• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rubber flooring available in Australia

I'm looking for rubber floor tiles (1m sq) to to protect my wooden floor boards from dropped dumbells (and later , perhaps with an extra layer, deadlifts)

all of the major players seem to sell this, who has the best quality available in terms of a firm surface and protection for my floors? (protection forthe floors from a dropped set of 35 kilo or so dumbells is key to start with)

I'll be preparing a 1.5m wide x around 2m long area first (will need to cut sheets probably) and then once i get my rack in the future, i'll be covering a roughly 3.1x3.2 area.

Plywood or chipboard floorring with rubber tiles over the top. 35kg dbs dropped straight onto the rubber will leave dents on floorboards.

My other problem is that i'm totally technically incompetent when it comes to building anything (i struggle with ikea), so i'm looking for minimum construction requirements to save the floor (i don't, for example, own a saw or a drill :)

is the framework beneath neccessary for protection? or would a couple of layers of chipboard do the trick?.

perhaps

15mm rubber, glued to
chipboard glued to
thin rubber backing?

or is that not likely to do the trick?

I'm thinking more of making two platforms for the weights and simply standing on gym flooring style rubber (15mm x 2 maybe?) in the middle.

Plywood or chipboard floorring with rubber tiles over the top. 35kg dbs dropped straight onto the rubber will leave dents on floorboards.

Will

Thin rubber
Plywood
15mm rubber gym flooring

do the trick?

or do i need to build a fancier structure?

perhaps

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products...plywood&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

cut down to 600 wide by 1m long (for my initial platform, my initial dumbell area will be 1.5 wide, thinking i could just place a platform either size for the dumbells?), cut down 2 1m x 1m 15mm mats to 600x1m each and glue to the top, and find and glue thin rubber on the back to prevent floor scratching?

Edit : of course transporting a 2.4m x 1.2 sheet of wood would be interesting.

Last edited:
My other problem is that i'm totally technically incompetent when it comes to building anything (i struggle with ikea), so i'm looking for minimum construction requirements to save the floor (i don't, for example, own a saw or a drill :)

is the framework beneath neccessary for protection? or would a couple of layers of chipboard do the trick?.

perhaps

15mm rubber, glued to
chipboard glued to
thin rubber backing?

or is that not likely to do the trick?

I'm thinking more of making two platforms for the weights and simply standing on gym flooring style rubber (15mm x 2 maybe?) in the middle.

Either way, the frame work just puts some spring into it, so you have an air space between the layers spreading the load over a larger area rather than in one point.

Here are some other options:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDUT2Rhb06Q]Dumbbell Power Hooks - No More Clearing Heavy Dumbbells From The Floor - Demo 1 D/B Bench Press - YouTube[/ame]

This is for the hooks only, the guy has crap technique and the weight is too heavy for him and his ROM is stuffed:cool:

Another:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=448oSYi7jN8]Homemade dumbbell spotting system - YouTube[/ame]

And this is how you are supposed to do it, if this does not work the weights you are using are too heavy for you:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5Nw_QBA9A]Rip - Proper dumbbell racking - YouTube[/ame]

And this is how you are supposed to do it, if this does not work the weights you are using are too heavy for you:
[/url]

Thats generally how i do, however... the problem is, at the end of a 'failure' dumbbell bench, sometimes i don't have the power left to bring them back onto my thighs...

not always or even often, but it only takes once to put a hole in the floor :)

Will

Thin rubber
Plywood
15mm rubber gym flooring

do the trick?

or do i need to build a fancier structure?

perhaps

Plywood Structural Cd 2400X1200mm 12mm - Bunnings Warehouse

cut down to 600 wide by 1m long (for my initial platform, my initial dumbell area will be 1.5 wide, thinking i could just place a platform either size for the dumbells?), cut down 2 1m x 1m 15mm mats to 600x1m each and glue to the top, and find and glue thin rubber on the back to prevent floor scratching?

Edit : of course transporting a 2.4m x 1.2 sheet of wood would be interesting.

To stop the scratching/denting on the floor go the following
1. carpet off cut (go to a carpet shop they usually bin the odd size offcuts)
2. ply or chip board (bunnings will rip the sheets down to a size that suits you) I would use 12mm thick as a minimum, ask for 19mm yellow tounge at bunnings that would prob ber best value for $$$
3. Rubber tiles over the top. Although I would probably just leave the timber but if you like to stand on rubber tiles so be it.

Doesn't need to be fancy just there to stop putting dents in the floor of your rental property.

Nothing wrong with dumping genuinely heavy DB's if you fail.

Last edited:
To stop the scratching/denting on the floor go the following
1. carpet off cut (go to a carpet shop they usually bin the odd size offcuts)
2. ply or chip board (bunnings will rip the sheets down to a size that suits you) I would use 12mm thick as a minimum, ask for 19mm yellow tounge at bunnings that would prob ber best value for $$$
3. Rubber tiles over the top. Although I would probably just leave the timber but if you like to stand on rubber tiles so be it.

Doesn't need to be fancy just there to stop putting dents in the floor of your rental property.

Nothing wrong with dumping genuinely heavy DB's if you fail.

Sounds like a plan... rubber will help with sound etc as well (i have upstairs neighbours and will be working out at night when i miss the gyms closing hours).

might look at making a 1.5m x 2m plywood platform with carpet underneath and rubber on top then for dumbbell training and then look a a better deadlift platform once i've got the space available (use some of my waiting time to build it :)

ok, so the gym is going in the concrete floored garage. I'm still wanting to floor it though, will 15mm rubber do the trick?...

if so, whose, (Samsfitness... most expensive at $55 sqm), Gymdirect ($33/sqm), worldfitness ($26/sqm), kettlebells.com.au ($35/sqm) or are these all basically the same?

Needs to be firm enough to stand on for deads/squats as i'm planning to floor the whole 2.5m by 3.5 m workout area.

Not sure where you are located, but I bought some 1x1mt 15mm Rubber gym tiles for $20 (plus GST) per tile this week from a place in Oakleigh South

I'd be interested in that, thats not far from me!

Edit : Was this FlexiTec flooring?

How firm is the rubber?, ok footing for deads/squats? or do you sink in?

Edit2 : Interestingly they actually sell Stall mats that all the americans say is ideal flooring :)

Last edited:
Mate the Gym Direct mats are awesome, my local gym used them and that's why I bought them for my home gym.

And remember you get 10% discount for being a Ausbb member, just tell them when you ring if you ever buy shit from them/or leave it in the notes section if you just buy over the net

I'd be interested in that, thats not far from me!

Edit : Was this FlexiTec flooring?

How firm is the rubber?, ok footing for deads/squats? or do you sink in?

Edit2 : Interestingly they actually sell Stall mats that all the americans say is ideal flooring :)

Yeah Flexitec, they are normally a fair bit more, but this lot was rejected by the customer because the colour flecks weren't right so they have 700-odd mats they need to get rid of :)
I think they are quite firm (and I weigh nearly 120kg), you definitely don't sink in. My regular gym also uses the same tiles on a lot of their floor space.