• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rts

Has anyone read the ebook?

I've bought a couple of Ebooks before and I usually find them useless really..

I know the basic of RTS is it worth buying the book or not really?

It's best to buy his DVDs
Costs a bit especially with shipping. Mike is a terrible writer lol but his DVDs make perfect sense

A really good book.

Not a program per se, rather a system that can be applied to almost any training method.

I have just about every ebook/book ever put out it seems and this would be right near the top in terms of strength training ones. Certainly not for beginners or even many experienced lifters though.

Yeah, maybe I'm not experienced enough for the complex side of it, but the basics of it seem easy enough for me to apply..
I kind of did it this morning for my heavier sets and really liked it

Feel free to ask any questions. There seem to be a few here that are familiar with RTS. Andrew and I are both coached by Mike.

I think I get the jist of it, though do u guys use it for all sets or just the heavier sets?
I guess it depends on your program

It seems complicated but if you read the manual he explains it all. You don't start off on the full thing, you add one aspect and do it for a month or until you no longer see progress then add another aspect.

Spritcha you mentioned he has shifted his thinking in some ways. Is there anything in the book that he would do differently in regards to a raw lifter?

I'm looking to give this a shot for the rest of the year (starting once I wrap up things in about 10 weeks).

Sorry to bump the thread but re: shifting idea's since the manual was wrote. I am tempted to look at the system but also tempted to wait for a v2 of the manual in case there is a lot of difference.

sorry for the delay.
The manual is worth getting. It lays down the fundamentals. I mentioned that Mike's thinking has shifted a little just so people are aware of this. He has been increasingly influenced by Russian training- particularly in relation to frequency of training and specificity. There is no v2 of the manual. Get the manual- then read the articles on the website- that pretty much covers it.

In the manual MT says 'RTS is not for beginners. It was designed specifically to take intermediate lifters and bring them through to an advanced stage of training.' Would RTS be suitable for me at 109kg with a 125kg paused bench?

Looking at the strength standards link on this site, it says for a guy below 110kg (I'm 109) an intermediate bench press is 106kg (advanced is 143kg, elite is 180kg). I'm not sure if these standards are universal, and Mike T had them in mind, but it seems I'm 'intermediate'.

I haven't read the whole book yet. I'm fairly happy with the program I'm doing now which is PPP + assistance, but I'm always interested in optimisation. My other lifts are lagging cause of an injury but I'm hoping I'll bring them up soon, I think I'm naturally good at deadlifting so it shouldn't take long.

joe. You'll see Mike T explain this in various places but don't think of RTS as a program but a scope of a rifle: a tool that allows you to auto-regulate your training, however that looks. You can put an RTS scope on a Sheiko rifle, or a periodisation rifle, or a Westside rifle.

The example template in RTS is a 4 day a week template. I reckon this might be a bit overkill for beginner-intermediate lifters - something to work up when you increase work capacity. There's no reason to stop at 4 days though. As your work capacity increases you can do 6 days if you want. There are some 3 day a week template that use one less upper body and one less lower body exercise slot. The one I'm doing ends up resembling Sheiko in exercise distribution across the week: Mon: Squat / Bench; Wed: Bench / Deadlift; Friday: Squat / Bench.

If you are doing bench only, you might consider doing 2 full day bench days though, then have other days working on upper back, assistance etc.

my best paused bench was 115kg before doing RTS. After my first 6 week cycle of RTS I had a 7.5kg increase in my paused bench. I'm finishing up my second 6 week cycle this week and will test next week to see how I've gone.

If you understand it there is no reason why you can't implement it.
You will be able to pick out what you need. You add things as you benefit from them. I currently only utilise one RTS principle. One! It's all I need to continue getting results, no reason to add anything else.

Give the Dr. Squat 80 day RTS program a go. It's very simple and just uses two of the main principles. The RPE chart and the fatigue percents. I only use the RPE chart currently, no fatigue percents. I pre-program my volume at the moment and didn't get any extra benefit from regulating it. It's pretty easy to implement though