• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Recruiting Australian participants for the first ever clinical trial on Muscle Dysmorphia / Bigorexia

Hi everyone,

My name is Jordan Martenstyn and I'm a PhD student at The University of Sydney conducting research on Muscle Dysmorphia (you might've also heard it called Bigorexia or Body Dysmorphia).

I'm posting on this forum to let you know that you may be eligible to participate in the first ever clinical trial for Muscle Dysmorphia, led by researchers from The University of Sydney.

We're running an 8-week online (all via Zoom) group Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) program for adults with Muscle Dysmorphia.
The program is completely free for all participants living in Australia (would normally involve $1,000+ out-of-pocket expenses).

* Please note that you do NOT need a pre-existing diagnosis of Muscle Dysmorphia to participate.

What we know from past research is that people with Muscle Dysmorphia are at greater risk of developing depression, anxiety, OCD, and suicidal ideation. People with Muscle Dysmorphia also report much lower quality-of-life than people from the general population. Despite these risks, there hasn't been a single treatment program developed for people with Muscle Dysmorphia ... For some context, there are 200+ treatment studies published on Anorexia Nervosa.

I've listed below some common (but not all) indicators of Muscle Dysmorphia in case you think you might be eligible for the study:
  • You wish that you were bigger and more muscular, and the fact that you are not as big and muscular as you would like has a major negative impact on your mood.
  • When you go out in public, you worry a lot that people will judge you for being too small.
  • You often wear baggy clothes or refuse to take your shirt off in front of other people to hide your appearance.
  • You check your level of muscularity and leanness in the mirror at least several times per day.
  • You lift weights 4+ times per week and frequently skip social events due to not wanting to miss a workout.
  • You closely track your calorie/macronutrient intake and feel highly anxious if you are unable to meet your protein target on a given day, even if only by a small amount.
All data gathered as part of this study is strictly confidential and will not be shared with any third parties without your consent.

Your eligibility to participate will be clarified via a short assessment interview (with me) on Zoom, which will take around 30-45 minutes.

Please click the below link to learn more if you're interested in participating in the study!

https://sydney.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dgsDTwogY7nwH42

More than happy to answer any questions at all you might have in the comments or via email (jmar5023@uni.sydney.edu.au).

Kind Regards,
Jordan Martenstyn (Psychologist, PhD Student @ The University of Sydney)

P.S. Not my intention for this to be an unwanted spam post. I messaged admin for permission to post but they haven't been active for a few months.