• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting Chains

ink81

Have been looking to incorporate chains into my routine for some time now, guess I've just been too slack, and been looking around for cheaper ways of making a set. Found these on Ebay. Does anyone think they can be made for cheaper than this? I've been to a few hardware stores and none of them sell chains big enough for what I want.

20kg Chain SET With Loop Chain Power Lifting Strongman | eBay

Have been looking to incorporate chains into my routine for some time now, guess I've just been too slack, and been looking around for cheaper ways of making a set. Found these on Ebay. Does anyone think they can be made for cheaper than this? I've been to a few hardware stores and none of them sell chains big enough for what I want.

20kg Chain SET With Loop Chain Power Lifting Strongman | eBay

See if a hardware store will order it in for you. Some will.

Locksmiths usually have heavy chain. Not sure on the price.

Or find someone involved in a trucking transport company.

didn't even think of that, might drop into some boat shops tomorrow and check out their anchor chain. Cheers.

[youtube]ed9-M0D4Vbg[/youtube]

As you lower the bar towards the ground, the chains pile up on the ground and reduce the weight on the bar. As you press the bar the chain progressively adds weight. Can help with sticking points and lockouts. Seen them used on deadlifts and squats also.

yes xD
but I'm asking you how you're going to be using them, what percentages you'll be using on the bar and what percentage in chains etc

yes xD
but I'm asking you how you're going to be using them, what percentages you'll be using on the bar and what percentage in chains etc

I'm not real big on working with percentages and exact numbers week to week. I listen to my body, and how i'm feeling that day, but i'll probably only use them every second week on my dynamic bench day. Before my injury I was incorporating bands every second week which are pretty similar to the chains. Maybe some weeks even just 60kg with bands + chains. I got good progression last time using bands, so hoping to do the same.

Until I get the chains and figure out what weight they are going to be (normal seems to be 5 foot chains roughly 10kg each) and test them with different weights on the bar, i'll work out a routine from there.

Will be probably something like work up to 100kg no chains, add 1 set of chains a side for reps, another set of chains a side for reps, bump up to 120kg with 1 set of chains, next set 2 chains etc. Nothing less than 3-5 reps.

I don't bench anywhere near as much as you but I think as a raw lifter you're probably best staying away from the equipped methods and using more of a Fred Hatfield approach

Most of the research, which I can post if you wish but it's a bit boring and you need to pay for, shows that a power exercise followed by a limit weight exercise markedly increases strength. Fred Hatfield did this with his CAT training. CAT is a bit hard to do with straight weight as your body puts the breaks on as you near lock out. You can use the chains for this though and to lesser extent the bands. Fred Hatfield would use 70-80% and adding 10-15% extra as chains would get the desired effect. Obviously this is strength training so you'd do a few sets of 2-3 reps- it would look a lot like Sheiko. Then you could follow it up with a few straight weight maxes

This is just what Zatsiorsky/Tuchscherer/Hatfield would suggest, I don't see 60kg plus a load of chains for a few sets of 3 doing anything really. I've been doing this for my deadlift recently but with just straight weight (as you can attempt to clean a deadlift) and the results have been pretty good.

Seriously buying chains from a boat shop would be far more expensive than Bunnings or the like, or you could try to get them for free ;)

got any vids of your 195kg bench Ink?

Wish I did, it was a spare of the moment thing on the day, I wasn't suppose to Max for another 2 weeks so i didn't have the phone with me. I took a cracked at 200 and just missed the lockout by a smidgen, so dropped back and hit 195. Then the week I was planning on maxing was when I hurt myself :(. The Spoto program really took a toll on me when I got to 5 sets of 182.5 triples. That plus heavy weighted dips. Although I'm back on the horse now and plan on getting back to 200 hopefully by the end of the year. I'll make sure to take my phone with me from now on :)

Thanks for the info Oni, I agree with you on using 70-80% than adding resistance, this is what I've always done, the low weight with bands and chains was something I'd seen on one of Mark Bells vids a while ago and was interested in giving it a go.

@Shrek, I've got a friend who runs a local boat shop so hopefully can get a decent price....

Sent you a good book over PM man
Link to the Spoto program? Should be interesting

I bought the chains in the OP from CyberMarket. I reckon I have used them more for other exercises than for Squat/bench.