• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Quitting Smoking

Morgan

I've made the decision to quit smoking at the end of the month, I can't be serious about gym/diet and still pump 25 smokes into my system a day.

My question, should I expect an improvement in my lifts afterwards? ie - improved lung capacity = more oxygen = more strength etc?

i gave smoking a couple of years ago , first step is to give up now don't say i will quit on this date just do it

it will take some time for your capicity to get back but you will see some great inprovements in your lungs meaning more oxygen in your blood stream

Ive been quiting smoking since I was 28, I started wen I was 12.
Its been rough and Ive tried almost everything to quit. Patches 3 times, hipnotisim, cold turkey a few times, havent tried accupucher, not gonna either.
I wanted to quit at that time becos I started lifting at that age and I wanted to quit for the same reason as yourself.
I found my workouts to be more fruit full immediatly, especially with in the extra nervious energy I had in the first few days.
After a while blood preasure and energy levels return to a normal healthy level. I found I could do more and lift heavier and do far more reps.

But as you may already know its all about breaking habits, I just learnt that wen I craved a smoke to delay having one and letting the moment or moments pass. thus breaking the cycle of habit. (even if you have a smoke after the feeling passes, your still breaking habit.
Everyday was hard for the first 3-4 weeks but each day was a little less tromatic then the last.
For me now its just a matter of staying away from wanting to smoke if I have a drink.
So I simply dont drink or try not too.

Good on ya my man and I hope you quit for good it will be the best thing you ever do.

Never smoked myself, but Mum did. After years of trying gave hypnotherapy a go and it worked. She found pretty quickly that she was able to breathe easier and didn't fatigue as quickly during workout, presumably due to improved circulation. The best part is my mum doesn't smell like a smoker anymore!

I smoked but not heavily for a couple of years. I just gave up, had a week or so of feeling crap but then was okay. Within a month my fitness increased quite a lot, from memory I went from a 19'00" 5km run to a 17'45" run, and I just generally recovered from things more quickly.

Other heavy smokers I've known with 1+ packs daily for 5+ years had about two months of coughing up crap. Your body takes the opportunity to get all the accumulated gunk out of your system.

For example a cardio bunny at PT school used to run 10km/hr for two hours on the treadmill, but she also used to smoke two packs a day... for twenty years. She gave up a couple of weeks ago and now can only manage 8.5km/hr for an hour.

But in a couple of months she'll be fitter than ever before.

i found the distinct advantage was having more cash in my pocket , i was amazed how much i was saving

I did the late teenage years smoking peer pressure thing but gave it away at 19 and a bit.Did it cold turkey and after the first few days being a bit edgy I felt a billion times better.The frequent winter colds disappeared,food tasted better,I realized how much smokers and everything around them stinks.
As for fitness,I was going through a very bad stage lifestyle wise and gave up a lot of bad habits so it was hard to notice effects only from smoking but I am sure there were many.

I quit 4 years ago after 8 years of smoking a pack a day or more. At first I noticed an improvement in my aerobic fitness and my ability to recover after exercise. After about a month, this deteriorated as I started to cough up the rubbish I had accumulated in my lungs for so long. I saw the doctor and she said it was fairly common and that this is the point when a lot of people get back on the cigarettes because they don't see an immediate improvement. For me, it lasted a good 6-8 months until I started seeing a lot of improvement. Now my fitness levels are higher than they ever where when I smoked.

Hope this helps. Also, if you find quitting difficult I can recommend Zyban. My mother, father, myself and a good friend have all quit using this drug. It was amazing and is on the PBS!

This is going to sound laughable but I have been smoking for about 7-8 years now and about 2 years ago, I decided (much like now) to quit, I did so cold turkey, the first week or two I was VERY aggressive/edgy etc (as to be expected) but I stuck to it and didn't have a single puff, then 12 months later I had a VERY VERY massive life changing event happen in my life, stress kicked in, BAD! and I gave in and had a smoke and that was that, now, 12 months later, I am 110% back into my training and want to quit for 2 reasons... 1st being to improve my gym performance 2nd for my health lol, thats dedication :)

Last edited:
Not an uncommon story. Mum had given up for two years and my grandfather was dying. Being locked in a house with my grandma and aunt who go through over a pack of Holidays each a day, she figured if she was going to put up with the passive smoking she might as well have the buzz. Took her another two years after that to finally stop.

If not only for yourself do it for your friend`s and family`s sake.I lost my old man a few years back.He was only 57.

Any addiction is hard to kick, good luck Morgan. I've never smoked or had any addiction, so I cant offer you anything.

Patches don't work for some but personally they worked great for me. Haven't had a smoke in more than 3 months now and all thanks to patches. And it wasn't planned either. I had one my cousin had given me to try and one day out of the blue wacked it on and didn't feel like a smoke for most of the day.

Next day went to chemist to buy a pack. Was on them for about 5-6 weeks and wheened myself off them.

Best of luck!

never smoked in my life, i figured i cant afford it so why bother.

i've got a set of mates who smoke a butt load, everytime i hang out with them i come home smelling like smoke so i have to air out my clothes.