• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Program / Diet Help Needed please :)

Morgan

Sorry guys, I know these threads pop up every 2nd day but I'm really after some honest opinions.

I've been on a 3 day split program for the last 10 weeks, have stuck to it to the letter and have made gains I'm happy with so far considering it included a lot of isolation exercises.

The plan is to bulk up big time, so the isolation exercises have to go, in come the compounds :cool:

What do you guys think of this routine!

Squats, deadlifts, chin ups, BB Bent over row, Bench Press, Weighted dips, Military press and upright row. All 3x8 reps done 3x per week.

The plan is to bulk, I eat the EXACT same thing every day except dinner is different each night, I tallied it up before and I am getting 3600-3800 calories per day which broken down works out to be 330g protein, 310g carbs and 80g fats, should I eat more to bulk or does that seem alright?

Thanks heaps guys/gals.

With your lifts and size, I'm not sure why you're asking us for advice. You seem to be on the right track already. But hey, you asked our opinion, so... here it is!

I think that eight exercises is a bit much in one session, even with just three sets. Three is more realistic unless you have an instructor pushing you, or you have remarkable self-discipline. Even then, five is about right, not eight.

In each workout, have one pull from the ground (back and legs), one press (chest and shoulders), and one deep knee bend (legs and back). So you could have two workouts, taking exercises from your list,

Squats, BB Bent over row, Military press
or
deadlifts, chin ups, Bench Press​

and alternate them.

And in each session, add one exercise for whatever you feel is a weakness, for example you might add your weighted dips or rows you mentioned. Looking at your lifts, BB bent over row and deadlift are low compared to bench and squat. You should have equal or greater back strength to chest, and dead more than you squat. Still heaps more than me, though, so what do I know? :D

For each, 5 sets of 5 will definitely build strength, and built size for Reg Park and all those guys; but many prefer higher reps, 8-12. 2 warmup and 3 work sets.

As to your diet - 3,700 kcal seems low for bulking, I am 40kg less than you and eating 3,000 kcal as a minimum - but all you can do is try it. If you get bigger, it's enough. If you don't, it's not. Markos jokes that if you still enjoy eating, you are not eating enough. I've been trying to bulk a bit recently, and with a regular breakfast at 0730, regular lunch-sized meal at 1030 and 1230, snack at 1500, workout drink at 1600 and 1700, dinner at 1800 and snack at 2200, I'm starting to see why he says that. I just hope it's not all fat ;)

Last edited: