• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ratio of ureagenesis (piss) and gluconeogenesis (sugar) after excess protein intake.

rolls

Lets say you are smashing lots of processed protein shakes (whey) every day, way more than you need for example.

What is the ratio of this protein that is converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis) and that is pissed out (ureagenesis)? I'm guessing it is a dynamic ratio also as urea can be converted back to amino acids as well if needed. My reason for asking is I am curious how much of a protein shake is essentially converted to sugar (Glucose) if you already have sufficient protein intake.

I realise of course than all of these conversions are energy expensive so you would not get 1:1 ratio of glucose : protein so even if the majority of it is converted to glucose, you are still better off chugging shakes than soda.

Anyone?

Cheers.

edit: article discusses some of these items Protein turnover, ureagenesis and gluco... [Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

HAH

I don't even use protein shakes as I just don't train/diet seriously enough to warrant them, this is purely a self interest thread, it is like when a kid asks why is the sky blue? I just want to satisfy my curiosity! If you don't want to though that's cool. :)

I see.

The problem is I think this question will take a whole book to answer, but you never know your luck in a body building forum:)

I am replying to let you know that you are not likely to get an answer to this, as it is a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

How would anyone know without doing a five year study on thousands of individuals?? And then every person would be different, so possibly there is no answer for your question that can ever be conclusive and correct.

As long as you have it in the magical 30 minutes post workout window.. it doesn't matter how much you have, it all gets absorbed cause big bro told me ;p

Last edited:
Well how can you expect an answer to a question that has no conclusive answer and then sulk because it did not get answered:confused:

Obviously it is dynamic and ever changing based on conditions in the body, I am interested in what effects this ratio, discussion on it etc.

It might always be favoured to one direction, just because you don't know doesn't mean it isn't worth asking.

Seriously though, does anyone have any knowledge on this matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
5Ewk4RH.jpg