• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shoulder Overhead Press. To sit or stand?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
When it comes to shoulders, we all agree that shoulder pressing is the way to go. But which do you find hits the shoulders most, seated shoulder press or standing shoulder press? do you prefer dumbbells or barbell? which allows you to use most weight?

Prefer standing so I can lean back a bit. I lack the flexibility to finish behind the head seated without a backrest.

While i am currently doing standing Barbell, i am thinking of changing back to seated as i think i can concentrate on the shoulders more and lift more weight, as opposed to standing where balance and core strength comes into play.

If I wanted to make my whole body work for it, which I don't, I would do standing barbell.. but I want to work my shoulders and I find seated DB the best across the board.

Why do you say its safer?

Both seated and standing varieties are good for the arms and shoulder girdle, the seated version is contrainindicated due to the forces applied.

If you're standing the force of the load applied are dissipated via a staight line through the legs to the floor

If you're sitting the force of the load ends at the hip/lwr back, when you pushing over BW numbers, it becomes tricky.

Thanks [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION];

Was interested as for myself I find it a much more stable platform/base to be pressing when seated and find I can lift maybe 20kg more from the seated position due this more stable base, also it is much easier to have a spotter.

Both seated and standing varieties are good for the arms and shoulder girdle, the seated version is contrainindicated due to the forces applied.

If you're standing the force of the load applied are dissipated via a staight line through the legs to the floor

If you're sitting the force of the load ends at the hip/lwr back, when you pushing over BW numbers, it becomes tricky.

Surely the dissipation of the load through the legs does not counterbalance the risk, that should only arise in a standing press, of leaning too far backwards and causing havoc to the hip/lwr back.

Surely the dissipation of the load through the legs does not counterbalance the risk, that should only arise in a standing press, of leaning too far backwards and causing havoc to the hip/lwr back.

All things being equal and if you are pushing 120kg (seated) over-head, do you think there would be less, more or the same amount of force on the hip/lwr back?

Leaning back as opposed to leaning forward in a standing position is another topic.

Last edited:
When standing, the spine has a greater tendency to go into extreme lordosis - this spells potential disaster for people who lack proper conditioning. When the press was a mainstream oly lift, the incidence of back injury would seem to have been greater.

When you sit and have some back support, then potentially there is more compression on the spine as the bum is nailed to the bench. But it's pure compression without a backward lean and therefore less torque on the vulnerable areas of the spine

When standing, the spine has a greater tendency to go into extreme lordosis - this spells potential disaster for people who lack proper conditioning. When the press was a mainstream oly lift, the incidence of back injury would seem to have been greater.

When you sit and have some back support, then potentially there is more compression on the spine as the bum is nailed to the bench. But it's pure compression without a backward lean and therefore less torque on the vulnerable areas of the spine

This is the point that I was getting at @Silverback - while there may be greater force on the spine while seated, the risk of too much backward lean is more concerning to me.

This is the point that I was getting at @Silverback - while there may be greater force on the spine while seated, the risk of too much backward lean is more concerning to me.

I definitely have too much curve in my back when I'm performing a standing press. Have had a couple of bulged discs in my lower spine which get sore from time to time too. I definitely prefer sitting for press. I can't cheat by leaning back or using other parts of my body to throw the weight up.

That said, my numbers are quite low. Perhaps I'll need to change back to standing when the weight gets heavier. Hopefully by then the squatting and deadlifting strengthens my back enough to keep good form.

No I did not say greater force on the spine.

The force (on the IVD's)will be the same, in seated and standing (on the spine).

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm mererly pointing out the differences.

The other side of the argument is that the torso will recieve no stimulation when seated.
No stimulation, no strength increase.

With the standing press there is slight movement of the torso, there needs to be.

just out of interest, do you guys do a full lock at the top or stop short enough so the tension is still on the shoulders? I'm thinking bodybuilding here, not powerlifting. When I do a full lock out, there is no tension on my shoulders and its all in my triceps so now I stop short so the tension is always on the shoulders. Just wondering what others think.