• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

price check on used weight plates

bert.

just wondering if you guys would give me a rough idea on what price one should be looking to pay for used weights Olympic size and no name branded? is there a rough price per kg there worth? or say a 20kg plate = $$ just looking for some ball park figures

I'd buy second hand plates for under $1.50kg, cheaper pricethe better and as long as they aint rubbish, ie chunks missing, bent inners, cracks etc.

$3.00 per kilo is about the cheapest Olympic sized plates come up for sale in Canberra, I was lucky to get 70kg of no name bumpers, and another 40kg smaller plates with a cheapo barbell and bench for $120 but since then no other bargains have come up :(

seems to always be heaps of stuff for sale in BNE and MEL...

maybe because they are quitters :D heh heh

thanks guys not much seems to come up anywhere close to home in regional vic. at least now I've got a rough idea on what there worth. I imagine that freight/shipping would be a bit dear for a private sale?

Hi Bert,

Prices for used plates tend to be all over the place - bulk lots tend to be cheaper per kg, but are rare in olympic sizes. It often just comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

How far from Melbourne are you, and how regional? Delivery costs can be ok to major regional centres (Ballarat, Bendigo etc), particularly if you have delivery made to depots rather than to your door. But packaging used equipment for delivery can be a killer though.

Your other option would be to drive to Melbourne and pick-up stuff. We often have people make a day trip to Melbourne and pick up orders on their way home. Can work out cheaper than delivery.

Hi Bert,

Prices for used plates tend to be all over the place - bulk lots tend to be cheaper per kg, but are rare in olympic sizes. It often just comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

How far from Melbourne are you, and how regional? Delivery costs can be ok to major regional centres (Ballarat, Bendigo etc), particularly if you have delivery made to depots rather than to your door. But packaging used equipment for delivery can be a killer though.

Your other option would be to drive to Melbourne and pick-up stuff. We often have people make a day trip to Melbourne and pick up orders on their way home. Can work out cheaper than delivery.

thanks i'm actually looking at some on e bay but I don't want to pay to much. because when I pull my finger out and get my tax done I think i'll be heading down to maybe you guys for a power rack package oh and i'm in euroa about 2hrs north of melb

some on here for under $2/kg
http://ausbb.com/buy-sell-trade/23761-wollongong-115kg-olympic-plates.html

new is around $3+, but there is nothing wrong with old plates... $2-3?

I actually sold these plates through eBay for $146.50.

So thats 115kg @ $146.50 = $1.30/kg. I sold them for 2 reasons, I wanted handles (holes in plates to pick up easy) and accurate plates. These plates were flat, and some were out by a little - as almost all plates are.

I bought brand new hammertone plates, with 3 handle holes AND I brought scales to the shop when I bought them to weigh each plate for accuracy. I paid $2.80/kg for the new plates, thats with some negotiation.

Some people don't care about inaccurate plates, but I do. Not so much that a 20kg plate weighs 20.0kgs exactly... more that I have a matching set, so if they are 20.1kg, they are ALL 20.1kg, as luck has it, I found plates that were 20.0kg. As I weighed the plates, 20kg plates varied from 19.6kg-20.4kg.
I bought 4 x 5kg plates, all weigh 5.2kg, but it was the only matching set of 4 I could find out of like 20 plates in the store.

Hi Bert,

I see your 1.25kg plate is only $1.00 on sale (80c/kg!!!). I don't imagine they are that price per kg for all iron plates? I cant see larger sizes listed on your site.

1.25kg Olympic hammertone plates | Little Bloke Fitness

I managed to pick up 2x20 kg Australian Barbell Co. rubber coated oly plates today for $1 per kilo. The bargains are out there, they just don't come up all that often.

I'm too impatient with waiting, however zi do sit on a new purchase for a while to decide if I really need it or not!

Definite bargains, just been doing a price comparison between Littlebloke fitness and Amazon.com, LBF is way cheaper.

Theres a guy in Nowra selling a ton of stuff for 1.50 per kg. Gunna go check it out this weekend.

Tim.