• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Prepare your rage

I rage more at people call them overhead presses. Its just a press. Its not an overhead press, shoulder press, military press, standing press. Its just a press.

Grab barbell, press the fucking thing.

haha shoulder press makes me laugh
how do you press without the shoulders?
inb4 leg press, we all know that's gay

I rage more at people call them overhead presses. Its just a press. Its not an overhead press, shoulder press, military press, standing press. Its just a press.

So if you were explaining an exercise to someone how would you describe a bench press compared to a standing press?
They're just descriptive names given to different types of presses, if you're standing and pressing the weight up it makes sense then to call it what it is, a standing/overhead press, same with bench press etc.

^ exactly
Press could mean anything from strict overhead press, push press, seated press, press up (as they say in Britain), incline press, horizontal/ flat press, decline press etc etc etc

As far as the article goes the first point about muscle activation I didn't pay much attention to however his point about shoulder mobility, impingement etc is scientifically correct, particularly if the hands are pronated (a reason I will likely never do straight bar overhead work again). Joe DeFranco is anti overhead pressing for most athletes unless they have sufficient shoulder and thoracic mobility. Few other S&C guys around that have the same school of thought too
I'm on the fence a bit because I haven't personally seen enough cases to make a judgement but I'm leaning towards 'people with internally rotated (or hunched) shoulders should avoid overhead pressing, particularly with a pronated grip until their posture is improved'

This does raise the argument of whether or not pull ups will cause the same shoulder problems (again, my experiences with a wider grip especially, seem to suggest that shoulder immobility makes all overhead pushing and pulling potentially a dangerous activity)

But if the technique is good then this shouldn't be an issue? Its like saying deadlifts are bad for your back, only if you don't do it properly..

But if the technique is good then this shouldn't be an issue? Its like saying deadlifts are bad for your back, only if you don't do it properly..

If you place your arms directly in front of your body and then lift you will at some point feel a resistance in the shoulder, you will notice the same when the arms are at the side.
Somewhere in between is the best place.

This relates both to pulling and pushing and the structure of the shoulder joint.

Some get away with it, most don't.

You will notice a lot of pressing is done with a log and mostly with older trainers look at the arm and hand placement

A press is a press, it's a *press if you're trying to distinguish it from something else

Regarding mobility and technique, this is true of any exercise

You think no one has damaged their back deadlifting with great technique? There is a risk with all exercises it is just lessened when good techniques is used.

Didn't bother reading the whole thing, no point. I love military press, is my all time favourite lift and i'm not going to stop it because some guy jumps on the internet having a cry about it.

I'v been doing it 2 times a week (sometimes more) for the last 2.25 years, without any problems. Feels great.

Some people seem to get torn up from overhead presses, then cry about it. Same thing happens countless times on bench press with shoulders, I know more people who've hurt themselfs on bench then military press.

Same as squats, countless injuries, same as deadlifts.

There is a difference as far as I have been told...

Quick Run Down

Standing Overhead/Shoulder Press: Unrack the weight, stand with the weight, press it over head locking the elbows out, without any leg drive.

Seated Overhead/Shoulder Press: Same as above, just instead of standing you do it seated.

Push Press: Similar to Standing Overhead Press/Shoulder Press, however use leg drive to help press the weight. Idea is overload/work the out strength/triceps.

Military Press - This is the strictest and hardest of the overhead movements, very similar to overhead/shoulder press, however you HAVE to use a closer foot stance, heels touching. No wide stance, or staggered foot stance like you can use in the overhead/shoulder press. This makes it harder on your core and is the correct way to military press.

Seated Military Press - No such thing, military press means standing NOT seated.

Clean & Press - Old school Olympic lift, means clean the weight up from the ground, then press it overhead without any leg drive.

Standing Behind Neck Press - Start with the barbell behind your neck, press it up until elbows locked.

Seated Behind Neck Press- Same as above, just seated. These are the ones that aren't safe for your shoulders.

Then you have jerks etc, but they aren't anything like a press.

Only small differences, hence all the difference names. That is a basic run down from what information I have read over the years.

Last edited:
To the above, I wouldn't be locking out the elbows on any pressing movement, especially overhead presses.

Isn't that an old school BB thing to not lock certain lifts out?

Yes, it keeps the tension on the target muscles, but I feel that is not what he was on about... "especially on overhead presses" implies that he is on about some sort of safety reason

I'd like to hear why?

I'm talking about targeting the muscle being worked, time under tension and reducing the stress on the joints, it may be a requirement in certain sports which is fair enough but I don't think there is any benefit in bodybuilding by locking out.

Its an interesting article, and I can see why SOHPs may be bothersome to some, but I must say that I have never ever had any sort of joint pain when doing them. The only pain I get is doms in my abs/obliques and front/side delts/upper traps. I also don't do them for the best developer of deltoids muscle, I do them as a whole body way of working the delts, in other words I do them standing so I have to maintain tension all over my body whilst working my shoulders. It makes for a great full body compound movement that targets the delts with a better bang for your buck than any other full body way of targeting the delts. If I was doing an isolation exercise to target the side OR front OR rear delts, than I would do lateral raises. But I don't put them in the same bag of exercises as far as I am concerned.

Last edited: