
it took for around 6 months to get enough condition back to be able to do a pull up

aggrevated disc (L1)- have done this twice
first time from sloppy form deadlifting, second time from absolutely smashing myself in training session after session. Something had to give.
Both times it resulted in no squatting or deadlifting for 5-6weeks. The second time it also meant I could bench with my feet on the ground for a week also.

partially torn rotator
I actually did this doing heavy cleans after a long bench session
6 months rehab till strength returned on bench

torn rhombiod
did this doing heavy squats with tons of band tension, came out of the hole and the band tension rounded my back- tearing the rhombiod
very painful and for a year after whenever I squatted heavy I would re-injure it and get upper back spasms whenever I squatted, deadlifted, sneezed or coughed.
I just kept training through it and smashed myself with neurofen and voltaren- which created more problems for my stomach.

Hmmmm Well.
In the lead up to nationals I was doing band assisted deadlifts, they are like rack pulls, but from the floor.
My normal deadlift 1rm was 220kg. We worked up to 210kg, and then I had a bit of a "who has the longest dick" moment. 210kg was the max one of our guys could pull (his 1rm was about 180), so we decided to see who could get the most reps.
One guy got 1, the other got 6, and I got 12.

Keep in mind that you have the full weight from just below your knees.

It was just too much weight.

One of my legs is like 4cm longer than the other. I have a slight scoliosis. I couldnt activate my transverse abs.
All of that, plus the weight, and the fatigue, pushed my SI joint out of place.

This caused my muscles to tighten up, and give me some pain - about a 6-10.

I went to nationals, smashed it with deep heat, lifted a comp PB, and made it a whole lot worse.
Over the next few days it just got worse and worse. It got to the point I couldnt move. The pain was INSANE and I thought I was pretty much done. Pain was 10/10, and I had weeks off work.

So far its cost me about 1k in physio, $200 in massages, $800 in chiro, and im still not fixed. But its getting alot better. Im going to start deadlifting VERY light on friday. Ive only just started squatting again. Working my way up from 50% of my old 1rm.

How far has it set me back? Physically, about 4-6 months. Mentally, not sure. All I do know is Im now wearing a belt which is something I thought Id never do.

Moral of the story?
Leave the dick swinging for when your drunk...... Not in the gym, thats when you get injured.

Last edited:
Had a few drinks on a camping trip and decided to jump a fence into a cow paddock and try cow tipping. They are certainly a bit heavier than you first expect and after a 3rd running hip and shoulder, the cow stayed upright unaffected and I had a dislocated shoulder - not a big deal, but I then decided to start bashing it against the door frame of a friends caravan to "pop it back in" like Riggs in Lethal Weapon which did more bad than good. Needed shoulder surgery when I got back to Perth. Took 12 months off to make sure I got it right. Then 24 months after that I tore an ACL playing basketball - another 12 months rehab! During this I started a business and lifting took a backseat and I'm now at the point where I can get back into it finally.......

No serious injury from lifting besides a hamstring strain from split leg jumps (when too deep).

I do have the same problem as Sticky though mine came from a car accident (didn't know I had it) and got worse due to lifting (bad form here and there made it worse) and tight hammies and hip flexors. Now I can't squat or dead for a while until it heals. But I can work on the postural issues.

Nothing of Spritchas injuries though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dislocated my shoulder when I was 16, waited over an hour with it sticking out of the joint until the doctor figured out a way to put it back in. All I remember is being high off the green whistle stuff and him using a towel to pull my arm out. Shoulder now comes out every now and then doing random shit, but gym has helped it immensely.

When I was 10 I broke the bone off in my pinky, and had to have it screwed back in! :p

These are abit whimpy compared to everyone else.

