• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Recent Internet Drama

0ni

Registered Rustler
As the registered rustler here on AusBB it is my duty to fill you in on the current e-drama in the powerlifting world. The current drama is between Mike Tushcherer, Westside and Chad Wesley Smith. The topic is speed

First Mike T. wrote this article
Why Speed Work Doesn't Work - Juggernaut Training Systems - Juggernaut Training Systems

This is how CWS responded
Lots of discussions... | Facebook

How Brandon Lilly responded
http://facebook.com/brandonlilly3/posts/10200168679673265

Jim Wendler and Paul Carter
Mike Tuchscherer -... | Facebook

And the butthurt train of Westside lifters
So I guess Louie... | Facebook

And then to make everyone even most buttdevastated, CWS wrote this article about how geared lifting is a joke
The Bench Shirt Is Being Pulled Over Your Eyes - Juggernaut Training Systems - Juggernaut Training Systems

And responses, some of the previous pages I linked have responses to it too
Here is a quote... | Facebook

Paul Carter
"there is a reason... | Facebook
(Read Alva's comments- they are the best)

I swear Laura Phelps is always "at that time of month" because every blow up I've seen has been from one of her posts
She even had a go at Lilly because he said that while he was grateful for what he learned at Westside, he didn't want to train that way anymore lol

Still Westside for life

Nathan Baxter told me at a seminar that speed work doesnt work. It's funny how the natural lifters (PA guys) have one opinion and the drugged lifters (westside) have another.

Perhaps there's a correlation there and speed work doesnt work for natural guys is the correct title of that article?

>Mike T (arguably the best true natural raw lifter at the moment) wrote an article explaining why speed work is silly for the raw lifter
>Bunch of Westside lifters got uber butthurt and claim that they are all stronger without gear than the best raw lifter despite no-one from Westside or that has used Westside principles has ever held an all time raw world record (with the exception of Phil Harrington who despite being a beast and awesome all round squats high) [http://youtu.be/YVQL5x_grkc]
>Remember when I posted that speed work was stupid and people here got butt devastated?
>Chad Wesley Smith posts another article mocking equipped lifting
>butthurt all round
>Paul Carter does his usual trick of waiting until the big guns have fought it out then going around kicking people in the nuts complaining about how he has parroted/said this shit for 50 years now

Nathan Baxter told me at a seminar that speed work doesnt work. It's funny how the natural lifters (PA guys) have one opinion and the drugged lifters (westside) have another.

Perhaps there's a correlation there and speed work doesnt work for natural guys is the correct title of that article?

I don't think it's drugged vs undrugged.
Just Westside vs the world

Take a look at Sheiko's 6 day single ply lifters for example.

Speed work sounds like one of those fancy gay names you give something as a means to lift something lighter for reps and make it sound like its important....

Not that my results mean anything but I never got stronger from speed work. Gave up on it a long time ago.

The funniest part is Mike T never bagged Westside. He didn't even really argue speed work doesn't work. He just said it doesn't work for the reason some claims it does, ie the idea of it developing speed, and there are more efficient ways of training if you are a powerlifter, because powerlifting is about force production, not power.

I think speed work often works well for novice/intermediate lifters, simply because even IF there is no real physiological training effect, the result is technique development through lots of extra reps. Advanced lifters I have no clue because I'm not there.

Personally I do 'speed work', but more in the range of 70-85%. The weight is moving fairly fast, but heavy enough to feel like I'm actually getting work in. Lower %s just feel I'm doing nothing...of course with chains and bands it could be a different story.

What is the purpose of speed work?

It just seems odd to me.
When you are lifting for reps, and this can be any exercise, let's for example use the bicep curl.

You are using say 40kg and you know that with this weight you can rep 11, your eleventh is the last rep you can do without swinging and controlled.

The first rep, you can move it reasonably fast, in fact very fast, the second rep you can still move very fast, the third becomes a little harder to move at the same speed, by the time you have got to the ninth rep the speed of movement has become quite slow but the effort you are applying is more.
You've completed the 11th and attempting the 12th, your intensity of work is now at 100% you're midway and your muscle is fatigued to a point where you can't move it and you halt the set.

Is this improving your speed as well as your strength?
Is strength an element of speed?
Is speed ultimately determined by genetics?

Ive never benefited from speed work. I used to do a speed set to deload off a heavy set, but now prefer to do a "fast" set in warm up.