• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
3 seconds at most for each rep for me for bench press; I never worry about go slow either up or down (just controlled).

Depends on the weight. If not very heavy and going for higher reps, I'll use a 2/2 cadence (2 seconds concentric, 2 seconds eccentric) to stay controlled. If using heavier weight, I'll use 1/3 cadence. So more explosive on the contraction and trying to maximise time under tension when lowering/releasing the weight.

less than 30 seconds
Thought I was the only one. Not that I do much 10 rep work but most of the time it wouldn't be anywhere near 60 seconds (let alone 120) unless they were paused reps. Talking working weight here, not warm ups

I bench like I'm supposed to in competition. Probably 1.5-2 seconds descent, pause, then as quick as possible back up. Why would you want to lift weights slowly?

I'm sure we go thru this on a regular basis...what's better for strength or hypertrophy, more weight or more TUT?

Depends on the weight. If not very heavy and going for higher reps, I'll use a 2/2 cadence (2 seconds concentric, 2 seconds eccentric) to stay controlled. If using heavier weight, I'll use 1/3 cadence. So more explosive on the contraction and trying to maximise time under tension when lowering/releasing the weight.

You see, this is where you and I conflict and you never comprehend.

Your comment "Depends on the weight" is a common misconception of exercise.

The weight you use must be heavy enough to force fatigue, to stimulate growth.

The rep ranges one uses will determine the weight on the bar, the number of rep's used will determine the degree of stimulation, but the most common sweet spot for muscle growth is 10 reps.
Based on a controlled speed of 2/4/1
The general idea of 2/4/1 is that;

Moving (positive) 2 seconds from start to finish completely eliminates momentum, this ensures the the muscles are doing 100% of the work
Moving (negative) 4 seconds from start to finish has the same effect plus it enables the muscles worked to safely go into pre-stretch, which is key to strong flexible muscles.
Pausing for one second in the contracted position ensures you have complete control of the weight in your hand throughout the movement also the added benefit of strengthening the muscles much more efficiently.

** pausing (squeezing) is generally used with pulling movements, when pushing or squatting, the paused should short of using the limbs to support the load.

When one say "Depends on the weight", the only thing that's going to change are the amount of reps one can do, which is a good thing because of our fiber make-up (slow and fast twitch)

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Adding really heavy weight and moving faster, in the negative has no benefit what so ever could even cause injury, moving lighter weight and just going through the motion is a waste of time.

Progression is key, using a controlled rep cadence and slowly increasing the two key components of rep number and weight over a period of time is the only way to improve your;
Strength
Flexibility
Muscular mass

Last edited:
I bench like I'm supposed to in competition. Probably 1.5-2 seconds descent, pause, then as quick as possible back up. Why would you want to lift weights slowly?

A typical ignorant statement

Who said anything about that?

You shit me when you go on about what you do in competition.

When you do anything over 7 you are using the heaviest weight possible to move as fast as you can, your first 3 0r 4 rep's are preparing for the last few important rep's.

I'm not talking about ballistic movements, which has no value

I'm sure we go thru this on a regular basis...what's better for strength or hypertrophy, more weight or more TUT?

Both, depending on your fibre type, moving the maximum amount of weight for the TUT that is going to garner maximum results

As we don't know what our fibre types are short of a biopsy we using combinations Of TUT over years.

The common denominator IS MAXIMUM weight on the bar that enables you use a weight that you can control in the TUT, whether that be; 60, 90 or 120 seconds.

Do more reps rather than slower reps?

Question for anyone

What is the difference between 5 reps that take 4 seconds to complete and 10 reps of the same weight that take 2 seconds to complete?

You mean 4 seconds and 2 seconds per rep? or the set

If you are performing a rep with the maximum amount of weight you can handle required to complete the set then the weight on the bar is not enough, more often than not you are just dropping the weight in the negative portion of the movement, your muscles are doing nothing, except bearing a load of unneccessary force at the turnaround

I read TUT as in the muscle is under constant tension, the movement of the limb moving the load is 100% muscle- force of the load is being moved by muscle alone, not by the result of moving fast, where momentum could be the difference, take out the equation completely, move slower rather than faster.

Moving faster is a relative term, if you can do 150kg x 10 in the bench press moving at a cadence of 2/2 you'll get that done in 40 seconds

If you want to move 150 and you want to slow the negative, the muscle is doing more work, plus the benefits of the negative, it hurts more, it makes you feel more uncomfortable, that;s the response we want, most likely you'll do it in less than 30, which is not enough to stimulate growth.

Last edited: