• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Someone please evaluate my workout schedule!

jsncrs

Hey guys,

Just finished putting together this workout schedule, and was looking for someone to evaluate it and give me some tips. I've been working out for almost a year. I'm 22 years old, 135 pounds and roughly 5'3. My goal is to gain mass/muscle and get huge. Been getting fairly decent gains, but it's kind of slowed of late.

I'm naturally skinny and have a high matabolism, so no cardio for me! My schedule is a 3 day split, which is about as much as I can fit in due to work/family/friends.

I'm taking Scivation Whey Protein, one straight after workouts and one the day after with lunch. Trying to eat as much as I can, but I don't have a huge appetite.. is there something I can do to substitute for this?

If anyone could tell me what I should take out/add in to my schedule that would be great.

Monday: Back & Triceps

• Weighted wide Grip Pullups 4 x 10
  • Seated Cable Rows 4 x 10
  • Lat Pulldown 4 x 10
  • One Arm Dumbell Row 4 x 10
  • Close Grip Bench Press 4 x 5 (Heaviest weight possible)
  • EZ Bar Skullcrushers 3 x 10 (Medium weight)
  • Cable Tricep Extension 2 x 40 (Light weight)
  • Two Arm Seated Dumbell Ext 2 x 20 (Light weight)
Wednesday: Chest & Biceps

• Weighted Dips 3 x 10
  • Incline Bench Press 4 x 8 (Pushups in between sets)
  • Flat Bench Press 4 x 8 (Pushups in between sets)
  • Cable Crossover 3 x 8
  • Standing Barbell Curl 4 x 5 (Heaviest weight possible)
  • Barbell Preacher Curl 3 x 10 (Medium weight)
  • Seated Dumbbell Curl 3 x 10 (Medium weight)
  • Cable Curl 2 x 40 (Light weight)
Saturday: Legs & Shoulders

• Squats 3 x 10
  • 45 Degree Leg Press 3 x 10
  • Standing Calf Raise 3 x 20
  • Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4 x 8-10
  • Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 x 10
  • Rear Delt Machine 3 x 10
  • Dumbbell Shrugs 3 x 20
  • Abs (Capt. Chair Leg Raise) 3 x 30

do this, or Fadi's program, or something similar:

The Original Starting Strength Novice Program

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Hey guys,

Just finished putting together this workout schedule, and was looking for someone to evaluate it and give me some tips. I've been working out for almost a year. I'm 22 years old, 135 pounds and roughly 5'3. My goal is to gain mass/muscle and get huge. Been getting fairly decent gains, but it's kind of slowed of late.

I'm naturally skinny and have a high matabolism, so no cardio for me! My schedule is a 3 day split, which is about as much as I can fit in due to work/family/friends.

I'm taking Scivation Whey Protein, one straight after workouts and one the day after with lunch. Trying to eat as much as I can, but I don't have a huge appetite.. is there something I can do to substitute for this?

If anyone could tell me what I should take out/add in to my schedule that would be great.
Like the LA and EF, said your workout program is not appropriate for you and totally unnecessary. Get back to basics and do the program LA suggested or something very similar.

You do not have a 'high' metabolism, it has nothing to do with it. You are simply not eating enough calories and not choosing calorie dense food types. For your characteristics, you would not need a massive appetite to consume the required calories. Plus using liquid calories over-comes any appetite issues.

To save confusion, start by consuming 30 calories/per kg of bodyweight and ensure you are meeting minimum essential macronuritent intakes within the caloric intake. Protein 2g/kg and fats 0.8g/kg, the rest can be made up soley of carbohydrates if you wish or a combination of protein, carbs and fats.

jsncrs,

Hope you can get your head around what people are saying here...

If you really want the best results... Then initially a 3x5 or 5x5 basic strength program is the ultimate method for achieving outstanding results...

Google strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength 3x5 and do some research...

At the end of the day you'll probably ignore this not realising what your missing out on...

Seriously dude... Throw this body split work out in the bin for now... Come back to it once you have a maxed out your deadlift, squat, bench press and press...

This body split work out would likely result in a very severe case of fuckarounditis syndrome... And all the bro curling may turn you gay...

Monday: Back & Triceps

• Weighted wide Grip Pullups 4 x 10
  • Seated Cable Rows 4 x 10
  • Lat Pulldown 4 x 10
  • One Arm Dumbell Row 4 x 10
  • Close Grip Bench Press 4 x 5 (Heaviest weight possible)
  • EZ Bar Skullcrushers 3 x 10 (Medium weight)
  • Cable Tricep Extension 2 x 40 (Light weight)
  • Two Arm Seated Dumbell Ext 2 x 20 (Light weight)
Wednesday: Chest & Biceps

• Weighted Dips 3 x 10
  • Incline Bench Press 4 x 8 (Pushups in between sets)
  • Flat Bench Press 4 x 8 (Pushups in between sets)
  • Cable Crossover 3 x 8
  • Standing Barbell Curl 4 x 5 (Heaviest weight possible)
  • Barbell Preacher Curl 3 x 10 (Medium weight)
  • Seated Dumbbell Curl 3 x 10 (Medium weight)
  • Cable Curl 2 x 40 (Light weight)
Saturday: Legs & Shoulders

• Squats 3 x 10
  • 45 Degree Leg Press 3 x 10
  • Standing Calf Raise 3 x 20
  • Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4 x 8-10
  • Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 x 10
  • Rear Delt Machine 3 x 10
  • Dumbbell Shrugs 3 x 20
  • Abs (Capt. Chair Leg Raise) 3 x 30

If your appetite sucks (see this for your reason to be skinny rather than your metabolism being high as Max stated). Try liquid food to help increase your calories if you really need it. Milk and protein powder twice a day will help make your calorie requirements that Max laid out for you and help you with your protein intake.

Good luck.

Cheers everyone, thanks for the feedback. I just assumed that since I had been working out for a year or so, a more complex program would be more beneficial. I hate leaving the gym feeling like I haven't done enough.
I will definitely not ignore any advice given here, so I'm happy to scrap that workout and start fresh. Would anyone be interested in writing me up a program? I've spent hours and hours researching programs, but can't seem to wrap my head around a lot of the terminology.

Mate there is nothing special to it.

3 days per week alternating between workouts.

Workout A - Squats, Bench, Chins - 3/5x5 for all movements

Workout B - Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Front Squats - 3/5x5 as above (3x5 maybe necessary for the front squats due to recovery from previous workouts)

Thanks Max, appreciate your help.
So I'm assuming since there are fewer reps, I should try and lift as heavy weight as possible? And as for the bench, is this just flat bench, or incline/decline, or both?

Lift heavy and you can change your bench or a try dumbbell press I find I get better results from a dumbbell press

What are your current weights lifted on bench,squat,dead lift ??

Last edited:
Thanks Max, appreciate your help.
So I'm assuming since there are fewer reps, I should try and lift as heavy weight as possible? And as for the bench, is this just flat bench, or incline/decline, or both?
No problem. Yes weight should progressively increase each set so to the last 1 or 2 sets are your max for that rep range.

Do flat bench for the bench press movement or at the very tops an extremely low incline (lower than the low incline angle most benches go).

Just did some research on the Starting Strength program. I'm gonna scrap my old program and go with that. I can lift 50kg's doing Squats and the same on the Bench, started at 25 so I've made a bit of progress. I haven't been doing any deadlifts at all, first time I tried them I injured my back, so I just didn't try again :(

The program I'm gonna try:

WORKOUT A
Squats 3 x 5
Bench Press 3 x 5
Deadlift 1 x 5
Weighted Dips 2 x 5 to 8

WORKOUT B
Squats 3 x 5
Press 3 x 5
Power Clean 3 x 5
Weighted Chin Ups 3 x 10

Was just wondering (since I've been training for a while) whether I should up the amount of sets for each exercise, or just leave it the way it is.
Also, one last question: The press exercise.. is that referring to a military press or something similar?

Congratulations!!!!

First thing... Press is standing barbell press...

Go to you tube and look up Mark Rippetoe.... There is instructional videos on there for how he does the Press, Squat, Bench press and Dead lift... This should give you a good place to start..

Your the same as me... I trained using broscience for 9 months and then converted to starting strength program back at the start of October...

One of the hardest things for me was to unlearn all the crap I did before... And to stop myself after the listed excercises...

For the first 3 to 4 weeks I kept adding in excercises like bicep curls and triceps extentions... You can get away with this initially but eventually it will start to hold you back...

As time goes on the weights just continue to go up and so does the intensity...

The key point of 3x5 In my opinion is that you progressively load continuosly.... I suggest starting lighter and putting a LOT OF CONCENTRATION INTO GETTING THE FORM AND TECHNIQUE RIGHT!!!

Anyone who has done it or doing it will know that as the weights continue moving up... So does the need for perfect technique...

ie Deadlifting 200kg with a rounded back would be a recipe for disaster...

This program you have listed can and will give you a lot of strength...

And don't worry about your arms...

The Bench Press, Press and Dips will give you big triceps...

The Chins will do wonders for your biceps...

Power cleans are a pretty technical movement... You may need coaching here...

Just did some research on the Starting Strength program. I'm gonna scrap my old program and go with that. I can lift 50kg's doing Squats and the same on the Bench, started at 25 so I've made a bit of progress. I haven't been doing any deadlifts at all, first time I tried them I injured my back, so I just didn't try again :(

The program I'm gonna try:

WORKOUT A
Squats 3 x 5
Bench Press 3 x 5
Deadlift 1 x 5
Weighted Dips 2 x 5 to 8

WORKOUT B
Squats 3 x 5
Press 3 x 5
Power Clean 3 x 5
Weighted Chin Ups 3 x 10

Was just wondering (since I've been training for a while) whether I should up the amount of sets for each exercise, or just leave it the way it is.
Also, one last question: The press exercise.. is that referring to a military press or something similar?

Thanks heaps Nazzy. And everyone else too, great help. I can see this forum being very useful in the future.

Cheers El Freako...

Just looking at your numbers... I would love to one day be pulling those....

From memory Rip uses the press in the begginers program and then the push press comes into play in the intermediate program...

Eitherway its good to see jsncrs come over from the darkside... :cool:

I think you could get away with push-pressing too but I would most definitely recommend military pressing.

Great advice from everyone here, nazzysmith summed it up well.

So basically what everyone is saying is compound movements >>>> isolation movements.
And keep either adding more weight or more reps every workout.

My routine is

squat 3x8
military press 3x8
bench press 3x8
bent row 3x8
deadlift/romanian deadlift 1x5 / 3x8 ( I alternate these)

When I make all 3x8 reps on an exercise, I up the weight. The next session I may only push 8,7,6 reps at the new weight but as long as I make 8,8,6 I have made progress and keep going till I reach 8,8,8 then up the weight again.

Thats just an example of what I do, pick a routine and stick with it for 6 months and if you are eating well, you should put on weight like no tomorrow