• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rack or rig - confused

M

milbot

Please forgive my ignorance, am quite new to equipment for use at home. My local gym is all machines and smith machines as its an unattended gym, hence my question, as I've cancelled my membership to work from home with better (read: free weights) equipment.

Anyway, newbie alert aside, I'm struggling to understand the differences between racks and rigs, and which would benefit me the most.

I'm looking for something fairly versatile as space is limited in my garage, and was thinking of something that would allow me to squat, bench, dip and chin-up safely (read: no spotter) would be great. Both types will fit, but I dont have room for both at the same time, for example.

What are the main differences (pros/cons) between a cage rack and a rig?

For example, how would you chose between the two following options

1. SPX Rack – Aussie Strength | Aussie Strength Equipment + Dip bar attachment | Aussie Strength Equipment

2. Premium Power Rack Cage with Chin Up Bar

These may not be good examples of each, due to a difference in construction and strength, but hopefully you'll understand my question. Its not a comparison of the two for purchase, but a comparison of the two "technologies".

Thanks, and sorry if this is a real simple and dumb question.

PS - I am not affiliated with either business, just links I've found on here and google.

Mate, I don't know the difference between a rack and a rig either.

However, any rack that only weighs 80kg is probably not going to be that sturdy....

I have the SPX rack from aussie strength and it's pretty tough. I didn't get the dip handles so I can't comment on them, I am getting some cheap olympic rings for dips.

If you read this thread you can read my review of my initial thoughts about the rack, and a link to what appears to be the same rack, but for a cheaper price.

http://ausbb.com/workout-equipment/23588-force-usa-cross-fit-style-half-rack.html

The other power rack looks like garbage to me, I would look at some others around the $800-$1000 range if if you want to do a proper comparison

I have the SPX rack from aussie strength and it's pretty tough. I didn't get the dip handles so I can't comment on them, I am getting some cheap olympic rings for dips.

If you read this thread you can read my review of my initial thoughts about the rack, and a link to what appears to be the same rack, but for a cheaper price.

http://ausbb.com/workout-equipment/23588-force-usa-cross-fit-style-half-rack.html

The other power rack looks like garbage to me, I would look at some others around the $800-$1000 range if if you want to do a proper comparison

Another $10 cheaper here - Warrior Squat Rack Commercial Squat Rack for Sale : Warrior Equipment :: Strength and Conditioning Equipment for the Warrior, Delivering Training Steel to Australian Warriors

Thanks, didn't think of rings instead of dip bar.

So fundamentally, is the difference between the cage style and the SPX style just one of looks and space? They both seem to do the same thing... am I missing anything?

I'd hate to go down the "SPX" rig-style route and then in 6 months time wish I'd gotten a full cage - living on a tight budget and all.

Yeah, it really depends on your requirements and limitations. The crossfit style half rack was the only thing that was going to suit my space well, in most other situations I reckon a good solid power rack is the way to go.

I should probably say that after a month of traning with the spx rack the only think I wish I had was proper plate storage (forceusa/muscle motion commercial models, or sorinex dark horse) or band pegs on the bottom. everything else is just as good as a proper power rack to my mind.