• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Seven hours the magic number for sleep

Average 8 hours most nights. Varies on some nights if I don't get to hit the gym until later than normal (usually get there about 7:30pm) and some morning's get up hour or so earlier for morning cardio session, or if I ride my push bike to work.

I average between 7 - 7 1/2 hours, sleep by 9:30-10, up at 5am for work, really only wake up sometimes once to piss and thats it. Feel good most days, although might have a quick 5 min powernap in the truck if feeling tired around lunchtime, it does wonders. Its usually on weekends when I have had an extra hour or so sleep that I feel like crap during the day. The missus used to get heaps more sleep and was always tired. As stated before, the fitness levels, daily activities and such of the participants would be nice to know.

Be wary of anything the media prints about a study. I read the actual articles and find usually there is a significant difference between the journal article(study) and the media article. I wrote a HD essay on this in relation to the controversy over cannabis (which is very topical).

I have not looked at this sleep one yet. There are so many studies into sleep...

Lol you and your cannabis haha...

I know its a common theme. Don't judge me. Its the most hot media health topic these days and therefore easy fodder for uni.

I also dealt with it professionally for the last 8 years.

I am the most neutral person about this but the studies are so biased its crazy...

BTW in case it wasn't obvious what I do IRL - I definitely do not partake in cannabis ingestion. The only way I'd be interested is for medical reasons if it was legal.

But I do see why you see a common theme....

I just want to know why it turns people into slow dimwitted morons..

Which came first - the chicken or the egg?

Also there is no proof either way against or for the self medication hypothesis, nor is there a different type of schizophrenia for cannabis users as opposed to non users, despite recent media reports (stating whatever they want) and the numerous studies. I always try for a non biased view.

Last edited:
The only times i feel rested are if i sleep from 8.5 - 10 hours and I have been eating right and drinking loads of water. Not only that if i sleep when its dark it seems to be worth 2x the quality of sleep as when its light. For some reason when I am around people I find it hard to sleep. The best sleep I get is when I am basically alone for like 3 days strait on that second or third day my energy returns to what i think passes for normal for me. The rest of the time im walking around in a haze. Blurry viion, headaches, physical weakness, depression, anxiety, fatigue, shaking, twitching etc etc...

Which came first - the chicken or the egg?

Also there is no proof either way against or for the self medication hypothesis, nor is there a different type of schizophrenia for cannabis users as opposed to non users, despite recent media reports (stating whatever they want) and the numerous studies. I always try for a non biased view.

I dont know if there is such an animal. All you can do is look at whats out there and make up your own mind. Some studies arn't that great either as they have been designed to favour certain results or they dont have enough raw data to draw any conclusions. Your right about the media being a bunch of tossers with the morals of a bizzare mix of Hitler and Stalin... im sure i know what i meant... maybe.

Last year I was getting from 4-6 hours a night and honestly I still feel like Iam recovering from it.

10 hours sleep on weekdays? Who has that much time to sleep?
F*%& all the people without kids or full time jobs :)

Although, I get about 7 hours a night, bed at 10.30-11, up at 6am, which is quite good for someone with a baby, but I feel great. More than 8 hours and I feel fuzzy. After heavy deadlifts is the exception. Really feel I need a solid sleep afterwards. I do miss the weekend sleep-ins I used to enjoy as a bachelor uni student.

working night shift at the moment , so i am lucky to get 4-5hours broken sleep ,

The study as far as i can see is based on a questionnaire, all study's like this based on the general population tell sweet fuck all.

The truth at the moment is 50+ % of the population have some type of sleep disorder, the only way to determine heart related risks with sleep hours (or more specifically sleep quality) is to have a sleep study on the people to remove those WITH a sleep disorder from the study, so its a real representation of a "normal nights sleep at x hours"

Without this, they are pissing into the wind.

Slow Wave Sleep, where we spend approx 20% of the total sleep time in, is the sleep stage for repairing the body and releasing growth hormone (as well as others).

Do we even know if these people are getting SWS even? No we don't, so this study is garbage :)

10 hours sleep on weekdays? Who has that much time to sleep?
F*%& all the people without kids or full time jobs :)

Although, I get about 7 hours a night, bed at 10.30-11, up at 6am, which is quite good for someone with a baby, but I feel great. More than 8 hours and I feel fuzzy. After heavy deadlifts is the exception. Really feel I need a solid sleep afterwards. I do miss the weekend sleep-ins I used to enjoy as a bachelor uni student.
Thats good for having a baby mate, I remember when my little fella was still a baby, I couldnt wait to go to work some mornings after only an hours sleep, just to escape the screaming:confused:

i've been sleeping for 7 - 8 hours a day all this week.. guess what, i'm sleep DEPRIVED. I force myself to get up each morning... as in, if there was no alarm, i'd prolly sleep 9 hours.

Just thought I'd chime in. A while back I was chronically tired and slept easily 10+ hours a day. I'd nap throughout it too. Went to the doctors and ran some tests for allergies, etc. Came up with nothing.

Then the next year of Uni I had a class in a really, really large lecture theatre and I sat up the back. I couldn't see a thing. I had to ask the stranger beside me if he could read it before moving forward.

Sure enough, I needed glasses and my tiredness vanished instantly. My sight was fine but apparently at around the 20-25yo mark its common for eye sight to suffer. It was slow enough in its change that I never noticed.

Something to consider for those who are constantly tired.

The study as far as i can see is based on a questionnaire, all study's like this based on the general population tell sweet fuck all.

The truth at the moment is 50+ % of the population have some type of sleep disorder, the only way to determine heart related risks with sleep hours (or more specifically sleep quality) is to have a sleep study on the people to remove those WITH a sleep disorder from the study, so its a real representation of a "normal nights sleep at x hours"

Without this, they are pissing into the wind.

Slow Wave Sleep, where we spend approx 20% of the total sleep time in, is the sleep stage for repairing the body and releasing growth hormone (as well as others).

Do we even know if these people are getting SWS even? No we don't, so this study is garbage :)

Who do you think you are.. some kind of sleep expert guy :D