- Cut my hand up making a project for an engineering design course, 4 stitches. Set me back 1 - 1.5 months
- Sciatic pain. Self diagnosed piriformis syndrome, did all the stretches and it got better. Havent had any pain since. Set me back 1 month - 1.5 months

Strained my back doing deadlifts. Bad form plus not respecting the weight i was lifting at the time was the cause. Went to a physio who said it was a bad muscle strain and not a slipped disk or anything.

Was getting sharp pains up my back starting from around my butt crack area and shooting upwards. Was getting this when i walked and when i sat down (work in IT so im sitting on my ass all day, didnt help)

Physio advised i should see him twice a week to get ultrasound done to my back but didnt bother. Just got my missus to massage it and stopped doing squats and deads for a couple months.

Have recently starting deadlifting again and i am back up to 140kg for 5x3. Was deadlifting 155 for 3x5 previously but i have much better form now compared to what i used to. Also using a belt now which i wasnt before.

Only other injuries have been like minor muscle strains. Mainly in my upper back around my shoulder blades and stuff. They are usually gone in 2-3 days though.

All in all i have been pretty lucky so far.

Last edited:
only have had 2 injuries with weight lifting, 1) dropped a 20kg plate on my big toe, killed the toe nail and took over 6 months for the nail to grow back. (2) strained my back deadlifting once, wasnt sore for long.

all other injuries from playing touch footy and snowboarding.
from touch footy over past 10 yrs, medial ligament right knee tear, numerous ankle rolling, AC in shoulder, diving into the try line and did not slide,
With ankle, i broke through full sprint, my brother on other team came across from side as he dropped back, we stepped on the same piece of grass and my foot slipped out from stepping on his boot, syndesmosis tear, 3 other ligaments in foot torn and 2 tendons on each side of foot torn, that took ages to heal,

snowboarding...... broken nose (on a rail), bursa sack inflamation on shoulder, and medial ligamnet on left knee and cartlidge tear (landed on the flat of 40ft jump, too much speed, numerous times being winded and sore tailbone.

and ages ago in the extreme heat of battle playing paintball sprained my knee badly.

im averagin one injury a year, they stuff me around for about 2-3 months each.

I'll try and remember all of mine. Theres a few.

-Dislocated knee during a sparring session. I came in with a roundhouse attempt, he beat me to the kick, hitting my loaded leg, a bit too low. Leg buckled, bad things happened. Wasn't weight training at the time, took about 4 weeks to get back into light training properly.

-Pushed left hand pinky knuckle 2cm~ into my hand, breaking the metacarpal. This was entirely my fault and due to stupidity. Set me back about a month. Wasn't weight training at this point still.

-Shoulder Reconstruction, due to repetitive use and muscle imbalance during sport. Only set me back about a week as I was training again in a sling after that time. Set back "real" training by 2 months, including re-hab. Preventative measure where to fix imbalances and strengthen whole shoulder girdle.

-Arthritis/Degredation of L3/4 + spur of bone growth going into spinal column. This mixed with an abnormally narrow spinal colum is in general a bad deal. Remedied with heavy Dead's/Row's and Ab work. Helps create a muscle belt to hold everything in place so the 'ol bones don't take too much of the brunt. It can't be fixed properly except for surgery, but that's a road I'm not willing to take untill absolutely neccessary.

-Compressed/Impinged nerve + pulled hamstring/glute after trying to be a hero deadlifting and getting a new PR...for 3 reps. On the final rep it was all good untill I was putting it back down and relaxed a little too much. Stupid rookie mistake and has been remedied by knowing my limits.

I have a few more, but not really training related.

I was squatting (about 3 years ago) and I heard a loud crack in my back. Not much pain though. I ceased training and went home and rested up. I thought I did serious damage but after a coupla days it felt fine and no problems since.

I tell you it was a very loud crack. I'm still confused with it.

Training related, I've only ever just aggrevated a continuing back problem, put a spasm in mid back on my right doin high rep cleans one night. Took 2 weeks, one to first to get rid of the spasm, the other to eat more.

Broke my pelvis when i was 17 playing softball, worst injusry to date.