• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Recommendations for garage gym

A

azz33

Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting a garage gym, with a budget of about $2000. I've had a look at many of the posts on here and want to get some input on what you would get on this budget. This is what I'm looking at getting:
- power rack - have been looking at the LC2 one from cyberfit or the force usa one - I like these racks, they both seem like good value and come with band pegs, and I think they both come with a dip attachment standard as well. Any input on these racks or suggestions of other racks would be great too.
- adjustable bench - would probably just get this in a package deal with whatever rack I get.
- good barbell - thinking the ABC power bar
- at least 220kg of weight plates to start - where from, I'm not sure..
- adjustable dumbell set (standard plates) - maybe the 120kg set from gym direct?
- if I can afford it, I'd like to get the lat pulldown/low row attachment on the power rack as well

Size of racks and gear is not really a limitation for me, but I will probably be using this stuff training with a mate. I already have 1 adjustable bench and a 1500lb rated bar which will help as well. My maxes are: squat - 220kg, bench - 157.5kg, deadlift - not too sure. Any help or suggestions on what gear you would get for this budget would be great. Cheers

Combo rack
ABC bar
Hart Steel plates.

Thats all Id be getting if I went back to my home gym.

Combo rack
ABC bar
Hart Steel plates.

Thats all Id be getting if I went back to my home gym.

No dumbells? Got a Hart showroom not far from me actually so I might go and have a look at their steel plates and see what price I can get for them.

Force USA rack has chin bar, plus dip attachments.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the LC2 power rack from cyberfit and the force usa power rack both come with them.

Anyone had any experience with the LC2 power rack? Would be interested to see how it goes with the lat pulldown attachment. Doesn't look like there'd be much room at the back of the rack with it in.

No dumbells? Got a Hart showroom not far from me actually so I might go and have a look at their steel plates and see what price I can get for them.

Dumbells will cost you 4k for a set. You said you have a budget of 2k.

If your near Hart, your near my gym in Northgate.

Your more than welcome to pop down and check out my equipment..... It all started as a home gym as is now the best powerlifting gym in Brisbane.

Your more than welcome to pop down and check out my equipment..... It all started as a home gym as is now the best powerlifting gym in Brisbane.

Ok sweet, thanks for that. I was thinking of just getting the 120kg adjustable dumbell set from gym direct I think it's around $350 or something. Have used adjustable dumbells quite a bit and don't mind changing weights between sets.

Yep I'm in Kallangur but i work near the city so Northgate's not far at all. I might come have a look in the next couple of weeks then, that'd be awesome.

Also, Hart will be about $2.60 for steel plates

Great, thanks for that. Not much difference between training with steel vs rubber plates is there? Will probably just put some rubber flooring down in the near future anyway.

1. Use $2k for training fees at PTC Brisbane
2. Save plenty of $$$ cause PTC isn't over priced
3. Train with motivated people under a quality coach
4. See gains
5. Profit!

Everyone seems to want their own garage gym these days. I have my own gear because its 1500-1600kms to the nearest quality coach. Plenty of people in my town claim to be coaches and I've tried them all only to be disappointed time and time again. My advice, if you access to a quality coach like sticky, use him.

1. Use $2k for training fees at PTC Brisbane
2. Save plenty of $$$ cause PTC isn't over priced
3. Train with motivated people under a quality coach
4. See gains
5. Profit!

Everyone seems to want their own garage gym these days. I have my own gear because its 1500-1600kms to the nearest quality coach. Plenty of people in my town claim to be coaches and I've tried them all only to be disappointed time and time again. My advice, if you access to a quality coach like sticky, use him.

If you work long hours, have a mrs and kids, other committments. Noting beats the home gym. Best investment you'll make.

If you work long hours, have a mrs and kids, other committments. Noting beats the home gym. Best investment you'll make.

OP made no mention of any of these..

Sure, if you are time poor, get a home gym. I'd still take the coach over the equipment where possible.

I agree Brick
This is a lifetime investment

I agree with you both.

But, it would be wise also to seek out a quality gym first to confirm whether you really know in yourself you want to make this a lifetime pursuit before you fork out $$$.

The OP didn't mention his status.