• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S

Stiffy

Vonfram88 is spot on, stop making excuses and don't buy another pack of smokes, not that hard a task, you actually have to do less.

I agree with [MENTION=12011]vonfram88[/MENTION]; but I think you're being "Big Mick" again. Not that hard a task lol. Nicotine addiction has been rated as one of the higher addictions to quit.

kaz

iLift
It took me a few attempts but I eventually gave up and have been smoke free for over a year. I wasn't a heavy smoker but more of a 4 a day smoker.
Changing your daily routine helps the most because it breaks the cycle of associating certain tasks, times or foods/drink with cigarettes.
For eg, Having your morning coffee at 7am with a smoke outside. Make 7am a different task like cooking breakfast, do a task that involves using your senses like cooking, or walking etc. Avoid going outside for morning tea. Have a list of things to do for when you feel like a cigarette, note any triggers and how to avoid them in the future.
Unless people have been smokers they don't truly understand the vice it creates. There really is a psychological side to smoking.
Set up a 2 wek section on yur calender and cross off the days as they pass smoke free, First 2 weeks is the hardest period!
[MENTION=10910]gmmm1985[/MENTION];

Also, google quitting smoker and read how the body heals as you quit, I found this so positive and geared my progress against it. After 24hrs your blood pressure is returning to normal.

You are best to quit while you are young enough to heal from smokings effects.

Last edited:

kaz

iLift
Go and visit the oncology ward at a hospital. If the skeletal cancer ridden smokers in there aren't enough to scare you off the fags then keep puffing away. One day you too can achieve that outcome.
The images on the packets are enough for that and still don't deter the majority of smokers. Most smokers I know have pretty cigarette holders now. Or you get customers who request they "dont" get certain pictures on their packet at purchase.

gmmm1985

I agree kaz its very hard I'm a pack a day smoker. n be honest them showing the lungs looks just like steak. i also agree that ppl who haven't quit shouldn't be commenting on stuff they haven't experienced.

Clive005

When you light up be repulsed by that smoke and every drag be repulsed and ashamed with what you are you are doing,think about the money you are wasting really make youself consciously hate everything about it, then you will have the motivation to stop. The first day then week will be hard take it as a chalenge and be proud of youself and find somthing to replace it eg reading.

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
When you light up be repulsed by that smoke and every drag be repulsed and ashamed with what you are you are doing,think about the money you are wasting really make youself consciously hate everything about it, then you will have the motivation to stop. The first day then week will be hard take it as a chalenge and be proud of youself and find somthing to replace it eg reading.

Agree apart from the last part…really reading??? That would make me take up smoking..

A guy I worked with stopped smoking by running around the block each time he was about to have a smoke, he lost a crap load of weight, got fit and stopped smoking in no time.

Clive005

Agree apart from the last part…really reading??? That would make me take up smoking..

A guy I worked with stopped smoking by running around the block each time he was about to have a smoke, he lost a crap load of weight, got fit and stopped smoking in no time.
Reading just a example I got a I pad and started riding a bike and lifting weights, And focused on eating well and nutrition I lost 20 kg while I gave up smoking, Its funny the craving only lasts a few minutes so find somthing to keep your mind occupied and it passes untile next time.

El Testicle

Goat that feeling
I agree kaz its very hard I'm a pack a day smoker. n be honest them showing the lungs looks just like steak. i also agree that ppl who haven't quit shouldn't be commenting on stuff they haven't experienced.

Smoking has shown to be one of the hardest addictions to quit.

I guess what some of the other members were trying to say is that there will come a point when your desire to quit + the disdain you have for having failed so many other times will = a successful attempt at quitting.

Take home message = don't give up trying.

It took me a few attempts but I eventually gave up and have been smoke free for over a year. I wasn't a heavy smoker but more of a 4 a day smoker.
Changing your daily routine helps the most because it breaks the cycle of associating certain tasks, times or foods/drink with cigarettes.
For eg, Having your morning coffee at 7am with a smoke outside. Make 7am a different task like cooking breakfast, do a task that involves using your senses like cooking, or walking etc. Avoid going outside for morning tea. Have a list of things to do for when you feel like a cigarette, note any triggers and how to avoid them in the future.
Unless people have been smokers they don't truly understand the vice it creates. There really is a psychological side to smoking.
Set up a 2 wek section on yur calender and cross off the days as they pass smoke free, First 2 weeks is the hardest period!
@gmmm1985 ;

Also, google quitting smoker and read how the body heals as you quit, I found this so positive and geared my progress against it. After 24hrs your blood pressure is returning to normal.

