• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Southbank / South Melbourne gym recommendations

Stewstews

Small Fry
Hey all,

Currently on the hunt for a new gym and thought I'd throw this out there for any input. I live near Crown in Melbourne.

Joined Fitness First Platinum near a year a go (so could train with an experienced mate), but I'm more than self capable now and want somewhere closer/better/cheaper.

My female housemate is also interested in your recommendations, though she is probably looking for slightly different things than me.

For me I need somewhere that is good value, with good equipment that you can get access to when you want it, has decent opening hours, PTs that don't try and push you into weekly 1-on-1 training with them, and a mix of people - I don't want to walk into a place filled with enormous guys only.

Housemate uses Jetts at moment (Docklands) but wants somewhere closer, similarly cheap and bonus if the gym has some sort of access/share arrangement in Auckland as travels there a lot.

This is what I've been able to research so far:

Olympia Gymnasium | Inflicting pain since 1991 - $540 per year, close and seems highly rated on this forum. Open till 10pm weekdays and 7pm weekends. I will try this one next.

Ultimate You - 300 City Road, brand new, lots of gear and cheap (well, it was when it launched - need to check what it is these days, suspect has increased). See below for review.

Genesis Fitness Clubs - Leading Health & Fitness Clubs In Australia - The 2nd closest option. $19.50 per week if just use that gym, $23.95 if you want access to their other gyms (about 20 in Melbourne). Could be option for housemate but could do better value I reckon.

Re-Creation SOUTH MELBOURNE Main Menu.htm - Decent hours, no idea price but assuming similar inside to FF.

Doherty's Gym - Brunswick + City + Dandenong + Campbellfield - 24 hours, pretty close by on Flinders. Apparently cheap. Got to admit it doesn't look too inviting but hey I won't judge a book by it's cover until I've been in there.

Gym South Melbourne | DJs Gym | Real Gym, Experienced Personal Trainers, Yoga & Boxing - Checked these guys last night, close and good service. Reasonable price. Opening hours an issue for me - apparently 24 hour coming soon (hope they were telling the truth!).

BODY MATRIX - Looks like a gym/studio nearby, can't work out from website quite what it is. Run by "Mr Australia 2010". Eeek.

Curves South Melbourne | Home - Girls only gym option for housemate. Short walk away. Know nothing else about it.

Any others?

Appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Dohertys in the city, just opposite Southbank almost under Flinders street Station, I would not even entertain going elsewhere with such an awesome gym so close....

Doherty's hands down. It won't look or feel like FF but it's a real gym. You'll find everything that you need to achieve whatever you are trying to achieve.

If you aren't convinced then ask them all for casual visit prices or free passes and try them out without committing to a membership. If they won't do that then they are hiding something.

If you aren't convinced then ask them all for casual visit prices or free passes and try them out without committing to a membership. If they won't do that then they are hiding something.

That's good advice.

Visit those gyms the days you are working out to get a feel for the place, nothing worse than a gym crowded with kids.
Pick the one most suited to you, the extra money you might pay is well spent.
Also review the payment plans, paying yearly can work out.

I'd be interested in you keeping us posted on your pregress.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input so far. Started with DJs last night and will progressively visit the others over the next few weeks on trial visits and report back.

I'm not terribly upset with Fitness First, I use the QV "platinum" one and it seems well equipped relative to their normal clubs and not overly crowded. But somewhere closer and cheaper will definitely do the trick!

Doherty's I'll definitely have to try soon on weight of numbers of recommendations both now and in the past.

I guess my "outside" impression of the place was formed walking past it often very late at night after a night out in the city, and finding groups of guys 5 times my size standing out the front, in tank tops way too tiny for them showing off waxed chests, calling each other "bro"... That, and I might get shot out the front :p

I've been wanting to switch my workouts to lunchtime near work, south melbourne... so i walked down and signed up at Olympia since it's close enough to walk there and back and workout in my lunch break and it looks to be a good no frills gym.

I've been wanting to switch my workouts to lunchtime near work, south melbourne... so i walked down and signed up at Olympia since it's close enough to walk there and back and workout in my lunch break and it looks to be a good no frills gym.

That's the first one on my list, as it is close and also seems to have good recommendations. You only just sign up? Be interested to get your thoughts once you've been there a few times.

I'll be going on Friday for my first workout (haven't got my gear today, so i'll workout near home tonight), when i walked in at lunchtime today there were only a few people training (all reasonably built, but not huge), no loud pumping music like your typical generic gym, lots of plate loaded machines and free weights, I was considering signing up at re-creation south melbourne, but this is probably more suited. (Not so good for watching the gym bunnies though!)

I guess my "outside" impression of the place was formed walking past it often very late at night after a night out in the city, and finding groups of guys 5 times my size standing out the front, in tank tops way too tiny for them showing off waxed chests, calling each other "bro"... That, and I might get shot out the front :p

Don't worry about getting shot. Melbourne people are pretty good at only shooting the people that they want to shoot.

Don't worry about getting shot. Melbourne people are pretty good at only shooting the people that they want to shoot.

Lol wasnt it a guy from Melbourne that shot that Jac fella in the bicep and some random chick in the stomach at Robina Town Centre on GC a few months back?

Doherty's.

I had the same reservations - they were all baseless.

Haven't trained as hard, solo, as I have there for many years.

$10 casual.

Ok I will spell it out.

There are other comparable or better gyms around that cater for everyone's needs.

Yeah I like cables and leg presses and leg curls hence you won't find me in a PTC. No offence Trent :)