You are best to quit while you are young enough to heal from smokings effects.
Good advice there kaz, and helpful.
For those that say it's simply a choice, it's been documented that addicts have found it easier to stop using heroin than quitting smoking..
Those of you who like a beer, or who like to eat or even softdrinks, try giving that up and see how you go.

vonfram88

Every time I'm overseas, which is quite frequently, I end up smoking those vile Chinese branded darts with the senior management as part of the "bonding process" and Guangxi shenanigans. Sometimes three, maybe four smokes per day with super sweet, super strong Vietnamese style coffee. Confession: sometimes I bumsuck them very convincingly.

After a few weeks at a time of doing that, believe me there is quite a dependency. Cold turkey the minute I get on the plane to come home. I would be ashamed if my kids saw me smoking.

Every time I'm overseas, which is quite frequently, I end up smoking those vile Chinese branded darts with the senior management as part of the "bonding process" and Guangxi shenanigans. Sometimes three, maybe four smokes per day with super sweet, super strong Vietnamese style coffee. Confession: sometimes I bumsuck them very convincingly.

After a few weeks at a time of doing that, believe me there is quite a dependency. Cold turkey the minute I get on the plane to come home. I would be ashamed if my kids saw me smoking.
I tried those clove cigarettes in Bali once, vile stuff

Bazza20

Good advice there kaz, and helpful.
For those that say it's simply a choice, it's been documented that addicts have found it easier to stop using heroin than quitting smoking..
Those of you who like a beer, or who like to eat or even softdrinks, try giving that up and see how you go.

I could give up beer no worries. I did stop drinking soft drink for a while and then decided Its only fucking soft drink so I'll have some if i want. I couldn't give up eating though.

S

Stiffy

First 2 weeks is the hardest period!

while I hate to agree with my ball busting bestie here :D this is very true. It took me a number of attempts but eventually I succeeded and the first 2 weeks are the hardest. But be strong about it for at least 3 months. Develop a health and fitness focus, not just a quitting smoking focus.

Smoking has shown to be one of the hardest addictions to quit.

^this, but it certainly can be done.

gmmm1985

Every time I'm overseas, which is quite frequently, I end up smoking those vile Chinese branded darts with the senior management as part of the "bonding process" and Guangxi shenanigans. Sometimes three, maybe four smokes per day with super sweet, super strong Vietnamese style coffee. IConfession: sometimes I bumsuck them very convincingly.

After a few weeks at a time of doing that, believe me there is quite a dependency. Cold turkey the minute I get on the plane to come home. I would be ashamed if my kids saw me moking.

Hypocritical is all i have say. don't go ppl for trying when your out doing this.

and yet u repeatedly do this. bit hypocritical of u i think. u can go ppl for there effort n u being a giant dick if ur doing this. i think next time u should consider twhat u say before u hi

Headley

BigRed Kunce
As a non-smoker i have NFI what i am saying, but i would think talking about it with someone close would be helpful... tell them when you have the urge to do it etc.

Also having no money would probably help too? Could try opening a new account with a new bank, transfer all your money to it and not get a key card... just go and withdraw the amount of money you need or have someone else in control of it to only give you what you need for a while

bozodos

as a former smoker, it was a gradual process for me, and took several things:

new car that I chose from day 1 not to smoke in (therefore cutting down ~10 a day)

starting going to the gym - I found that if I smoked, I felt wheezy and absolutely shit at the gym, so there was an incentive to not smoke at or around gym time, I also couldn't run without gasping for breath after ~20 steps, for someone aged 25 this was quite scary.

Finally - one night I went out on the piss, smoked a pack and a half in one night, so I had the double whammy of no smokes, and felt like not smoking at all for 3 days, I then used this to kick off not buying another pack and smoking at all. First 3 weeks is the hardest part. This was the third attempt.